• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

where are you from?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Where Have You Dived?

• Africa

Votes: 18 5.1%
  • Australia

Votes: 18 5.1%
  • Asia

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • Europe

Votes: 166 47.0%
  • North America

Votes: 110 31.2%
  • South America

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • Somewhere Else?

Votes: 21 5.9%

• Total voters
San Antonio, Texas!.. thats probably the dryest, murkiest area listed yet! I'm actually in Colorado right now (not much more than streams and rivers.. and snow in May) So I've never been to good places to actually do what I'm pretending I'm doing (swimming in a pool, and holding my breath in a chair). There's places I would love to go - Australia and Italy because I've never been out of the states, and think I'd like them, but If I got out of the states, I would probably want to go EVERYWHERE! so maybe I'll get lucky and get posted in all kinds of neat places in a few years? (more than just desert, I hope!)

i m from Egypt and currenlty living in Holland. When i used to live in Egypt i used to go to sinai on weekends, enjoying the contrast of the reddish mountians and the amazing red sea warm blue calm water and colorfull corals and fish, special spots: Dahab, Fjord, Basata, Nuweiba and Taba.

I have also done some freediving here in Holland and even though u dont see much, the cold water and low visability is an opportunity to go inside yourself and focus more on the freedive feeling as u go deeper, Special spots; Aquabest, and i heared Zeeland is very interesting...!!!

Amr

I'm from UK, but currently residing in Hong Kong. Only started diving over here.

Water temp in summer is around 26c, in winter around 16c - it could be lower, but that is the coldest that I went diving in). The visibility here rangers from 2m to 15m. Marine life is not too bad.

Hooyah!

I'm from the great outdoors! Canada.

To be more precise, I'm from the only french speaking province: Quebec ( I need to move out quick... :head ) I may move to Sweden one day...

Freediving isn't great here compared to scuba ( Which I happen to do...)... :D

I’m living I Luleå, in the north part of Sweden, and the last three years I lived in Kiruna.

Here in the northern part of Sweden we got really nice winters and ice diving is not a problem, if you like being outside in -40 C

If you are in this part of our country (in summertime) contact me and I show you my favorite diving spots. That is if you like freezing your buts of.

from Gold Coast, Australia
now living in Pattaya, Thailand

average-good diving in both places....can't complain!

Arlington, Virginia, USA

... by way of Monterey, CA, where I didn't do any diving :head ; San Jose, Costa Rica, where I did do some diving :) ; Seattle, WA; Washington, DC; Cairo Egypt, where I got my PADI OW certification; Casablanca, Morocco; Westport, CT; Panama City, Panama; New Canaan, CT; Costa Rica (first time); and Guatemala, where I came up for air from my mom's amneotic sac.

Hey there folks,

As you can see from my info to the left, I'm stuck flippin'n'floppin' like a fish in a dry lake here in Dallas TX!

Texas may well have the largest spring-fed pool in the world, but I'd like to get away to Greece, or somewhere else in the Mediterranean. Anybody have a couch to crash on and a nice place to dive?

And then maybe possibly some frequent flyer miles you don't need?

We have a heap of lakes here in Texas, too, but they're rediculously boring, except for jumping into from an old rope swing.

We have plenty of wildlife in our lakes, too, but the most you have to worry about here is the occasional Cottonmouth water moccasin (poisonous water snake), snapping turtles (I've seen one, 3ft. long, snap a pushbroom handle in half!), and the (usually shy) alligator (although a charging 16-footer during mating season definitely makes anybody start from swimming, to running on top of the water in the opposite direction).

Now, you get to talkin' bout the Gulf of Mexico? You can find some decent-sized sharks. They're no great whites, mind you, but we've unfortunately had our share of shark attacks and fatalities.
But that's mostly inshore business.

Its nice to know that there is such a plethora of freedivers spread out there, though. I hope everyone's doin' well where they are!

Ya'll keep your lungs nice and dry.

Last edited:
Vienna on a hot summer day ...

I am from Vienna, Austria. The picture below is a snapshot of me diving into Vienna's flood control channel that is running parallel to the Danube river. The Danube Island lies in between both waters and runs parallel for about 22 kilometers to the Danube. Locks separate the "Neue Donau" (New Danube) from the main river. When the water level of the Danube is normal, then the locks are closed.

The Danube Island is the favorite recreation area near Vienna for the Viennese. Depending on the closeness to the next lock downstream you can find water depths between 2 (upstream) and 6 meters (downstream). Its water quality is unexpectedly good, considering that it is running right thru the city. My dive on the picture is less than 100 metres away from the subway-station "Neue Donau" which can be reached after a short 10 minute ride from the center.

Obviously, it offers more opportunity for highdiving, than for freediving. But it is also an excellent place for doing long distance swims with a width between 120 and 250 meters. The upper storage lake is nearly 12km, the lower one nearly 8 km long.

The next closest deep waters from Vienna are:
Neufelder See (40km - 40 min ride - max. depth: 23m, viz: 8m)
Erlaufsee (120 km - 90 min ride - max.depth: 38m, viz: 10-15m)
Attersee (240 km - 2½ hour ride - max. depth: 170m, :duh viz: 5-15m )

BTW, here is a nice photographic report about Erlaufsee on my hp (it's in german): Freediving in Austria

Have safe and pleasant dives and let's hope everything works out fine for Herbert in Spetses !

Attachments

• u6.jpg
    u6.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Gerald,
Now I know why you belive in God so much, you do a lot of praying on the way down! :D

Nice picture!

Adrian

The city of the Bridges"

The city of Matanzas, which was founded in 1693 with the initial name of San Severino y San Carlos, and was also known as Cuba's Athens or America's Venice, because of its rivers, bridges and canals, developed a busy commercial activity and cultural life at the time.

_______

Every year we celebrate what they call " Acuatic Carnaval" in that river-- People participate in diferente competicion as diving from the top of the briges or crossing the crossing the river as doing dinamic not fins--

I remember the day when I participate in crossing the river--that day where 4 people competing with me - but something happen to me instead of swiiming across the river because of the bad visibilite I was swiiming a long the river--- my friend told me that the guy that was leading this competicion start talking by the mic say some of the guy are missing because the other guy reached the other side of the river and I was still simming in the wrong direccion a long the river I don't know how many meter - people start lookin for me underwater until I came out of the water-- and I saw that the competicion was finish - I felt like I was the one that won the compiticion
but they give the "TROFEO" to somebody else--

My place

This is where I dive.
A fjord on the West coast of Sweden.
It is 68 meters deep where the boats are moored.
Temperature; 21 (at best). Visibility 3-8 meters.

Picture from a competition this summer.

Attachments

• gasaklavan-vytext.jpg
    gasaklavan-vytext.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 206
Reactions: Gerald
canimar bridge

Gerald - I don't know how high it is - but it really high a friend of mine El Gago a spearfishing guy drop down there one time - just a few people have done that in that bridge.

by the way if any of you like to go to cuba to freedive and do not want to go to the hotel or look for a good price can go to my friend house El gago- he rent his house for a good price- just a few meters from Matanzas bay- and 30 kilometer from varadero beach---nice view- also the house next to his was the Pipin house-

visit

www.mipesca.friendpages.com

saludos

hi

Nice place cebaztian 8 m visibility? well better the last place I went to dive "Sandy hook " 0 visibility wow

Great Replies

Thank You all for Your great replies!

I admit, I like the kudos for the dive and for the great picture (even though I obviously didn't take the picture).

But I also wanted You to notice that Austria and specifically Vienna are great places to live in. Just look at the pics posted earlier in this thread by st3fan. Besides, I am only a six hour car ride away from the east coast of Istria near Rijeka with excellent viz and deep water, just skip to the link below:
Brcec in October 2003

@cebaztian: Your pic from sweden is really inviting! makes me wanna go there!

@neshamah: What makes this bridge really attractive is the colour of the water below. Besides, there is no traffic except one motor-cyclist who served me as a reference point to "measure" the bridge: it is approx. ~30mt/100ft high.

Wherever You go, wherever You live, creation is beautiful and a silent witness. I like this thread in particular, where people have a peaceful exchange about the beauty that surrounds them without competing or arguing.

In reality, there is only one Champion, it is the One Who made all of these things. This Champion never competes with us, instead He choose to loose (2000 years ago) in order for us to win. This sounds like foolishness to many, but actually it is a powerful way to live. I definitely don't want to step on anybodies philosophical or religious toes, but it is hard to keep quiet about something that has given me and millions of others so much inward success, love, joy and peace.

cheers
Gerald

Last edited:
hi

What makes this bridge really attractive is the colour of the water below. Besides, there is no traffic except one motor-cyclist who served me as a reference point to "measure" the bridge: it is approx. ~30mt/100ft high.

Yes the rivers is beatifull there is to many thing to see there - the fauna - you can ride horse ect

I was trying to remember the high of the brige and you did it using the motor-cyclist as a reference - that was good-jaja

yes Not to much traficc- it will be good right? no polution

HI guys,

Water Rat here...printed this thread out to read it when I got time...wanted Gerry's HIGH DIVING PIC, WoW!!!
I've never had the chance to do anything flamboyant--my BIG DREAM is diving in the Australian Great Barrier Reef.
Jaster, don't feel too bad--I'm currently limited to the YMCA swimming pool...and my own bed. The Y is now closed for repairs, so that leaves me with my own bed...or apnea walks around the neighborhood--I just started trying that out. It is harder than I expected! I can do 6 in my own bed--all I'm doing is lying there--not using up all that much energy!

Greetings from the Northwestern United States! I dive many of the local lakes here in Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho. There are many deep and clear lakes to choose from. In fact, Lake Pend O'reille in Northern Idaho was used as a submarine training base and is now used for sonar testing due to it's great depth, clarity, and quietness. It's cold but great for free diving. I also spend lots of time in Puget Sound and The San Juan Islands. I've attached a photo of my dive buddy Chip swimming with the Killer Whales off of San Juan Island. Those who brave the cold are rewarded. The giant octopus here are remarkable!

Attachments

• chip&orcas.jpg
    chip&orcas.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: flyboy748
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT