• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wher to shoot a big lingcod to stone it?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ocean_314

Oct 4, 2006
I have finished my holster for a 24" phnumatic speargun. Now my question is when i come accross a big lingcod where is the best place to shoot it. In the top of the head towards the bottom of the jaw, through the eyes or gills or?? I get real close to these fish and can shoot them from inches away.

right between the eyes seems to work well.

be carefull with holstering a speargun, never trusted safeties that much...

right between the eyes seems to work well.

be carefull with holstering a speargun, never trusted safeties that much...

I really do second that, if you get real close to the fish, is it possible to load when you see them, or do they not hang around? I watched your thread about your decision of getting a holstered gun, so i look forward to hearing your results :D.

As for stoning... for most species the general spot would be if you imagined drawing an equilateral triangle on the top of the head with both eyes being the bottom corners, then the spot to shoot would be where the apex of the triangle would fall. Of course this is an impossible shot if you find a fish from the side or if one is free swimming, however for stationary bottom fish, the shot can be made.

Hope that makes sense.

Huw.

That's a brain shot 100% effective if you can get it. 99% of the time you won't get that chance. The spine follows very roughly the lateral line, damage this and your fish is disabled. For a side shot try and get as close to the lateral line as possible and as close to the head as possible. It may not die but it sure as hell won't be on top form swimming :king the rest is up to you :friday

I say get as close as you can, look it right in the eyes, and ask yourself should I shoot this fish or is it more valuable alive in the ocean where I can come and see it again and again. If on the other hand you are really hungry and need it to feed the family then shoot in a way that brings the quickest death.

Lingcod have massive heads and pretty small brains, but if you are close enough I'd go for top middle of the head, I usually aim for that or right behind the gillplate in the spine. Be careful with big ones in holes, they usually have backdoors and will bolt if you don't stone it. I have passed up some huge lings that were deep in holes while using a small gun. I was just given a scubapro pneumatic pistol and want to make a holster for it, how did you make yours? Be safe and good luck!
Kale

Thanks everyone. I will give you a report on how my holster works and some pics in a month or so when the ocean calms down. I have been hunting with a pole spear and i useally get very close to the lings.
shoutatthesky lingcod are pelntiful and are a great food fish. California has very strict rules on the take of all the ocean fish to maintain the high numbers.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT