• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

When to defend yourself

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

LittleFatMan

Mar 12, 2008
Hello all,

At what time (if ever) should I spear an aggressive shark?

Backstory: My buddy and I were out in the water. We use 2 meter (6 foot) polespears for hunting reef fish on a small remote subtropical Pacific island.

At about 4:30pm, toward the end of our day (7+ fish in our bag), we were approached by an aggressive white tip shark. White tips are usual by us and not a cause for alarm. They frequently check us out, see what's going on, and move along.

This guy was different. White tips near us will usually check us out while staying near or at the sea floor. This guy came up to the surface. He continually circled us, venturing nearer and nearer, coming within 2-3 meters (6 - 10 feet). My buddy and I had stopped diving down at this point and were about 6 feet apart from one another. The white tip swam toward us and it seemed his intended course was to go between me and my buddy. He didn't, swerving at the last moment, continuing to encircle us. My buddy and I soon after got out of the water and finished our day.

Later, after talking about and considering the encounter, I thought that if this were to happen again, I would choose to spear the white tip if he tried to swim between my buddy and me. I have no desire to spear the white tips as they are generally friendly and beautiful. Although, the spears we use do not have the power to kill the shark, and I wonder if simply spearing him would provoke him. My end goal is simply to get the white tip to f%$k off.

What course of action do you recommend?

I also spear here in the pacific. I've only encountered three sharks in my many many days spearing. None of them have bothered me like this, as of yet. Usually they turn the other way or don't pay attention to me. However, I watch a ridiculous amount of videos pertaining to spearfishing on youtube. In most of the shark related videos that involve contact are usually the fishermen jabbing the shark in the face with whatever they have, polespear/gun. Not actually trying to spear the shark, mostly just to deter them from getting closer.

Reactions: TEXASFIVEGUN
You would certainly lose your spear if you shot him. I have had similar "interest" by large baracuda in cayman and would just recomend jabbing at them, in the face area lol. Especially dont shoot him if your tethered to your rig

There are a couple of pretty badly behaved species with white edges on thier fins,"silver vee's" & the "oceanic white tip" they are very different in behaviour to "white tip reef sharks". Have you identified the species correctly?

In my experience the "silver vee's"(unlike "white tipped reef sharks) behave in the manner you have described, they are up on the surface with you & in your face, often there is more than one. Its pointless to stay in the water as they will take every fish you shoot & they can be so agressive as to be dangerous. Leave the water or move to another location or be prepared to kill them as they arrive. (I'm not condoning you kill them at all, just making a point).

I doubt it was an "oceanic white tip" or your story would be more dramatic. I don't like these fish much when spearfishing. They don't muck around like tigers or whalers they usually just want to bite everything to see if its edible. I don't know if they like the taste of humans or not, but I'd prefer not to be "tasted". If one of these fish was comming at me then I'd hit it with everything I had. If I'd seen it first & had the time I'd be heading for or in the boat before this could happen. You are not likely to have time to fit a powerhead with these fish in the circumstances I've encountered them (burleying/chumming for tuna). They are not common & I've never seen two together. Just for conversation (someones likely to bring them up) power heads are for killing/hunting sharks IMO not for protection whilst speaefishing as there is rarely enough time to fit one if its really needed.

Putting a spear into a shark is not going to provoke an attack, it will be too busy trying to fight the spear & to get rid of it. It is most likely going to have a long & painfull death from the spear & not something that should be done lightly. If its just a white tipped reef shark I think a jab or a quick lunge would be enough to sort out dominance, & I wouldn't be too concerned by them.

Good identification of species is important when swimming with sharks.

Cheers Sharkey

PS. If someone does kill a shark with a speaergun even in self defence please don't post it on social media, no one will think you're a hero & it just brings too many negatives onto our sport.

Shrks which I encountered like reef nd white tips were all well behaved but it changed once I snagged an octopus I had to give to them as I was alone and a good kilomètre from the beach. Once I gave them the octopus it was game over. I swam back with my bag of fish with no problem. Lesson learned.

Reactions: foxfish
Is this proper form when defending from some aggressive sharks?

Basically, the guys in this video wait until the sharks get real close, then poke em with their spear. Nothing dramatic.

My concern is that instead of scurrying off, the shark will snap back and take a swipe at my hand. No?

Awesome vid, you don't see that amount of fish in many places nowadays!

Is this proper form when defending from some aggressive sharks?

These weren't aggressive sharks in the slightest. Confidently pushing them away is fine when they are like this. If there was a more aggressive species or the temperament of the sharks changed (which it can do quickly) then landing fish would become more difficult, & it would be wise to leave the water for a bit & move a few hundred yards till things became less sporty.

Foxfish there is a place in the southern coral sea where larger aggregations of wahoo can still be expected in early november each year. The density is much higher than in this video & the aggregation can be a klm long (thousands of fish). The shelf rises up fast to 60m before it becomes a coral atoll. The wahoo are usually up current of this dropoff. The wahoo on the last trip I was on ranged from 20kgs for the small fish to 50kgs for the large, with 30kgs being the average. There are some big tuna at this location too the best I've done here is 82 kgs but there are doggies a foot longer than this cruising deep below the action on the surface. Its hard to burley them up & when they do come up its hard to land them once speared if they aren't stoned. I've never been to this spot without at least one sailfish being speared (I don't shoot them anymore myself), & some fair-sized marlin occasionally swim through checking out the commotion. There still is some amazing places & sights, but the world is shrinking & there are fewer & fewer remote places left anymore. Anyway I hope this last paragraph has brought some sunshine to what seems to have been a wet winter up there for a lot of you folks.

Cheers Sharkey

Reactions: foxfish
Hmm, that's impressive though when one is not alone its a given that your mate will watch your back..i have not encountered that many Wahoos but in parts of Cuba Barracudas patrol with Carangue don't know the english name, white tips r never far, in my encounters with sharks they seem timid almost aloof but always ready to cash in a free meal. Not surprisingly they go batty over cephalopods its my personal expérience

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…