• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Which gun?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Nick Mc

Aug 13, 2009
Hi All
I want to treat myself to a new gun around the £100-£130 mark.
Most of the time I will be on the UK south coast looking for Bass and I prefer longer shots in deeper water. Currently use a couple of old omer Excaliburs 100 and 110 I think. They are ok but I wonder if I am missing the odd hit because of barrel/spear flex.
Probably want 90-100 long and was looking at the following possibilities:
Mares phantom - I like the shape but is the plastic body stiff enough for 2 bands?
Mares instinct carbon 100 - looks good but thought I might want a rail gun this time (any benefit?)
Seac twin/combat thunder 95 - has rail and looks OK.
or anything else in that price range that I should be looking at?
Cheers
Nick

You should look at the Rob Allen guns. Stable, accurate, and tough.

Agreed with above, either Rob Allen or Picasso guns mate. They both have an online shop , picasso are based in weymouth. They both offer a good range of guns including rail guns and carbon guns for you to choose from. Very popular among the Dorset lads who dive a lot in all depths of water.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you get

Hi and thanks for the suggestions.
My problem with Picasso is that I had a 120 some years ago and could never hit a thing with it. With 2 bands,both the barrel and the spear used to flex and wobble all over the place.
Would love a rob Allen but out of my price range at the moment.

Cheers

Nick

I've changed all my rob Allen guns to use a Picasso 19mm boom and 6.5mm stainless spear. And they are all unbelievably accurate now. The new Picasso carbon guns have a thicker/new carbon barrel. From what I've heard (as not tried out my Picasso 115 yet) they have next to no flex. Low recoil and very accurate. Have a look on their site at the new range of guns. If your near weymouth your more than welcome to have a look or try of my gun if you want?

I've changed all my rob Allen guns to use a Picasso 19mm boom and 6.5mm stainless spear. And they are all unbelievably accurate now. The new Picasso carbon guns have a thicker/new carbon barrel. From what I've heard (as not tried out my Picasso 115 yet) they have next to no flex. Low recoil and very accurate. Have a look on their site at the new range of guns. If your near weymouth your more than welcome to have a look or try of my gun if you want?

Thanks, I will take a look at the Picassos, the last one I had was bought in Portugal when I was there with the LIC about 13? Years ago so no doubt things have changed. Also, I am desperate to find someone to dive with between 17 and 23 May so if you have a free day and want to buddy up that would be great, maybe try warbarrow if the wind is right?
Nick

Please....PLEASE do not get a Mares Phantom, a 100cm model will have less than 2m range, it really is not a great gun. Although its Cuttle shape is quite tempting there are other guns of similar shape that are 300x better! Rob allen gun would be a good investment! Or an Omer Roller! :D :D And if you want to chip out a bit more go for an Andre Euro which you can see here Our Products « Andre Speargun ....their Iron Wood Model is a lot cheaper and pretty good for a gun of its price range. If in doubt contact Andre, I am currently talking to him about Knocking me up a Euro 160Mid Handle with Carbon Enclosed track and the price is looking good! He ships EVERYWHERE :D :D :D

Pathos and Cressi make quite good guns at relatively cheap prices. I am thinking of getting an Andre in 120cm, either the Gold series or the OZ. Any feedback??

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT