• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Who will win the mens Constant Weight competition?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Who will win the Mens Constant Weight Competition in Cyprus?

• Carlos Coste

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • Guillaume Nery

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Herbert Nitsch

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Pierre Frolla

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martin Stepanek

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Ronald Laurens

• Stephane Mifsud

• Bill Stromberg

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Fred Buyle

• Lee Donnelly

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Jonas Lauden

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Mathias Launer

• Kazuaki Ichikawa

• Kirk Krack

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Unknown or Outsider [Place your choice in a post below]

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephan Whelan

Papa Smurf
Staff member
Admin
Jan 7, 1999
In the latest article by Pete Scott and Eric Fattah, in our lead-up coverage to the Sony FreeDiver Open Classic competition, we provide a list of the contenders for the men's competition in Cyprus.

However, not statisfied with our authors predictions we want to hear your votes for the person you think will win the Mens Constant Weight competition.

Vote above and then continue to watch our coverage to see if your prediction is correct!

Last edited:
I vote Martin :)

Let me see if I'm getting this right... if he floods his sinuses for a wet eq and sets a new wr, it's still classed as a record, he just doesn't get full points? I think he'd rate a record over winning a comp...

Correct. If Martin decides to use water to equalize and sets a record, Sebastien Nagel has said that in 'all likelihood' it will count as a WR, even though there will be a 10 point penalty. Kind of strange rules.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

...and i watched herbert nitsch doing +- 85 m dives during a training week here in dahab, and the guy didn't really sweat.

whoever is going to win will definitely deserve it.

cheers

roland

I woul say Martin S because i am in a finswimming club and I know that perfect swimming style save energy (O2).
I am sure that if some world class monofinswimmers turn to freediving they would soon kick ass :D

I believe in Herbert but if Martin has switched to mono it will be even more interesting.

Does anyone knows if Martin use a mono now?

I would like to see Martin win, because I have met him and spent a little time in the water with him, but I think that Carlos will be the guy. Good luck to all,
Erik Y.

hi

I woulda thought Carlos and Herbet will for sure be number 1 and 2 for sure but I guess Martin did 70m in those crappy little fins ?? :cool:

cheers

hi

Then again if Seb Murat was there he would probably smoke em all with 100m+ :D :D :D

cheers

I think Herert is going to make it. He is in very good shape now.
Something around 200+, he is not coming up until he crosses the line.

If Martin is going first doesn't that mean he has posted the deepest depth ?
ie if he makes the dive he has the world record. Hope so, Go Martin ! :D

Ivan, Seb is an amazing diver but you can't compare what someone does training in ideal conditions, versus competition. 2 very different things. Not saying that he wouldn't have had a good chance of winning, but doubt if he could match his 100m+ training dives. He was doing them in really warm water without wetsuit, liquid goggles etc. All of which can't be used in comp.

I still think Herb's 86m record is the most impressive. Done under the pressure of competition, wearing a normal mask. That takes perfect focus.

Cheers,
Wal

Where can I find the list of subscribed depths? I cannot find it here nor on the official web site.

pi

breaking news!

sorry if i'm ruining someone's exclusive, but i have been reliably informed that...
Herbert and Martin are both going for PBs....93m
Carlos and Guillaume are both going for 85m.
Herbert and Martin are diving early on thursday morning. dont know about Carlos and Guillaume

that's all i know just now.

....oh, and Herbert apparently did something like a 8.27 static a few days ago. static record is bound to be broken.

Last edited:
Wow! 93m

Where do you get this stuff from Alun?!?!:confused:

Where are the results!!!

I need to know NOW!!

i can't find anything on the net either. hoped that something would be posted to freediver, but nothing since the last time i looked.
i have my sources!!... sent via text from Emma this morning - so early, the phone woke me up!

hi

Wow Herbet did a 8:27 static I still hope that Karl Pernett wins and he has my vote but that is incredible, by the sounds of things Herbet is going to take the overall title.

I hear you Wal and Im sure that the comp dives are much harder but Im just going by what all of them have done in training, and by training results Seb is way ahead. That sucks about that fluid google rule though eh :naughty

cheers

hi

I just had a thought that if both Martin and Herbet do their dives successfully who gets the Wr both will have a joint record or something, sounds a bit weird.

cheers

I was talking to Wal about this at the pool tonight

(Good to see you back by the way Andy :))

Wal said whoever does the attempt first will get the record - the other person will just equal it. But how do they decide who gets to dive first? Flip a coin? It'd prolly be the first WR that was ever decided by a toss of a coin... (though they still have to make a successful dive)

The top times for the next few days went up last night. Unfortunately there an NO media briefings so getting copies of these things to upload is nigh on impossible. Emma's information is correct though...Thursday is the big day for Herbert and Martin. Guillaume and Carlos are going out on Wednesday.

I'm in the process of writing up todays key points and will publish later on. My photographer will be uploading photos later tonight from today.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT