• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

when did you first dive

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

tinnedtuna

Jul 30, 2012
obviously its going to be different for each person but i spend most of my time on the surface and have only recently started attempting to dive down and it really feels wierd ,how long did it ake you to start diving to the bottom and staying there ,,if i,m honest it wasnt that i didnt want to go under its more a case of i was gobsmacked at how interesting i found it being on the surface just looking at stuff ,i would love to hear others expeirience and there road from surface swimming to bottom hunting

I have always been comfortable in the water science I was very young. I grew up in south Lousiana diving in rivers and lakes. I can remember going on scuba diving tripswith my Dad in the Gulf of Mexico and snorkeling around when I was 8 I thnik i speared my first fish when i was about 12 years old at about 20 feet. I got my scuba diving liscense when i was 13 but have always had a passion for freediving. When i was 20 i moved to north California and fell in love with coldwater freediving and have been almost exclusively a freediver ever scence. I would reccomend some formal freediving training if you have it available to you it can greatly increase your water confidence through safe practices. If you have access to a pool it also helps to train your self to swim underwater in a more controlled enviroment. Just out of curiosity where are located now.

A number of years ago when very young I got my first mask and snorkel. :)

Now I still enjoy the amazing views of under water life and I'm just happy to be out and doing something I enjoy.

I gather it is about bagging a fish for some people, but for me it's about enjoyment; sure I'll gun a fish for dinner, but it needs to be an enjoyable day out or I might aswell buy a fish and go swimming in a pool, it would be a lot cheaper. :naughty

If you enjoy floating on the top and occassionaly going under to look or try and gun a fish; then that's your style, just have fun.:)

However, I do agree with safe practice and have found some improvement with breath holds from advice in other sections of the forum.

Any time I'm in water with a mask or goggles I like to hold my breath and swim under, providing the visability is ok.

Last edited:
i gave up smoking 7 months ago that was easy and i was a 40 a day man but i seem to have replaced it with chocolate and 1 and a half stone ,bummer ,,i just dont seem to be able to get under the water and i have 10 kg of weight ,,i,m thinking of trying a waist coat for the weights are they much better or is it just something that i will learn to do

A weight vest came very highly recommended by an experienced spear fisher, that's why I've ordered one. The weights I'll make myself as I've already got kg's of lead ingots.:)

The vests help distribute the weight rather than having it all in one place around the waist. Ankle weights can also help with distribution.:)

I'll likely have 4kg in weight vest, 600grams/0.6kg in each ankle strap (with quick release buckle) and hopefuly not too far from 4kg on the waist comprising of four 1kg rectangular weights.

I heard it will be easier to decend with better weight distribution, and even if it isn't, the theory that better balance would be achieved makes good sense.

I had my feet too high in the water whilst swimming and found it hard to stand up because my legs kept wanting to float above my waist. I thought it was a normal issue, but having vest and ankle weights explained to me by someone (thank you Christian) who knew what the were doing I have been enlightened. Unfortunately not with my spelling. Sorry for any mistakes.:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT