• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

who makes the best fins?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

aahunt03

Jul 10, 2004
Who makes the best freediving fins out on the market? Also, when is Riffe coming out with their new fins??

I know absolutely nothing about fins.... could someone give me a little insight? Carbon, Fiber, Plastic, i don't get any of it. And why "freediving" fins. Can't i just buy some comfortable ones from Wal-Mart?

fins

hi skarz, i use Cressi Gara3000 with full satisfactory, 5 years ago I started freediving with SeacSub Genesis, quite tough blades but good for deep diving. I think the OMER Millenium Competition are one of the best too. My choice is Gara3000 if I go to better fins I buy some carbon fins, maybe C4 carbons.

Specialfins, everyone who gets them aer VERY satisfied. I love mine to death and would never let anyone touch them or buy them off me!

Depends on you, fins are extremely specific to the user. I have been super pleased with specialfins, but it would be quite possible for you to get better performance with a different brand if they fit your legs and style better. I'm still trying to decide which of two different specialfin blades is best for me.

Connor

yeah... I suggest emailing Jyri: Jyri@specialfins.com
He helped me with my millions of complicated questions and even spent a while trying a find a way to get the cheapest shipping and also got me a photo of my fins before he sent them!!!
Send him my regards :p

just to ask another fin-related question. can anyone advise on soft med or stiff blades? i am sure it is a personal thing, but i don't know whether to go for soft of medium (female, not that strong, fairly small build)...how soft is soft? help...
cheers
alex

Fins and stiffness

I think Specialfins Hybrid Pros are the best fin on the market. A close second are the fiberplastic fins by OMER, Waterway, Matix, etc. The best stiffness depends on your size and the depth you dive.

For a small framed female not particularly strong and not diving much below 20 metres, go for a soft blade.

Mark

Reactions: Pezman
thanks for advice - but who said anything about not going deeper than 20m? do you still advise soft fins even if i intend to go well beyond?
cheers alex

Originally posted by alexluchetti
thanks for advice - but who said anything about not going deeper than 20m? do you still advise soft fins even if i intend to go well beyond?
cheers alex

Depth is one of the criteria, along with size. Are you currently diving deeper or do you just plan to? The deeper you go the better legs you'll need to come back up. How are your legs? Are you a serious bicycler, ballet dancer or runner or something else athletic leg-wise? Your post sounded not. Also, the smaller you are the less power and less fin you will need to propel yourself through the water column. Don't buy stiffer fins if they will just make you cramp up. It's best to try a few before buying and then you will know. It's not a decision to be be made by anyone other than yourself, but if you can't try first, then buy more than one pair. You will naturally gravitate toward the pair that suits you best.
Mark

One more thing, Alex...

Different fins for different purposes. There is no perfect fin for one person for all purposes. For lots of surface swimming a softer fin is better. For diving over 30m most people seem to prefer a stiff fin. For diving to 20 to 30m most people seem to prefer a medium fin. Personal size and strength must also be calculated.
Mark

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT