• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Whistle Placement

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Amphibious

Working Class Spearo
Mar 17, 2002
anyone else dive with a whistle? pretty handy for attracting attention/help.

Attachments

• Whistle 001.jpg
    Whistle 001.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 158
  • Whistle 004.jpg
    Whistle 004.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 153
I dive with a whistle know that you gave me one. Gave it a blow yesterday worked great.
Are you so bored that you got suited up to take a picture of your whistle on your watch in full dive gear?

do you guys not have boaters in your area? or the need to signal a buddy if you get in trouble?

OK see your point.:eek:
Personally I dive in secluded bays with no boat traffic & besides my comment was made in jest:) (English sense of humor)

Amphibious said:
do you guys not have boaters in your area? or the need to signal a buddy if you get in trouble?
Usually go to quiet areas. Even so, yes - quite often see a boat, dinghy or kayak. I normally take a float with a decent size alpha flag on it -- seems to work quite well. For quiet craft, I generally talk to folk if they approach - for motor boats, I just hope they see the flag & stay away (doubt if they'd hear a whistle).

A whistle is normally used as a distress signal here. To carry one on your float with a compass is probably not a bad idea. I guess carrying it on your person if, like me, you are not attached to the float makes most sense (in case, heaven forbid, you get separated from your float).

BTW do you attach your float to yourself (weight belt), an anchor/clip, or your gun? I do the latter - per the Len Jones booklet. The advantage is that you have nothing attached to you that might tangle & your gun is secured to your float (if you drop it or spear a big'n). The disadvantage is that you could loose your weight belt (unattached), you can't be hauled up by your float line (is that even possible?), you could potentially get separated from your float (although you hold the gun normally), the float line could drag on the gun while taking a shot.

I think a whistle could be a good idea, if your diving off a boat you could attract attention to yourself should you whish to be picked up and even on a shore dive instead of shouting and hoping someone hears you.
MrX I also use the gun to floatline configuration but apparently you get a clip that attaches to your wheight belt through which you thread the floatline before attaching it to your gun. This is only used in open water and at depths greater than 30m though, as I think it can be a bit of a hassle in kelp. At 30m open water when you feel too heavy to swim savely to the surface you drop gun and weight belt and haul it up whith the float line once youre in the boat. :)

Reactions: Mr. X
I have a whistle, but it is a small flat one, so it can be stuck up the sleeve of my suit - less drag.
It is similar to the emergency ones you can buy for lifejackets, mountaineering etc..

Amphibious - in your pics I see you use the type with a pea in it - does this still work OK when wet?

Boue

I also have one like Amphibious. The pea is made from cork and it works fine. I don't think that I will put it on my float though. If a big yellowtail swims off with your rig you might not be able to get to it. Normally the boat will be looking out for your float and you might need something to attract their attention if you loose it. I have a knife on my upper arm and I just tie the whistle to the sheath. I will have to remove the sheath to use it, but then again it is for emergencies only.

Last edited:
For scuba diving I had my whistle tied off to my wet-notes in my thigh pocket on my drysuit- also tucked my signal mirror in the back of the wet-notes to keep it all together. Thigh pockets worked great for all my extra stuff I carried: adjustable wrench, back-up tables, bail-out tables, back-up mask, finger-spool, signal tube, whistle, signal mirror.

For freediving I have my whistle in one of the little cargo pockets on my OMER America float- clipped off inside so I don't loose it. I don't like having things attached to my body so I keep as much on the float as I can- which is clipped off to the back of my weight belt or the butt of my gun so it's always near.:) I also, usually, have a water bottle, fish stringer, camera, energy Gel's, back-up mask, and an extra weight or two tied off as well.

Jon

Jon said:
. Thigh pockets worked great for all my extra stuff I carried: adjustable wrench, back-up tables, bail-out tables, back-up mask, finger-spool, signal tube, whistle, signal mirror.
Jon
So if the open-circuit scuba fails, you just build a rebreather from the parts? rofl rofl

I carry a whistle on my smb but to be honest I also carry a handheld VHF in an aquapack or a moblie phone when I am hunting far out. Whistles are not much use if no body can hear them. Good safety though.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT