• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Where do you put the Boingie?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Found a place online says 42 U.S. dollars for a 50 feet length of 1/2 inch diameter norprene tubing.

Reactions: Griff
Originally posted by Shadowkiller
The about the Riffe bungees is that they dont perish due to UV light like the rubber bungees (RA ect).

If only I could get that material here in Oz...:duh

ok... some clown seemed to think that this post needed negative karma:
"A little more time helping out rather then asking for recognition. Experianced is gained in dives not only from pages. Be very careful what you repeat."

Of course the person in question didnt sign their name... oh well, some people just dont have the spine...

FYI: I use a bungee on occasion. I make my own bungees. I know 2 people who own a Riffe bungee and have so for 3 years or more. My bungees perish after 6 months. So have other brands of bungee that use straight rubber (over various time periods). I have also spoken to Jay Riffe (in person) about what material he uses. I'm currently talking with the Norprene manufacturer Cingene linked me to about UV resistance of their product...

So I know this from personal experience and talking to the various manufacturers.

Reactions: Griff
Shadow,

if you can find the non-pharmaceutical grades ones because the pahrma grade norprene is a bit pricey. They are used for fuel lines and dairy industries for example.

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd let you know what is going on in the bungie style of bringing in big fish. When I first started diving on the Ambar out of Cabo with my buddy Rick, we were using the same bungie set up that Terry Maas, Ron Mullins (who came up with the idea), Gerald LIm and thier gang. A few years later, we all decided that there had to be something better, because even though the norprene worked as a bungie, the rebound time for the material to go back to its original length after a big tuna would stretch it out was too long. In other words the line stayed sretched out and you essentially had a longer floatline. Ron came up with an idea using another elastomeric material and found that it worked better and Rick provided Ron with enough parachute cord to make a large quantity. We have been using this new material for the last five years or so and found that it works better, but is a more exspensive material. I will post the 2nd part since this is a long post.

Daryl

Hi Guys,

When you are going to spend a lot of time and money diving in an area that could hold a potential world record, it pays to try and use the very best materials to help you land your fish.
Norprene is great, but not the best.
Also it does have a shelf life. Since retiring the norprene and just using it here for small onos, we have had three break leaving us to fight a fish with 300ft of cord. That is a major pain in the ass. I also had one break while fighting a tuna and I was never more afraid of geting tangled than that instance.
So to make a long story short, there are better materials out there than norprene. Check out neoprene.

Aloha, Daryl

Reactions: Cingene
Originally posted by Daryl Wong
A few years later, we all decided that there had to be something better, because even though the norprene worked as a bungie, the rebound time for the material to go back to its original length after a big tuna would stretch it out was too long. In other words the line stayed sretched out and you essentially had a longer floatline.

That's the problem I had! Everyone says such great things about norprene, I thought I was the only one that had this issue. Glad to hear it from one of the masters himself ;)

Reactions: Cingene
OH NO,

Don't tell me it's back to the drawing board with the bungie material!!! So now it's NEOprene? Alright now, who has the down low on this? I have norprene coming out of my ears and somebody says NEOprene..:hmm Ha ha...ok. Will have to look for some.

Hi All,

I don't mean to alarm everyone, and I still use my old norprene lines. It is just that the retraction period is anywhere from 5min or longer depending on HOW much it has been stretched. The way you want the bungie to work is to stretch and want to return to its original length quickly. That way it cusions and helps to fight the fish. Norprene if it gets stretched from 50ft to 150ft, then you will have a 150ft line till you bring the fish up. May as well use a rope. But at lest on the initial run it will cushion the run by stretching. When you stop and fight the fish then its like using a regular vinyl tagline. It is also very weak it it gets a small nick in it. It is hard to tell when you get a nick, but when it breaks, that is where the nick was. Not good for Reef diving.
Bottom line.... for small fish under 100#'s ok, bigger fish not so good.

Aloha, Daryl

Daryl,

Have you used silastic tubing for a bungie material? This one is not quite as abrasion resistant as the norprene but it snaps back into shapealmost instantly. I am thinking that in the bluewater it might work fantastically. I sent some to Rigdvr for a trial, since he does a lot of the bluewater hunting. I am not sure how it is with the UV rays but we have sterilized this stuff and still held it's physical shape and strenth as far as we are concerned in the pharma field. Rigdver has to come back with a report I guess and see how this material holds up. Meanwhile back to slow retracting norprene...ha!

Daryl,

I was contemplating on trading you some silastic tubing for some saimin and chicken katsu from L & L. I miss that place that bragh.

Hi Cingene,

Yes, we have used a material similar to silastic and make floatlines with a variety of materials. We have found that much of the stretch is determined by the durometer of the material. If it is too hard, then the line is like a coil of wire and has very little stretch, and if it is too soft, then it stretches a lot, but still takes time to return to its original length. We still think the Neoprene material is one of the better materials to use. Then Norprene.
Also we think the idea of putting three times the amount of internal cord inside isn't that critical.
This is because when the fish pulls while you are holding the line, it never streches 3x the length. Instead you get pulled under! So you have to let the line out anyway. What you want the bungie for is to take the shock of the initial run and some when you are fighting the fish.
Oh, and Eddie Flores the owner of L&L is opening franchise's through out Calif. Some already in SD and LA. Look for the Bay area next.

Aloha, Daryl

Originally posted by Shadowkiller
ok... some clown seemed to think that this post needed negative karma:
"A little more time helping out rather then asking for recognition. Experianced is gained in dives not only from pages. Be very careful what you repeat."

Of course the person in question didnt sign their name... oh well, some people just dont have the spine...

Hi shadow, i wouldnt take the karma thing to seriously. i got unsigned positive karma for one of my arb posts in this thread, so i'm thinking someone is just stuffing around pushing buttons, and not trying to add any real comment.
wrt the bungies perishing due to sunlight, my RA bungie is still fine, its about 10 months old now, but then i'm only diving an average of 2 times/month, and its usually early morning or afternoon.

cingene, thanks for finding the price for me. 42 bucks is a bit steep , but then 50 feet is a lot.

Darly, thanks for the info regarding neoprene. would you please do us all a huge favour and post some of your hunting stories.

miles, got the pm, thanks

mark

Originally posted by Griff
Hi shadow, i wouldnt take the karma thing to seriously. i got unsigned positive karma for one of my arb posts in this thread, so i'm thinking someone is just stuffing around pushing buttons, and not trying to add any real comment.

Odd, I got one of those too... :confused:

Cingene, there are a couple L&L's in the bay area, went to one this weekend. There's also a bento place next to my house, but they charge $3 for a spam musubi :(

If someone offers you free karma, don't reject it:D :head

Last edited:
Cingene...I am putting the finishing touches on that silastic line this week. Supposed to have tested it this past weekend but the forecast was 20-30knt winds so we canceled....of course it was nice all weekend:head .

Daryl, is there any problem with silastic or you just found something better? Ive now got 2 norprene and the silastic line and will use them until they break b/c Im broke:D Marcel, Andrsn and I are trying to hook up a bluewater run the week of thanksgiving...hopefully we will have pics for you soon.

I agree Rigdvr,

That Neoprene tubing is quite pricey. Nothing beats free norprene and silastic tubing...:D Have to catch the ones that expires. Keep us informed on the silastic tubing ok? Goodluck on the Thanksgiving hunting trip.

Peace,

Marcos

reread Daryls thread and answered my own question...the silastic tubing I aquired seems to have ideal stretch and recovery rates to me...we'll see.

Daryl, have you seen Sheri's big tuna yet...landed with a Wong of course;)

Go Rig Go...if it works, I have bottomless source..well almost. A few atleast.:t

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT