• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Where to buy a decent shark fin shaft?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fishstab

Jun 16, 2020
Currently in the early stages of building a 90cm euro wooden speargun (I might start a build thread soon). But basically I’ve got a few bits of wood laminated and that’s it.

I’m based in the U.K. but have bought most of the bits from neptonics in the states as I have a friend out there who can forward things on to me to avoid their $60+ overseas postage.

looking for a shaft now as I won’t be able to cut the track or trigger pocket until I have a shaft to test and adjust with. I’ve gone for a reverse trigger mech so would ideally like a shaft that takes advantage of this by having the shark fins nice and far back for good band stretch. Have noticed that some companies leave some ‘wasted space’ at the back of their shafts.

So far a I’ve really seen so far is a pathos 7mm single barbed shaft that spearfishing.co.uk offer:

Before i figuratively pull the trigger on this, do pathos make reasonable shafts? want something decent!

Reactions: Diving Gecko

Currently in the early stages of building a 90cm euro wooden speargun (I might start a build thread soon). But basically I’ve got a few bits of wood laminated and that’s it.

I’m based in the U.K. but have bought most of the bits from neptonics in the states as I have a friend out there who can forward things on to me to avoid their $60+ overseas postage.

looking for a shaft now as I won’t be able to cut the track or trigger pocket until I have a shaft to test and adjust with. I’ve gone for a reverse trigger mech so would ideally like a shaft that takes advantage of this by having the shark fins nice and far back for good band stretch. Have noticed that some companies leave some ‘wasted space’ at the back of their shafts.

So far a I’ve really seen so far is a pathos 7mm single barbed shaft that spearfishing.co.uk offer:

Before i figuratively pull the trigger on this, do pathos make reasonable shafts? want something decent!

Since you’re in the UK, you could go to the dark side - diveinn - despite it possibly being the farthest from supporting your local shops. But they actually have a really big selection of shafts, some of them really nice in my view.

I’ve only used one Pathos shaft and it’s a tricut and shoots left. Maybe their pencil shafts are alright or maybe it’s just mine that’s not perfect.

My fave now is Salvimar’s new line of Capture shafts. Really low profile fins that are already well rounded and deburred. Very cool small laser welds and that shaft has shot ultra straight.

A joint second might be sigalsub and devoto. Though I can’t remember the fin placement on those. It’s pretty well optimized on the Capture though. One advantage with Sigal is their big selection and the fact that you can get the shafts with cones already installed. Not a biggie for me as it’s not difficult to install on my other shafts.

As an outsider I had an EPS/Epsealon shaft which had some small pin “fins” so again really low profile. Countersunk pins might weaken the shaft a bit but for most small-medium fish it’s not an issue. But they did need a bit of deburring and polishing work.
Haven’t shot that shaft enough to have an opinion on how precise it is - I put it on a gun I made for a friend.

Pathos would be behind all of those in my book but granted, my data set is very limited with just one shaft of each. I’m sure others have a different list. But I’d definitely urge you to give the Capture a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Could try spearfishing.co.uk, they have might a Rob Allen or Pathos spear with sharkfins.

Thanks but I ended up going for a 7.1mm Riffe from spearfishing.de in the end.
Whilst I’m waiting for the bits to arrive I’m making sure I’ve got all the appropriate router cutters.

for the open track I’ve got a 8mm round nosed cutter which seems about righ for a 7.1mm shaft giving a little clearance either side. If it ends up being too tight I can always widen it with a 9mm cutter.

just been thinking about cut depth for the track, there seems to be a lot of variance here ranging from guys like riffe cutting it to about 50% of the shafts diameter (from what I can tell from pics at least) to other guys cutting it so deep you can’t see the shaft at all only the fins.

As this isn’t going to be a mega high powered gun I’m not overly concerned about the shaft whipping about too much so plan on cutting it to 50% of the depth of the spear as rife do (3.5-4mm in my case). Basically this will hopefully allow the trigger mechanism to be mounted slightly higher up and therefore the stock can be a lower profile effectively bringing the pistol grip higher up for accuracy.

anyone see any obvious issues with this?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT