• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Which spearfishing boat??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

tonyeynon

Jun 12, 2008
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get an inflatable boat / RIB for spearfishing and beach hopping but after not growing up around boats I find myself totally clueless lol

I'm looking to spend about £1.5K ish on a second hander with an outboard and was hoping someone could possibly give me a few pointers or makes to look out for. I'll probably get it of ebay as there seem to be plenty on their in price range.

Things that are important to me would be packability. I can leave it on a drive when in cornwall (using it), but when at home in Notts it would need to be deflated and put in the garage. I have a van to pop it in.

Engine size: clueless as to what I would need?? I assume the bigger the better, but am not sure on what I would need as a minimum.

Would be cool if it could handle itself okay in a bit of choppy weather and pull a rubber ring or something for play around with but as I say I don't know what to expect lol.

Any help gratefully appreciated

I have an Achilles 14.9 with a Honda 25 hp four stroke. My favorite boat I've ever had. $500.00 USD for the boat at a yard sale and about $3000 UDS for the engine new. Not too good when there's wind chop but take swells like a champion. Mine is an inflatable keel (non RIB). Which I like because I can deflate and throw it in the back of my truck for longer trips. Also light enough to put on larger boats and go farther out into the ocean.

Hi Tony a RIB might not be suitable as they have a ridged bottom half (hence the name - rigid bottom, inflatable top).
So if you want something that completely collapses then that will narrow it down a bit!
A small inflatable will always be a compromise though as you cant expect to much from them in rough weather & of course they are prone to punctures..
I think Scott uses something like you are looking for?
If it were me, I would look into the one exception I can think of, although still a compromise, would be a thunder cat with a 30hp motor - certainly take the rough weather & pull along toys but also a fantastic "get you there quick" dive boat.

TTIWWOP...:t

Weeee....

Cheers, Don Paul

Attachments

• 775964851_VoXqK-M-1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 266
Can't give specific advice, but here are some generalities.

1. An inflatable keel is real nice if the boat intends to plane and isn't an rib.
2. Well worn hi quality is better than shiny crap, and most brands are crap. Do some research.
3. keep the engine size under 15 hp unless you are a very large gorilla, or take one with you at all times.
4. the ability to plane adds hugely to the range and usability of the boat

good luck with it

Connor

You could look at an air-hull rib which uses an inflatable hull bottom - they are pretty good and the botttom is remarkably solid for what it is. certainly a better option than a RHIB for what you want.

Otherwise why not look at keeping a boat on the coast? would it be very expensive to keep a small boat in a yard somewhere? i think Shiny might have a 2h spearo boat for sale?

Otherwise what about a sit on kayak? perfect solution! and possibly the most seaworthy option.

I looked into getting an inflatable last year,i actually deliver the honda range (honwave) and spoke to dealers and it can be more involved than i first thought,the engine needs to be matched to size of boat,power and shaft length,etc ,if you are going to use it alone engines can be quite heavy as most are now 4 stroke, to tow a skier you will probably need 25 hp upwards and a 12 foot plus boat which will not fold up that small, also in many areas you are not allowed to tow a skier or toy behind you unless there is a spotter as well as driver of the boat,proof of certificates /insurance may be required etc ,also a trailer will be required unless very small boat and this may limit your choice of launch venues,and the cost of launching and parking a car and trailer at harbour/slip can be a bit of a rip off!! considering all this i got a sit on top kayak (tarpon 120)and find it to be ideal for my purposes!! good luck and watch out for kayaks, as i am around cornwall quite alot in summer!!

I bought my last boat from the Shiny1. Its a 3.4m Avon Rover Inflatable with an inflatable keel, matched to a 15hp outboard. Tough as nails and very well made. Its not the lightest boat, but I can lift and move it by myself fully inflated. The boat is made of hypalon, which is superior to PVC, and can be patched easily. It will get on the plane with three spearo's onboard, but is better with two + kit.

It can be rolled up and put in the boot of my astra along with the motor and fuel. Normally, I just lash it to the roof, then when I get to the slipway, I untie the straps, drive down the slip, do an emergency stop, and the boat shoots off the roof into the water.

Trelawny: couldn't agree more with your opinion and rig. I had something very similar, only not nearly the quality of yours. Mine worked fabulous for us, but the lack of quality bit me after a while.

We call that launch style the "Cuban" launch, no offense meant to my latin friends. Watch enough boat ramps and you will see some that result in broken off outdrives when the boat launches onto concrete or, if its low tide and a slick ramp, the car doesn't stop until the driver is waist deep. . . . . Its ok, I do it too.

Connor

Hi Conner.
I was only joking about the launch method. Honestly, the boat gets lifted off and wheeled to the water using transom wheels. But now, since its a recognised way to do it, you've given me ideas.....

Thanks everyone this is all really helpful indeed. I'm going to forget about the skiing aspect as it just ups the spec for something that I bet gets done once then forgotten.

Well I've been my research and whittled down to about 3 different types of good quality inflatable boats (SIB's they call em lol) with a 15hp outboard. Basically exactly the same set up as Trelawney has. Looks like I can get this for between 1.5 -2.5K second hand so Im well chuffed and incredibly excited lol.

Has anyone had any issues with them for spearfishing, I mean sharp things and rubber = asking for trouble right lol

Also Trelawney, what type of floor do you have, is it just inflatable or do you have the alloy panels that you put in? Im thinking of just going with the inflatable so its less messing around etc

Thanks again all

Of course inflatables have potential issues with sharp pointing things!
However if you want something to pack up into a small package then you dont have any choice!!
If you could store the boat outside or had room in your garage then you would have huge scope to choose from......

I've got a marine plywood floor in my boat. It breaks down into four sections for transport. Its strong and robust. As long as you're careful, you shouldn't have any issues with puctures. Just remember to put the gun in the boat handle first. If you use a stringer, that goes in the boat next so you don't stick it through the tube when you clamber over the side. Put a cork on the speartip, the stringer and fish in the fishbox. I'm not sure about an inflatable floor for a spearfishing boat as there are lots of sharp pointy things to puncture it, even bass spines will do it.

I speared out of mine almost every day for two years and never had a problem with spear punctures. Fish spines are something else. You will need a fish box. At least spine punctures are easy to patch.

Connor

This was my first offshore dive boat (Zodiac 11.6 sport). I used to take it solo out to Catalina Island for the weekend (24miles) in 1982 with a 18 horse Suzuki and wrist compass. I used outdoor carpet to help protect against spines and teeth. Sorry for the poor quality snap shots, the are from a friends photos.

Cheers, Don Paul

Attachments

• Zodiac offshore YT.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 270
  • san fran YT.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Have a look at the Bombard Aerotech 380,

i use one with a 15hp outboard for spearing, have had it for 10yrs and it is ideal!

I love your old pics Don, sounds a bit risky though !

Thanks Mart, yes I was used to going deep into the forest alone to hunt when I was a kid and never grew up. I don't take the same risks today now that I'm a dad. I have one more image I'll post of my old Grand Raid and a nice flattie....
That boat had a bigger motor and a radio powered by a motor bike battery.
Cheers, Don

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…