• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Who do you think is the best spearfisher of all time?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Probably Pedro Carbonell...

Although Umberto Pelizzari's grouper speared at 60m would probably put him as the deepest spearfisherman.

Im going to have to stay local, and go with Tommy Botha simply cause he is a pioneer of spearing in South Africa and im not too familiar with any of the overseas spearo's of old.
Then obviously myself, spaghetti, Mr X, Pastor and DT, Not necessarily in that order.

We will need a shoot off to detrmine the rankings though lol. But be careful Ive been known to play dirty.

Reactions: Mr. X and spaghetti
:t:tooops i forgot to ad marwanrofl

Good save mate, the red card was already coming out of my pocketroflrofl, ok but we cannot forget the titan of tuna MILES!!!

I would go with Jose amengual (pedro carbonells uncle), the guy can still shoot 20KG gorupers at 40 meters and he is over 50 years old..

Reactions: Mr. X
I would go with Jose amengual (pedro carbonells uncle), the guy can still shoot 20KG gorupers at 40 meters and he is over 50 years old..

and he only has one good leg......

Globally I dont know, Carbonell is probably the greatest all rounder, Alberto March the best deep hunter, and Pepe Vina is incredible in shallow rough water. I am sure Spaghetti will be along in a moment to mention Renzo Mazzari:)
From the UK, it is no contest; Pete Crawford, 12 times British Champion, he won a very hard fought National competition 2 weeks ago, swimming for 6 hours against a strong tide at the age of 73:martial He also holds the record for the oldest ever diver in a World Championships (71!)

cheers
dave
Spearguns by Spearo uk ltd finest supplier of speargun, monofins, speargun and freediving equipment

I am sure Spaghetti will be along in a moment to mention Renzo Mazzari:)
In facts I say it loud: RENZO MAZZARRI!!!
He's one of the 3 men who have been capable to win 3 World Championships: they're Pepe Amengual, Renzo Mazzarri and, in more recent times, Pedro Carbonell.
The reasons why my preference goes to Mazzarri are the following:
1-Mazzarri is Italian :)
2-Mazzarri is Tuscan :t
3-Mazzarri won his 3 World Champs all in a row :martial
4-When Mazzarri won his third WC's at Maillorca, he defeated both Amengual and Carbonell in their home waters (they're both born and raised in Maillorca).:crutch
5-In 1995 Mazzarri was forced to retire because the Federation said he was no more physically fit and refused to grant him the health certificate to compete any more. A man in his sixties, he started again with competition in 2002 at the annual "Spearfishing Champions League" (sort of "open" tournament) and won 3 editions of it, including this current year's edition.:king
6-said once more: he is Italian and Tuscan ...
EDIT: Pete Crawford is great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
Go Renzo !!!

Since I am Brazilian I must mention the late Bruno Hermany, he was a very nice fellow, I remember visiting his store in Rio he was always very nice, but he only won two world titles. Died the same way Pavarotti did darn cancer.

This would be a good thread to get Ted Budion and get his pick.

Reactions: spaghetti
..and all this said, there are great spearos who never made competitions but, undoubtfully, they're great spearos: probably the best of them all is some Mr. Nobody making awesome hunting somewhere and nobody knows...
Think of Miles or Shaneshac, to name a few....

Reactions: Pastor
Women spearo?: Sheri Day.

Attachments

• logo_jpeg_en.jpg
    logo_jpeg_en.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 162
...Then obviously myself, spaghetti, Mr X, Pastor and DT, Not necessarily in that order....
:eek:roflThanks for that Covert, nobody ever accused me of that before!rofl But hell no, I'm just feeling around in the dark still. I have a lot of respect for most members of this forum and several have a tremendous amount of experience - clearly World-class. I won't name names (except Covert, of course), as I'd probably miss somebody off that really deserves to be mentioned.

How do you choose (most fish/biggest fish/deepest/longest/most daring/most wins/most points/most charismatic/greatest contribution to sport/...)? I would think you could have a stab at working out the best competition spearos from stats. or reputation -- but I would think there must be some great spearos that don't do competitions (Miles, Manny, Tommy,...?).

I am hugely impressed by Peter Crawford from the description above; still spearing (not to mention competing & winning) at 73. Incredible. I'm sure Italy has produced some amazing spearos & I trust Spaghetti to have picked some of the very best, RENZO MAZZARRI does sound like a very strong contender (not least because he is Tuscan, which I take to be the Italian equivalent of Yorkshire/Texas:D). As for the 1-legged spearo - one hardest guys I ever met lost his leg as a teenager, he was as strong as several normal men (had to build serious upper body strength to make up for the loss of leg) -- he was amazing, I see him more as superhuman than handicapped though.

Surprised nobody mentioned Terry Maas. Haven't read his book yet but it seems like everybody else has and raves about it. His piece on SWBO, also seems to be a definitive reference. The guy who shoots the big trophy fish with his Rabitechs -- Cameron Kirkconnell. Or what about some of the pioneers of spearing equipment - I would think several of them must be pretty amazing spearos?

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti
:eek:Thanks for that Covert --

I won't name names, as I might miss somebody off that really deserves to be mentioned.

shorrrry shhhir i washhh cleeerly havingsh a littles too much to beer, and forgetshhh yourr namessh there.

X you know your top dog around here buddy roflnext time ill refrain from mentioning names or ill ask stephan to send me the user list and ill just cut and paste :):friday

I'm sure Italy has produced some amazing spearos
...More in the past than in current times...
And however, not counting out most classy competitive spearos (Bardi, Mazzarri, Scarpati, Bellani, Delbene) there's one figure of non competitive spearo that really amazes me as "complete spearfisher", exceptionally skilled both in ocean blue water and in mediterranean shoals.
His name is Riccardo Andreoli.
He's the holder of a I.U.S.A blue water hunting world record (for the biggest Sailfish ever speared) but also a terrific mediterranean style hunter, from big amberjacks in the crystal clear waters of Sardinia to unbelievably huge bass in the super murky waters of the Venice Lagoon (half meter visibility).
This is Andreoli's website.
My Wonderful Blue Home Page

Based on Spaghetti I would definitly pick Renzo, about trophy fish the Bazilian Paulo Pacheco is amazing, if you watch the picasso video of him, it is very impressive the way he can single handed land huge fish.
Any one who shot big fish knows that things can get very tricky when managing big game in the water, Pacheco does it effortless. But I not put him on the same level as Renzo since he has neve won a world title, but Pacheco would be my pick for the Best Brazilian spearo.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT