• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Which size of speargun?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

orssonlack

Mar 26, 2015
Hi all,

I'm new here and to spearfishing as well, actually to the extent that I haven't bought my equipment yet.
BUT, finally(!!) I think I'm done with deciding what gear to get, except from one small detail: What size of speargun I should get...

After looking around the forum/internet I decided on getting a Cressi Comanche. It seems like a good choice, or what do you guys think?

Now, since I'm a newbie to both spearfishing and freediving I will be cruising the shallower waters and I have been told that it's a good choice for a beginner to start of with a smaller gun rather then 100 cm or bigger.

So which model do you guys think would be to prefer, the 75 cm or 90 cm?

If you need any further information from me, please do ask :)

Thanks in advance!!

Length should be chosen based on conditions (hence Foxfish's question), primarily on visibility. If the water is clear, you'll likely need a longer gun. If the water is murky then shorter. In general it is easier to load shorter guns. In the UK, 75-90cm barrel length for a band-powered euro-gun/railgun is the normal recommendation.

I would suggest for Cornwall 90cm (75-110), Devon 80/85cm (70-100cm), Dorset 70/75cm (60cm-90cm), Hampshire/Sussex/Kent 70/75cm (55-90cm) for your first speargun. But it's not that critical +/-5cm to the above would normally make little difference and anything in the range 75-90cm would be considered pretty normal anywhere in the UK. I started with a 90cm speargun but now I normally use a short gun: a small, light 75cm - because I encounter poor visibility far more than good viz. However I did switch to my 90cm speargun in Cornwall last summer, it just suited the conditions better (although I have found my 75cm gun good in Cornwall in poorer vis. in the past). For really clear conditions (rare for me) 90cm might be too short - so 100cm-120cm might sometimes be appropriate.

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
Hi, where do you live?

I live in Malta.

Length should be chosen based on conditions (hence Foxfish's question), primarily on visibility. If the water is clear, you'll likely need a longer gun. If the water is murky then shorter. In general it is easier to load shorter guns. In the UK, 75-90cm barrel length for a band-powered euro-gun/railgun is the normal recommendation.

I would suggest for Cornwall 90cm (75-110), Devon 80/85cm (70-100cm), Dorset 70/75cm (68cm-90cm), Hampshire/Sussex/Kent 70/75cm (68-90cm) for your first speargun. But it's not that critical +/-5cm to the above would normally make little difference and anything in the range 75-90cm would be considered pretty normal anywhere in the UK. I started with a 90cm speargun but now I normally use a short gun: a small, light 75cm - because I encounter poor visibility far more than good viz. However I did switch to my 90cm speargun in Cornwall last summer, it just suited the conditions better (although I have found my 75cm gun good in Cornwall in poorer vis. in the past). For really clear conditions (rare for me) 90cm might be too short - so 100cm-120cm might sometimes be appropriate.

At first I thought I should start with a longer one (100 - 120cm) , but all diveshop workers recommend me to start with a shorter one, especially since I will do my hunting in shallow waters and since I have no previous experience. A good introduction to spearfishing in short. Or doesn't the shallow water conditions mean anything when choosing the size of spearguns?

What would your recommendations for a soon to be beginner be?

Thank you for your answers! :)

I live in Malta.

At first I thought I should start with a longer one (100 - 120cm) , but all diveshop workers recommend me to start with a shorter one, especially since I will do my hunting in shallow waters and since I have no previous experience. A good introduction to spearfishing in short. Or doesn't the shallow water conditions mean anything when choosing the size of spearguns?

What would your recommendations for a soon to be beginner be?

Thank you for your answers! :)

Hi Orssonlack,
You are getting the right advice here so I thought that I would give you my perspective. I have been diving about 55 years as a commercial and sport diver after I left the Navy (yes.... I am an old dog). My experience is largely based on Florida, the Carribean, Central America and the West Coast of America. ... Generally clear water. I know the water at Bugibba Island and the Blue Lagoon/Comino was quite clear when We dive there. At any rate, here are a few beginner suggestions:
- the size of your gun should be targeted at the size of the fish that you will be hunting. If you don't know what species you are likely to shoot at, ask the local divers or talk to the guys in local dive shops. They can also fill you in on the correct licenses and regulations. Ask which guns the experienced guys use.
- Visabilaty is important as with better Vis' ... you can see prey farther away and take longer shots... ergo, a longer gun. However a shorter first' gun works well in shallow wster, ledge and wall diving. If you start out with a shorter gun, you will find a permanent place for it in your arsenal for the years ahead.. they are versatile.
- If you can hook up with someone who dives the area you want to try, an experienced buddy can save you much time and effort. There are many considerations as to power, range and quite importantly, the spear-tip design. A detachable head' for example would allow you
to shoot larger fish and not have the barb rip out.
- Spearfishing was been my first love for a half century... there is nothing like it but there are basic safety rules that have to be followed, and techniques that will make your dive more enjoyable and productive.
- There is no substitute for experience, especially local. If you don't have it, gain it with a dive buddy who does, or pay a competent professional to coach you. Money well spent.

I wish you a lifetime of pleasure and safety!
Regards, Seadog47

Reactions: foxfish
Hey, Im beginner to and I bought a 80cm speargun, it is really easy to load, especially because I have long arms. My brother bought a 90cm, and I think thats the all around size. But i have to say, a longer weapon would be better I guess, they have more accuracy. Anyway, i always wonder how a tiny gun, like 60cm would work with strong bands and/or dual!

Thanks all! The gun has been ordered so I'm just waiting for it to arrive so I can get started. I ended up geting the salvimar voodoo open railgun 95, so finally I can just focus on evolving my skills. The decision part was kinda pain in the ass :p

Trying to find a thread about how to take care of the fish after catching it, anyone that can point me out in the right direction.

Or answer here if you like...

What I was wondering was, how long is it ok to keep the fish in the water (warm waters of Malta)?

Do you bleed it out/gut it in the water?

Hey, Im beginner to and I bought a 80cm speargun, it is really easy to load, especially because I have long arms. My brother bought a 90cm, and I think thats the all around size. But i have to say, a longer weapon would be better I guess, they have more accuracy. Anyway, i always wonder how a tiny gun, like 60cm would work with strong bands and/or dual!

I have a 60cm Cressi Apache, which is a basic model and I have a bulk rubber 18mm circular band on it and it is fine. When I started spearfishing I didn't do the research properly and bought an Omer Cayman 110cm, a great gun but way too long for the conditions I find myself near;) Its either 60cm or pole spear for me.

Edited to say that I have considered a mares sten or similar air powered speargun which would be ideal for the restricted viz near me but I have lingering concerns over the moving parts, piston etc, I just don't know how reliable they are.

Last edited:
I have owed a Mares 100cm for around 30 years and it still works fine!
I striped it down a few years back but apart from that one major service the gun has been super reliable!

I have owed a Mares 100cm for around 30 years and it still works fine!
I striped it down a few years back but apart from that one major service the gun has been super reliable!

Now that's reliable! :) I have been mulling over the idea of getting a Mares for a while, I think I will have to jump ship and make the purchase, many thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

I have a 60cm Cressi Apache, which is a basic model and I have a bulk rubber 18mm circular band on it and it is fine. When I started spearfishing I didn't do the research properly and bought an Omer Cayman 110cm, a great gun but way too long for the conditions I find myself near;) Its either 60cm or pole spear for me.

Edited to say that I have considered a mares sten or similar air powered speargun which would be ideal for the restricted viz near me but I have lingering concerns over the moving parts, piston etc, I just don't know how reliable they are.

Exactly! Where I live I dont think that the maintance can be very reliable! Rubbers seems better anyway. My gun was very cheap Im thinking in cutting the barrel to make it short hahah the conditions here are similiar to yours... Bad vis with shallow rocks and caves feels like even 80 is way too big.

One of the reasons I was sceptical about pneumatics was my experience with air guns! I had a webley Xocet which is a springer, nice and simple and then got a pcp which was great.................... when it wasn't leaking. It turns out the type I got was prone to leaking the compressed air so I replaced the O rings which was not an overly simple task and it leaked less. A great gun but temperamental, but with the longevity of the pneumatic spearguns being proven over decades of use I have decided to bite the bullet and give them a go:D It might be a marriage made in heaven or a short term relationship with lots of shouting but hey, you only live one:D

Search for dry barrel conversions, dry barrel air guns turn a standard pneumatic into something else!

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT