• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Where can I get freediving liability insurance?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kevtron

Sep 6, 2010
I recently was certified as an AIDA pool instructor (I'll finish off the open water stuff soon), and need to get liability insurance in order to complete the requirements for my cert with AIDA.

I was going to go with divermasterinsurance.com, since they actually also know what freediving is, and how to insure it, but when I went to check out I got a popup saying: "this policy is not available to you if you are a citizen of the USA or Canada, their territories or possessions," which I am.

So I went to diversalertnetwork.org, which doesn't have a clear link for liability, but I started clicking around just to see what I could find (they don't seem to know freediving well anyway), and immediately was asked "in which country do you reside: USA or Canada," which is neither for me. I live in Korea.

Any suggestions on where an expat American can get good liability freediver insurance as an instructor?

Well I've now been in touch with people at DAN USA, Asia, and Europe, and none are able to provide me with professional liability insurance as an American living in Korea.

This is proving surprisingly difficult.

Rovanpera: If you're teaching in the Philippines you must have liability. Where do you get yours from? Though if you're European you might be able to get it from them. I can't :(

Any other suggestions?

Well I've now been in touch with people at DAN USA, Asia, and Europe, and none are able to provide me with professional liability insurance as an American living in Korea.

Yep. That's the problem that I ran into as well also contacting all of them, and more. It's really hard to get it here. Also, Korea doesn't legally require liability for instructors. AIDA still does, but Korea doesn't. I ended up going with DAN's basic insurance, which at least has me covered. The best thing that I can do is to require that students have their own dive insurance.

friv11 - do you live in Korea as well? I see your location as Vietnam, but you said 'me... as an American living in Korea.' Or were you just checking for me?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT