• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Where have you dived?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Do you travel out of your country to dive?

• No

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Yes - Florida - North Caribbean (Cuba, Cayman, Jamaica)0

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Yes - Bahamas - BVI - Dutch Antillles

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Yes - Mexico - Honduras - Central America

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Yes - Barbados, Antigua, Grenada, Trinidad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Rest of Caribbean

• Yes - Mediterranean - Canary - Azores

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Yes - Indian Ocean-Mascarene Islands

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Yes - South Pacific - Australasia

• Yes - Northern Europe or Ice Diving

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
There are 100s of member of Deeper Blue, all from different countries, with different diving interests.

I was interested to know how many of you travel to dive, and where you have been...

I dove a lot in Grand Cayman and Cozemel, it is not to long a flight and Mexico is relatively inexpensive. But my favorite diving was at Cocos Island off Costa Rica. The water off the Texas coast is pretty murky until you get way south near Mexico. However there is some great diving off a live a board that is relatively inexpensive about a hundred miles off the coast called the Flower Gardens. Great vis and marine life.
www.scubadiving.com/article/0,7424,1-28-222-300,00.html

hi dallasdiver
with which dive centre did you dive in Cayman?

the link didn't work for me..

I used Parrots Landing the first few times, and then ownership changed hands and the new folks didn't seem to care about taking you to any place that wasn't close by. Then they had an accident where the compessor storage tank blew up and beheaded the employee standing next to it!!! The article I read about the accident said that the storage tank was actually a old WWII torpedo casing that was not design for that purpose. I guess with time and being exposed to so much moisture, it finally gave out.
Last time I used Red Sails and Fish Eye dive shop which were both nice. Fish Eye was especially good on the night dive. Some decent reef accessable from shore and only a short swim at Eden Rock and Devil's Den reef. Also just behind Sunset house Hotel you can swim out to the underwater statue. Not much depth at these sites though, if my memory serves me right, it about forty five to fifty feet at Devil's Den.

This is another site you might be able to access:
www.flowergarden.nos.noaa.gov but the article I tried to link earlier is better. If you do a search on the web for Texas Flower Gardens, and look for an article called Ten things to love about the Flower Garden Banks. The company that runs the diving out to the Gardens also does a dive on the way back in to port at a oil rig. It's like a blizzard of fish around the legs of the oil plateform.

I dont travel anywhere to dive since the med is good enough for me... I would like to travel and dive in other countries :D

Thailand
Northern Repulic of Cyprus
BC (Canada)

All freediving and bi-products of travel for other reasons.

Recently saw a documentary on the Yongala, off the coast of Australia. Anybody heard of it or been there? It looked incredible! I went to a few dive sites to look for good representation of it, and they did it a horrible injustice with their pictures, when compared to the video footage in the documentary.

Besides Hawaii, been diving in Fiji a couple of times. Plenty of fish and sharks.

Brad

All began in Eastern shores of the Black Sea.
The UK at the moment.
All over mainland Greece and numerous islands.
Croatia.
Turkey (Bodrum).
Cyprus (South).
Tunisia.
Belize.

Need to go to Hawaii eventually. Those Uhu look hauntingly chunky and tasty. Maybe next year :(

Uhu are okay, Uku (green jobfish) are much better. Raw or cooked, never had it taste bad.

Brad

Dallas diver.. Parrots landing has been bought by Don Foster's Dive. it's revamped and looks great. yeah a very sad accident at Parrots Landing.
sunset's is fun. that mermaid... funny, the only part of that statue which is total clean, are the breats, have you noticed?? :)

Turtle Reef was the best shore dives for me in Cayman. the shore diving is great.. it's normally 40-60 feet along the wall and then you can swim a further 10 minutes out to the dropoff and then its... DEEEEEEEPPPPPPP....

Fiji

hi Brad

any recommendations for Fiji? Who did you dive with? do you have any photos to share?

I dove with some local fishermen. Nothing fancy but the guys were awesome. I didn't have a gun or camera just a pole spear but even with this, we managed some decent fish in the lagoons. Can't wait to go back with my guns (and camera). Sorry but I don't know any dive operators there.

Brad

For me it's been Greece, mostly Mykonos and some mainland coast as a kid, then the Dominican Republic, BVI - Virgen Gorda and Anegada, and lastly Med coast on the north east of Spain: Costa Brava, L'Escala and Cadaques areas. I'll be hoping to travel for diving in the future.

Adrian

Most of my dives have been in the beautiful, but murky Lake Travis in Austin, Texas. However, I did travel to the Yuccatan to the El Placer Resort and had a week of incredible diving, including Bacalar Cenote.
I'm trying to get a new job with more money and a bit of travel, so I may get to dive in more places soon. :D

Outside of Israel:
Dahab - Egypt.
Ko Surin, Ko Tao - Thailand.
Ngapali beach - Myanmar (Burma).
In Israel:
Eilat (red sea) and Tel-Aviv area (dirty med).

I scubadived at:

Australia (Great Barrier Reef)
Fiji
Malaysia - Terenganu and Simpadan
Andros - Bahamas
Belize
Honduras
Turks & Caicos
Grand Cayman and Little Cayman
Chuuk (Truck) Lagoon
Island of Yap

So far I freedived only at:
Chuuk and Turks and Caicos

Unfortunatly, no. I do not travel out of my country to dive. But it would be pretty cool though. :D

hey Nexus... how was Fiji and Sipadan? Sipadan is really close to me, only a four hour flight

Sipadan was AWESOME. Turtles everywhere and huge schools of barracudas. On the night dives HUGE bumphead parrotfishes sleeping next to the wall. If you like macro, Mabul is amazing and it is just 20 minutes away from the Sipadan.

Highly recommended.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT