• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Who do you think is the best spearfisher of all time?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
some of the french werent also mentioned like J.B Esclapez...still think that pepe amengual is the best or among th ebest at least..

Reactions: covert
Once you get outside of competition spearfishing, I think it becomes almost impossible to define "best" It is a bit like the saying about surfing; "The best surfer is the one having the most fun"
With modern gear, and the info that is now available, in a lot of cases, catching big pelagic trophy fish like tuna and marlin is as much about having the time, money, opportunity and balls to get near them as it is about skill. I believe that often catching small wary reef fish is more difficult and a greater test of skill (although it obviously doesn't look as impressive)
Personally I also think that the ability to adapt quickly to different conditions, species and locations is one of the skills that separates to Great from the simply Very Good!

cheers
dave
Spearguns by Spearo uk ltd finest supplier of speargun, monofins, speargun and freediving equipment

yep as long as your having fun, conserving the eco system, and loving what you do, who cares who's the best

Chile(where??)'s best, and former world champ: Erwin Tapia

ACTUAL (pride oozing) World Champ: [SIZE=-1]Patricio Sáez Larompiente.com: Noticia - Patricio Saez gana el Mundial de Pesca Submarina Pedro Carbonel came 5th in same event.

Womens World Champ:[/SIZE]Margarita Aldunate [SIZE=-1] Emol.com - Chile consigue título en Mundial Femenino de Caza Submarina

The remarkable thing is that these are all non-pro's with normal "day jobs" most of whom pay there own way to these comps.

(pride oozing, sorry)
[/SIZE]

Pato Saez is great. I'm told he does spearfishing for a living (he has a special license for selling fish) I heard great stories about him at the Sines worlds 2006: there was a terrible weather, 2 or 3 meters waves. They say he found a very tight hole full of fish in the strong surf: he let the waves pull him in and the undertow pull him out of the hole, with great courage and knowledge of how to move in extreme conditions of water. Definitely a champion.
BTW, Azapa, please help me cause I'm an old man with frequent memory failures. The world championship in Chile, Iquique 2004....I don't remember who was the winner.....:t

Reactions: dave
I expect Pete Crawford would have won if his senior bus pass went that far. (I recognise one name on the list.)

Last edited:
i meant the best in the around the world lol. I also meant the best spearfisherman of all time just not this time

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…