• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Who wants to go Spearfishing in Cuba?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

poildeq

Cuba Si
Mar 10, 2011
Guys,

I just came back from a fabulous spearfishing trip from Cuba, caught a 35 lbs Jack and lots of fish from a two grouper 25 lbs approx and another at 45 lbs and many others...
Here is my thought, I spoke to the manager of the hotel I was staying and asked him if he would be interested to accomodate 10 spearos for a week long of spear fishing, and he was totally enthusiastic about the proposition.
Are there 10 spearos here who would like to accompany me next year on such an adventure, of course there are lots of details to sort out as Cuba can be a little complicated...
I guess I am asking for a show of hand...lol The cost would be a week at the hotel, plus the price of a Motor boat and the guides. probably about $50-75 per day per person for these 2 things which would be on top of the hotel stay. From Canada it cost me about $1000. including air fares for a week, per person. ( all inclusive) The bungalows are right on the beach. I can post pictures of the site if anyone is interested, for the trip to be affordable we really need 10 spearos.
I have made the connectiopn with the local Cuban spearos.
here are some pics

Attachments

• 06.18-06.25 026.jpg
    06.18-06.25 026.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 296
  • DSCF0363.jpg
    DSCF0363.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 307
  • DSCF0430.jpg
    DSCF0430.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 294
  • DSCF0524.jpg
    DSCF0524.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 301
oh! forgot to add in the post that I am actually pointing at the Tomba kit in one of the pics, great work Tromic the dry barrel comfounded my cuban mates..they could not get believe how accurate and quiet it was. Great work Tromic thanks

Fantastic, thanks for sharing but please tell us more details about your catch?
PS Tromic kits rule....

Foxfish,
the waters of Cuba are rich and varied, I get a little mixed up with their different names some local and some international, just like the jack fish which they call palometta, we were at various depth from 15 mts to about 2 mts and in and out of the reefs, all the fish were caught in the northern keys visibility was excellent water varied in temp, should have worn a shortie as after 5 mts the water does get chilly, but hey I am Canadian...we were roughly 2-3 kms offshore. The cubans have primitive spearguns but they make it up with their knowledge of the surrounding..There was never a hint of ever being skunked...lobster was plentiful and we grabbed a cpl everyday for dinner..Canada does allow the importation of fish and I brought a cooler which I filled to bring back with me. I have spearfished in many islands of the caribean and the Indian Ocean, Cuba trumps them all in abundance and variety. They all liked the Tomba but the free shaft made them balk. I understand why, they go after massive fishes..my cuban mate had a cuban made gun and a 10 mm tahitian type shaft...I tried loading it and it took me all the strength I could muster to do it....I had 2 guides with opposite hunting styles, but just as effective...I informed them of the invasion of the Lion fishes in their waters...and they all told me that it was never in their waters 10 years ago, I left them with my Hawaian spear as we must have killed about 15 of them most of them in the 3-5 lbs range, obviously they have no predator judging by their sizes..
It was 7 days of non stop spearfishing..loved it...

Thanks - sound just about ideal.
I would like to see one of the locals big guns, they sound interesting.
Cayo Largo looks cool too & I believe to be the most popular spearfishing Cuban Island?

oh! forgot to add in the post that I am actually pointing at the Tomba kit in one of the pics, great work Tromic the dry barrel comfounded my cuban mates..they could not get believe how accurate and quiet it was. Great work Tromic thanks

Thanks, poildeq! I made a design of Tomba. Marko did the artistic work. Nice pictures. :friday

Last edited:
Once again nice pictures and interesting story for me, I see such big fishes only on pictures and on movies on youtube :)

:friday

man!!!
move the cuban island near Europe :D:D:D:D
great story, great pictures, great hunter!!!
have some rep points from me and a like!

Well I did not take any pics f their big guns but on the outside they all look the same but inside it seems that its all made in house, the inside tube in 1 of the cuban I was fishing with was 14 mms and made out of stainless steel from an air conditioning conduit.. so he said, his gun was the most powerful. He told me he has shot a 100 lbs Tarpon with it. They go after the big fish because it feeds the whole neighbourhood and watching them clean the fishes I realised that they are rather wasteful, but hey I was happy that they fed their friends with the fish we caught, I gave the Jack Crevalle to 1 of the waiters who was having a fathers day fiesta for 30 ppl at his house. They are great ppl do not believe the propaganda, poor yes but dignified, u will not see any beggars or hangers on in town or around the resorts. Their brand of spanish is a little confusing but we get by.
Sadly I also found out they hunt turtles and sharks, but in the face of malnutrition which they endure, I cannot blame them in good consience...its the embargo which is to blame. I left them with some Tylenol and the woman jumped at me to kiss me....so rare r western medicine there.

Reactions: Don Paul
Thanks - sound just about ideal.
I would like to see one of the locals big guns, they sound interesting.
Cayo Largo looks cool too & I believe to be the most popular spearfishing Cuban Island?

Let's set a date for our bucket list.:friday:friday I have never been there.

Cheers Don

I am serious about leading a group of spearos to our fishing hole..
we need 10 ppl to make it happen

another it looks like a snapper but its not back home we call it dame berry

Attachments

• DSCF0784.jpg
    DSCF0784.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 247
I'd be interested... I am sure that some of the other freedivers from Toronto and MTL would be game too! $1000 to Freedive with and spear some large pelagics? sounds good to me!

Sounds good guys, u need to PM me and we will get it going or we can use the forum here and make a date.
Here is a pict with a view from the bungalow to the beach (in case ur significant other asks for it)

Attachments

• P1030356.jpg
    P1030356.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 252
1 which was sent to me by a tourist who took this picture

Attachments

• P1010206.jpg
    P1010206.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 254
Reactions: Don Paul
Going to Cayo Coco in a few weeks. Anyone around there at that time?

Any local spearos I can hook up with?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT