• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Where to tie float line?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jan 19, 2016
Where in your opinion is the best place to fix my float line. I usually fit it to my spearfishing gun snap hook, but I was thinking, I never shoot large fish that would run with my harpoon....

So wouldn't it be better to fix it to my weight belt? I have seen some people do this. It would also give me the advantage of being able to drop my weight belt should I need some help coming up from a long dive & easily retrieve it afterwards....

Also where is the place for it that it is least prone to become entangled (safest)?

Reactions: Mr. X
if its a low boat trafic area just attach it were u feel its not bothering u or wont get tangled, hence on ur speargun! plus always carry a knife!! but if its a boat traffic area hence ur having a float !! and not for the fish, i dont recomend having it anywhere on u or the speargun, me myself was so close to an accident wete a boat was about to cross between me and my float line and it would have wounded me if i didnt scream and stop the idiot !! some times u just gotta keep ur eyes outside the water. imagine it dragging my speargun from my hand ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is so easy to drop a spear gun or polespear and if for any reason you suddenly need both hands for something you can quickly drop your gun or spear and know that your not going to loose it ;) Although lead costs..... a lot! :D I see my belt as a disposable item, psychologically the way you look at your weight belt could delay a decision by a second or two and in the water that second or two could see you live or die!! ;) Not just when diving but if you have underestimated the conditions or they just get worse you may need that extra buoyancy to stay above the waves. Another reason to have the line on your gun or spear is that if you spear a fish and it holes up or even if the spear just gets stuck, you will not have to stay down longer than comfortable, you can just surface and dive again, more than a few divers have got into trouble in situations just like that, don't be one of them;) Good luck and dive safe.

Thanks for advice guys. Reason I ask is that I want to dive in the safest manner.

Yes spear has got stuck on more than a few occasions and I have had to take a breather or two before I retrieve it. But I mean its not going anywhere stuck like that.

There are boats running around in the areas I dive but at least they always keep an appreciable distance from my float. My line is only 12m long for now.

I have always speared with my float attached to my speargun/railgun. I recommend starting with that* - it is simple & safe & you won't loose your speargun. But I think some folk, esp. who spear with a partner, start with it attached to their belt. There are advantages & disadvantages to both approaches. For example, attached to your belt you would be easier to find if something went wrong & your belt would be easier to find & retrieve if you had to drop it (or accidentally drop it). Also dropping your belt would free you of both weights & float-line, provide you weren't tangled in it.

*I started mainly SA Rob Allen gear & that's what was suggested to me when I started by an experienced SA spearo. It works pretty well and I'd hate to loose my speargun, so I have stuck with it. This year though, I have it in mind to try some different approaches and have ordered a few new items to allow me to do that. I will likely take it carefully and try only one new thing at a time.
e.g.
1. Float-line attached to reef-hook attached to speargun
I think this might be a simple but useful addition to my current simple rig.
http://www.spearfishing.co.uk/shop/spearfishing-accessories/spearfishing-reef-hook/
reef-hook.jpg

2. Float-line attached to ring on my weight-belt + drop weight
This would be a more radical change for me. I am hoping to use a 500g clip-weight for that, so that I can drop the weight & float line as a marker for me to dive around. Several times that would have likely helped me relocate hot spots - but the tide/current is often strong enough to ensure a dropped weight would likely not stay put unless perhaps dropper in thick weed and even then.... Perhaps better saved for one of those sheltered locations on a quiet day?

e.g. http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/omer-belt-d-ring/5587/p
omer-belt-d-ring.jpg

http://aws.tradeinn.com/d/59/594562/spetton-inox-carabiner-quick-release-lead-500.jpg
spetton-inox-carabiner-quick-release-lead-500.jpg

3. Float-line attached to ring on my weight-belt + speargun
This one bothers me most, as some care will be required to avoid increased tangle/snag hazards. Would likely use Orca clips and/or regular old climbing carabiners (non-screwgate of course) or clip-weight or perhaps just a simple quick release knot on the belt or perhaps reef-hook? TBD

http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/picasso-orca-clip/603063/p
picasso-orca-clip.jpg

I think trying any & all of the above changes will warrant additional care, any significant change to your rig does.

Reactions: Pinniped72
I have always speared with my float attached to my speargun/railgun. I recommend starting with that* - it is simple & safe & you won't loose your speargun. But I think some folk, esp. who spear with a partner, start with it attached to their belt. There are advantages & disadvantages to both approaches. For example, attached to your belt you would be easier to find if something went wrong & your belt would be easier to find & retrieve if you had to drop it (or accidentally drop it). Also dropping your belt would free you of both weights & float-line, provide you weren't tangled in it.

*I started mainly SA Rob Allen gear & that's what was suggested to me when I started by an experienced SA spearo. It works pretty well and I'd hate to loose my speargun, so I have stuck with it. This year though, I have it in mind to try some different approaches and have ordered a few new items to allow me to do that. I will likely take it carefully and try only one new thing at a time.
e.g.
1. Float-line attached to reef-hook attached to speargun
I think this might be a simple but useful addition to my current simple rig.
http://www.spearfishing.co.uk/shop/spearfishing-accessories/spearfishing-reef-hook/
reef-hook.jpg

2. Float-line attached to ring on my weight-belt + drop weight
This would be a more radical change for me. I am hoping to use a 500g clip-weight for that, so that I can drop the weight & float line as a marker for me to dive around. Several times that would have likely helped me relocate hot spots - but the tide/current is often strong enough to ensure a dropped weight would likely not stay put unless perhaps dropper in thick weed and even then.... Perhaps better saved for one of those sheltered locations on a quiet day?

e.g. http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/omer-belt-d-ring/5587/p
omer-belt-d-ring.jpg

http://aws.tradeinn.com/d/59/594562/spetton-inox-carabiner-quick-release-lead-500.jpg
spetton-inox-carabiner-quick-release-lead-500.jpg

3. Float-line attached to ring on my weight-belt + speargun
This one bothers me most, as some care will be required to avoid increased tangle/snag hazards. Would likely use Orca clips and/or regular old climbing carabiners (non-screwgate of course) or clip-weight or perhaps just a simple quick release knot on the belt or perhaps reef-hook? TBD

http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/picasso-orca-clip/603063/p
picasso-orca-clip.jpg

I think trying any & all of the above changes will warrant additional care, any significant change to your rig does.

Yes I think you are very correct and both options have their drawbacks...

My fear is to get tangled in the line. I have just bought an 8mm Seac Sub pvc float line which really floats to the surface readily, under all conditions, and is very difficult to get tangled. I have it fixed via a quick release orca clip on my gun just as you showed.

However I have just bought a 1kg detachable weight. It relelases from the belt by pulling on a small retainer eye on top. I have now just fit an orca clip to that one too. I think what I will do is to get to the dive spot, undo my gun from the float line, attach it into the detachable weight, release the weight and let it sit at the bottom. That way I will mark my dive spot and release myself from the line. I think its the most elegant option :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT