• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Where to go spearfishing in mid-March

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

hyeparis

Oct 31, 2007
Hi, folks.
I wonder if you could help me decide where to go spearfishing in mid-March.
I am based in Moscow and I don't want to spend more than one thousand dollars on tickets alone and then spend smth like 10 hours in flight to get to Thailand, etc. So I wonder if there is any place within range of five hours flight in Europe, Northern Africa that you could give me tips on. All I require besides availability of some fish and permission to spear it is sun and more or less calm sea. Temperatures are not that relevant cause I have 10-mm, 8-mm and 7-mm and 3-mm suits.
Thank you!

Last edited:
i would suggest dubai, weather will be good and warm..lots of stuff to do at night or during the day if youre not spearfishing...and from what i hear, plenty of fish

Last edited:
roflroflrofl There'll be plenty of fish from now on that's for sure

Thank you all!
2 Spaghetti - can you please, if possible, let me know kindly where I can read up on what kind of fish and at what depths I can hope for - my comfortable depth is 10 meters.
2 Marwan - Hot damn! Is it legal to spearfish in Dubai? Where can I read up on this? Plz let me know!
2 Pastor - I am not asking Marco, because there is a chance I might go to Portugal on a business trip in May and, if that happens, I will take some days off to try spear there!

Hyeparis..
sara (island sands) would probably have more experience on these questions, but i dont think its illegal, there are spearfishing shops in dubai and there is a thread here that discusses spearfishing there, better chck it to be more acquainted with the rules
http://forums.deeperblue.net/dubai/51828-uae-oman-spearfishing-clubs-7.html#post686793
also we have some members here from that area, Nessim, SpeerO, Redline, the killers me...
you could ask them fr some more details

2 Marwan.
I don't think I would be able to check in a rubber boat with an engine free of charge on that flight to be able to go beyond the banned 2-mile area, but thanks!

Thank you all!
2 Spaghetti - can you please, if possible, let me know kindly where I can read up on what kind of fish and at what depths I can hope for - my comfortable depth is 10 meters.
!
sorry mate, fish are deep over there, like anywhere else in my country. On a lucky day you can still find the big amberjack at knee level water, but I wouldn't take a flight from Moscow hoping in a lucky day.
There are many wonderful places in Italy but there are NO fishy places left, not in shallow water.
Best of luck.

2 Marwan.
I don't think I would be able to check in a rubber boat with an engine free of charge on that flight to be able to go beyond the banned 2-mile area, but thanks!

could be worth checking with the guys there, they would probably know of people who organize boat trips to take you out...

Check with island sands, I think there is a shop there called Al Sammak who do spearfishing trips but I think they are 20m +

Edit Here's the email alsamakd@emirates.net.ae

Last edited:
Best thing IMHO: choose a nice place, with a nice sea, beautiful places to visit, a sweet weather, then pack your bags and just go, with no expectation of catching amounts of fish necessarily.
Speaking for one, many of my most pleasant dives ended with no fish on my stringer, especially in places I was not familiar with, but they were wonderful experiences anyway.
I wish you a wonderful holiday. Fish comes second.

2 Spaghetti - thank you! Don't get me wrong, but you must be living not far away from a warm sea, so you can take it easy. For me the annual trips to Greece/Cyprus have been a spearo's dream come true after months of spearfishing in murky cold rivers. So I do go for the great viz, but I also go for the fish when I go to the sea. So I cannot afford planning a trip unless there is a strong probability there is gonna be fish and decent viz.
2 Pastor - Thank you!

Reactions: spaghetti
Hi hyeparis,

I've just seen this now...hope that trip in May to Portugal would come forward, just let me know and for sure we can arrange some spearing sessions.

To be honest mid March isn't the best time to come to Portugal, you can get unlucky and there's a strong chance of getting bad sea (check out Windguru), for an example since Christmas we had 4 or 5 good day's in the west coast, In Algarve (south coast) its a different story...the water is quiter and warmer.

Why dont you try Madeira Island??

Cheers,
Marco

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT