• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Where is best for freediving for a beginner, Hurghada or Dahab?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

gabe13

Jan 7, 2005
Hi, I'm a relatively inexperienced freediver and am looking to go on holiday this year. I'm looking to go to either Hurghada or Dahab and wonder which would be best suited. I would only really be looking to do shallow dives from the shore. If there was the possibility of training that would be a bonus. Also if anyone has any tips on where to stay that would be appreciated, Hurghada seems to be cheaper, but with big resorts.

Thanks,

Gabe

hi gabe,
i dont' like to advertise myself, but since nobody is answering you i'll have to do it:)
hurgada has lots of big private resorts, so once you are in one, this is where you are stuck and moving around to explore other places/reefs is going to be quite a challenge.
dahab is the best option if you want to be free to go where you like. there's no private beach/reef, and few very nice places for snorkelling/recreational freediving, all easily accessible from the beach.
if you are up for some training, you can come visit us:)

finding accommodation is quite easy. if you are on a budget, and don't want to book in advance you can go for a walk around different places and make up your mind. dahab is very small, so everything is concentrated in a very small area:)

hope it helps

linda

Believe me private beaches are a pain in the ass, then can charge up to 4 E for a crapy beach full of people Dahab is the tipical quiet and nice but if you i to scuba freedive or ramping in the desert it's your place ;)
gazzilions of scuba centers there is like the holy grail for us

Dahab is a Freediving Mecca.

Go and visit Linda and Lotta at Freedivedahab.
Link is above.

I think you will enjoy yourself a lot, learn to freedive well, and get used to taking lots of verbal abuse :)

I think you will enjoy yourself a lot, learn to freedive well, and get used to taking lots of verbal abuse :)
trullalla said:
ha ha, you obviously know me! but who are you?

An ex student maybe? And a satisfied one by the sound of it ;)

gabe, Dahab is better than Hurghada for all things to do with diving, especially learning. In Hurghada I went scuba diving and had to take a boat, whereas in Dahab the reef's right there, at the water's edge.

Last edited:
didn't see this till now but defo dahab and defo Linda and Lotta.

Things have changed quite a bit since the revolutions... Dahab is still a bedouin village with ever higher prices, whereas Hurghada has become a bustling modern city with more competitive pricing.
And yes, there is freediving possibilities in Hurghada and Makadi with good training depths and lots of live corals and fish to see.
For courses and coaching you can get it touch with Suzanne from FreediveEgypt.com, and for free buddies and training you can get in touch with David from @FreedivingHurghada on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/freedive.hurghada)

Hi, I'm a relatively inexperienced freediver and am looking to go on holiday this year. I'm looking to go to either Hurghada or Dahab and wonder which would be best suited. I would only really be looking to do shallow dives from the shore. If there was the possibility of training that would be a bonus. Also if anyone has any tips on where to stay that would be appreciated, Hurghada seems to be cheaper, but with big resorts.

Thanks,

Gabe

Hi gabe13,
If you like to train in a ‘free dive school’ Ok with the above propositions.

But you wrote : ‘I would only really be looking to do shallow dives from the shore.
I therefore recommend the Marsa Alam area where we have been 11 times.

Some of my freediving videos should convince you :
Please choose 1080p resolution ( sorry my comments are in French…my mother language from Belgium)
Zerib Kebir in 2018 =>

And old videos in 720p ( even in auto it’s sometime in 360p) and nowadays with VIMEO, the 5 first sec can be choppy

Gorgonia Septembre 2011

For "Abu Dabbab 2008 retro nostalgia"
At first I joke with my warning ...
Ignore it unless you understand French!
But chose 720p

Abu Dabbab 2008 rétro nostalgie =>

The best place is Mangrove Bay
Mangrove Bay Octobre 2009

If you have any question don't hesitate

Things have changed quite a bit since the revolutions... Dahab is still a bedouin village with ever higher prices, whereas Hurghada has become a bustling modern city with more competitive pricing.
And yes, there is freediving possibilities in Hurghada and Makadi with good training depths and lots of live corals and fish to see.
For courses and coaching you can get it touch with Suzanne from FreediveEgypt.com, and for free buddies and training you can get in touch with David from @FreedivingHurghada on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/freedive.hurghada)
There's more info about freediving in Hurghada, Egypt now on the website: https://freedivehurghada.com in English, Russian, Dutch, French, German and soon in Arabic too.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT