• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

which speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

t.morgan

Mar 2, 2008
hi guys, i'm wanting to buy a speargun was wondering which one. i want a decent one with good range.

everyone says get a short one first but i want decent range??

i had a look at c4 but there a bit pricey...

help please.

Hi Tommy! you need to buy a mamba airgun straight from the start.
Some people will tell you they are for the more experienced spearo but I say start at the top.
Mambas are factory modified air guns that use "O" rings to stop the water entering the barrel as it would in a normal air gun.
The result is staggering, much increased power "POWER" & much reduced recoil. In short a very lightweight compact gun (90cms total length) with the power of a two band rubber powered gun of a much longer length!
Join the dark side & feel the POOWWERR

Don't worry about range, most of the fish you will shoot will be very close. My friend tecdave spears down your way and uses a 90 with great success but anything between a 75 and a 90 will be fine. Check out Apnea Online Store and Spearguns by Spearo uk ltd finest supplier of speargun, monofins, speargun and freediving equipment for guns easily available in the UK. See what you fancy and come back to us for advice

Resist the dark side, you can't play a Mamba like a banjo on the bottom when there's no fish about rofl

I too would go with a band gun to start, I fished with a 75cm for a number of years and only a handfull of times was it to short. I now use a 90cm and find it ideal for our not so great viz! I use it with a reel so have added a second wrap a few times when the viz allows and the fish are a bit skitish.

Wicked!!!!
Even managed a freedive with a Whale shark!!! we were motoring around looking for dolphins when we came across a huge boil (bait ball) of tuna, which in honduras means whale shark time!! we waited for the nod from the skipper and as I got in the water was greated by this monster of a fish!!! it was bloody huge! it just rose from bellow me and took off with slow tail strokes that meant I had to kick and overarm hard just to keep up! what a sight!

there is no spearing in honduras but even if there was there is not much about, the tuna were all jumbo mackeral size and the reef fish were very few. but hell it was warm and clear!!!

back at work today is really no fun................. but I have recived a package with my new effersub camo suit in it, so I know what I am doing in the bath tonight!!!!!

Welcome back TD! How was the bath? Glad to see you brought the wind with you, was it the food?

Had a similar experience in the Isle of Man a few years ago with a basking shark apparently 9m long, anyway so big you couldn't see the whole thing. They might eat plankton but they still make your arse twitch!

Reactions: foxfish
welcome back TD sounds like you had a good time mate! back to topic my 2cents i have two gabbianos from spearo dave! first one i bought was 100cm which was a bitch to handle to start with so i bought a 77cm which is the gun i use 95% of the time! im in the market for a 90cm would like a mr carbon but dont have the funds at the min or im toying with the ideal of making one! i was you and havent use a gun before go for the short gun first

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT