• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Which Trigger Mechanism is Best?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Felssh

Oct 17, 2009
many threads compare two or three mechanisms, but I want more. My goal with this thread is to help and make an inclusive list of speargun mechanisms on the market, and qualify each for ease of use, optimal gun type (reef vs blue vs euro...), quality (or expected life), cost, pull, and the quality of each companies customer service (for repairs etc). I am preparing to build three guns for the three hunters in my family, and I can't decide which trigger is truly the best choice. For me, the guns will be 40" long wooden enclosed track teak guns with two 9/16th bands each, so I am leaning toward a lighter duty trigger. With my very restricted knowledge I am leaning toward the neptonics reef trigger, but Please, if you think that there is a better trigger for my gun, let me know. I am fairly new to the world of spear guns, so please add the inumerable models and any other important characteristics of these triggers which I missed.

Producers:
Riffe
Neptonics
Kitto and Klefstad (IC spearguns)
Alexander
JBL
Beuchat
Picasso

You're American, aren't you? Then buy American!
In Europe we have plenty of triggers which are purposedly designed for a relatively light load, but why should you pay a fortune for cross-ocean shipping when you have such a good product as Neptonics right there in the US?
Two 9/16 bands pull just about 120 kilograms or so (maybe less), you don't need anything particularily strong.

IMO The Alexander trigger is the best out there. it was easy to install and can hold a ton of band pressure. your shaft will break before this mech. however if your building a thinner gun it might not be the best choice as it is pretty tall.
i used it on a big three banded gun reef gun and it worked extremely well.

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt154/willloomy/IMG_5099.jpg
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt154/willloomy/IMG_6145.jpg

IMG_5099.jpg

IMG_6145.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One issue I have with the Alexander trigger is they are heavy, so I am fishing with my cayman then I switch to my wodden gun with the Alexander trigger I notice the difference.

You should also add to your list

yokooji
wong

But since you've mention picasso, I really like the new cayman trigger, i just wish the line release was angle back instead of 90 degrees.

Reactions: Mr. X
yokooji uses alexander triggers and wong used alexander but now uses amrite.

I'd use the neptonics reef mechanisms for those specs, great trigger for the $, and now with a safety device if you want one.
To be honest you could probably get away with a Sea Hornet mech for those guns, but for the few extra $ the reef mech is way superior IMHO, and will take cosiderably more power than that if you want to change the mech out into a bigger gun down the track..
The Alexander is a great unit, as is the Neptonics Tuna, but both would be overkill on those specs.

Last edited:
Aloha All,

Just to clarify things, Daryl Wong is no longer associated with Aimrite Hawaii. Aimrite Hawaii was dissolved and my ex partner Rick Bettua started up Aimrite spearfishing.
All the original hardware and accessories that were developed for my spearguns are now wholly owned by me. It is now Wong mechanisms, hardware and slip tips.
Warranties on any of the parts in any of my guns previous to the dissolution of Aimrite will still be warranted by me.
I have no association with any aimrite spearguns and no input with them. I wish the best for my partner and look forward to being on the cutting edge of spearguns. I have many new products coming out soon that will be of interest to many spearos.
Check out the website for accessories if you need anything.

Aloha Daryl
wongspearguns.com

"Main Battle Tank" mechanism would have to be Kitto's M3 and M5 mechanisms, they were designed for maximum band loads and have thick sear boxes for gun ballasting. Cannon duty only, they are not for small gun use as they need a lot of wood around them.

Reactions: Don Paul
For 2 or 3 banded guns, one of the things that I like about the Neptonics Reef is the versatility. You can get it in a standard square notch sear, or with a Euro notch sear. It is also available with a bottom tab to automatically reset the line release lever, and can easily be outfitted with a safety that Neptonics sells separately. All in the same basic housing.

For larger guns, Neptonics also has a newer version of their heavier duty "tuna" trigger that is rounded at both ends for a slightly easier install.

Reactions: acevedo joseph
Popgun and Tin are right on kittos is tank proof and Josh's is quite versatile I'd probably go with Neptonics, that said have you considered a euro like beuchat marlin? easy to instal will support upward of 2 bands and has the handle all in one.

here are some pics of the new neptonics tuna mech, as you can see both ends are round and gone is the depression that use to prevent the shaft from rotating so the top is completely flat and clean looking.

the alexander mech is also very good and is an excellent choice for anything from a reef gun to a tuna version.

the kitto is a great mech but it's way too tall for anything other than a big tuna gun.

steve

Attachments

• P1100010.jpg
    P1100010.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 567
  • P1100011.jpg
    P1100011.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 592
  • P1100012.jpg
    P1100012.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 606
Reactions: spaghetti
here are some pics of the new neptonics tuna mech, as you can see both ends are round and gone is the depression that use to prevent the shaft from rotating so the top is completely flat and clean looking.

the alexander mech is also very good and is an excellent choice for anything from a reef gun to a tuna version.

the kitto is a great mech but it's way too tall for anything other than a big tuna gun.

steve

My first thought is that the round ends will do good for very elegant designs on a woody.
I cant' remember having seen trigger units with a shape like that on European spearguns. And that Neptonics round ends does really looks elegant.

i have been impressed by a trigger mechanism i got from ihab at nile divers for a gun i have build for myself. its been a long time since i shot a gun with such a smooth trigger action.
just thought i would put that i the mix
cheers loxy

Ermessub also has some excellent triggers and I highly recommend them. They are very light and I just love the Back reverse mech which has a super smooth trigger pull and very short trigger travel. It is also extremely light. You can also install a top version of the same trigger mech (Evo Back) which allows top installation. They are perfect for any gun at 3 bands or less (even though is rated much higher). Ermes also has the Polynesia trigger which has a longer lever for its reverse mech and a "star" auto reset.

trigger mechanisms, meccanismi di sgancio - ermes-sub

Niletec also has some nice triggers with super nice crisp trigger pull. I am not sure if their reverse trigger is rated more than 2 x bands but at 1 and 2 bands it is super smooth.

For big guns you can't go wrong with a Neptonics tuna trigger. That thing is built like a tank but still has a nice crisp trigger pull. But it is also super heavy and you need a lot of wood to keep ballasting possible. I also like the reef mech which has an excellent trigger pull, but is not a reverse mech and thus to act like a reverse mech you need a pushrod kit. Neptonics also has a reverse mech, but to be honest I prefer the Reef and Tuna triggers from the Neptonics line. There is a new "wide" Reef Euro from Neptonics, which allows line to be attached at the back of the shaft (I try to avoid that).

Reactions: portinfer
So do I but running a small business via Facebook means you can't contact/interact with them if you are not a member... shame!

Definitely like the Nile-Tec/Neptonic mechs but shipping from the States is irritating... they cost as much to buy as they do to ship...

P.S. A couple of pages of trigger mechs at Diveshop.gr (Greece)

Personal favourite (used/recommended by lawstraljan16) is the Meandros S-Short... its small with 1 top screw (tab) which can be cut off/down to 62/63cm if necessary... there's also 2 anchor points/pins through the body...
20140603_143739.png

But also like the look of the Benthos...

1889.jpg

and the Bleutec Raptor...
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Best mechanism are definitely the ERMES,
they are super light, strong stainless steel, the trigger travel is short, I use it with 2 or 3 band it is super smooth, recommend the Evo roll, and the installation is easy.

Reactions: SubSub
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT