• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Where are the triggerfish?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
In Japan they eat Kawahagi, which I think is the same trigger fish. I have had sashimi and the liver is ground down with soy sauce and some raw ginger. It looks horrible but tastes really good. You can also ea the liver sashimied. Never heard of a problem with Ciguatera.
Season is usually summer.

Here are a couple of links:

Seasonal Fishes 7: Kawahagi/Thread-sail Filefish « SHIZUOKA SUSHI & SASHIMI: The other Jewels of Japan

Encyclopedia of Sea Fish | Cooking a La Carte | How to carve fish | Kawahagi

Scott , have you tried the back of the Lead Stone , they sometimes hang around there .

Ok mate will give it a go. What entry point is closest other than hopes nose as I was thinking of doing it on the kayak?

Um , probably Meadfoot car park , in which case you could try Thatcher Rock and Thatcher Gut as well . Watch out for boat traffic if you fish the Gut though ! When I lived in Devon the Lead Stone was one of my favourite spots ( I can say that now I'm gone ) , fish the gullies to the seaward side and the left -hand side looking out to sea . Also it's possible to fish the edge of the strong tide as it swings around the island , whilst lying in calm water , this can be very productive . Just to whet your appetite , be prepared for big Bass to wing out of the current , buzz you and zoom off again , heart stopping stuff . Good luck , hope you get as much pleasure from the Lead Stone as I did ( and as many fish ) .

Cheers Dave. Will take camera with so if I see any triggers i will try and get a pic.

That's an interesting way of preparing Trigger fish. They are an odd shape so it is hard to know what to do with them. I caught one & filleted it. Despite being thin it filleted beautifully, probably because of the firm flesh. But the Japanese way shown on the above link is good because it seems to preserve flesh around the (substantial) head area. I guess eating a lot of fish, the Japanese have learnt how not to waste it.

Trigger fish are considered tropical here but a few seem to get washed here - presumably across the Altlantic by the gulf stream from the Gulf of Mexico(?). I've only seen them once and it was Summer - many fish find it too cold here in winter. So it's something of novelty. Not really rare but not common either. Delicious

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…