• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

why are curse words such a big deal?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jtkwest

recreational user
Dec 2, 2007
i have had a few of my posts deleted for containing a curse word. the uptight moderators told me to keep it pg13. which i think is a good idea. problem is: there are plenty of curse words in pg13 movies. which means (if i have to spell it out)means that the moderators of movies realize that curse words are for people 13 and up. who on this site is under 13? has there EVER been someone on here that young? even if they were 13 (which is 3 years younger than anyone i have ever heard from on db) they ARE old enough to hear curse words as determined by society in general. so are the db moderators some kind of self imposed religeous fanatics or something? if so, then maybe we should get some new moderators who arent more easily offended than your average 12 year old? spearfishing is a dangerous sport for 7 year olds. maybe they should stick with matchbox cars or something. some people are offende by the fact that we kill fish at all. are we going to bow to them and stop? i realize you brits are a little uptight but this is ridiculous! grow the f-up!!!!!

Why do you need to use bad language? Are you unable to make your point without them?

This site is an oasis in the desert of internet dross due entirely to the way is it moderated, and long may it remain so.

If you don't like it no one makes you come here.

I curse like a pirate on my boat at sea with my salty crew. Here in my home I have a GF and young boy looking at my screen, so I don't look at web sites that feature vulgar distasteful images or language. I very rarely curse around my family.

The web is like the TV. lots of channels from Jerry Springer to Nova and PBS.
as I am the Nova, BBC and PBS watcher the moderation here is welcome and admired and is one of the reasons I feel comfortable with the site around my kid.

Cheers, Don

Last edited:
Reactions: ReefTroll
Good one Kars, but my kid's french is better then what I can still spell.
Who say's prolonged breathhold doesn't kill brain cells.:crutch

Cheers, Don

I guess it encourages a more imaginative turn of phrase. I use v. colourful language in real life on occasion, usually when frustrated to let off steam - and for some reason only the most extreme versions will do sometimes - but it's better to avoid it, less offensive & suggests that you have better self control/upbringing/education - which may or may not be true. When typing for the forum, you have an opportunity to correct yourself - so why not do it? How would you feel if you bought a newspaper or magazine and every other word was a curse?

If it's any consolation, even plummy Stephen Fry, perhaps the BBC's most eloquent TV presenter, who is said to have "a brain the size of a planet",with his RP pronunciation and a fancy private/Oxbridge education - resorts to "coarse language", such as "the f word" and others on occasion on the BBC (standards are down everywhere!). Usually he manages to come out with something a bit cleverer though.

Capitalization & paragraphs help/encourage readers to tackle longer posts too - rather than just scan over them.

Last edited:
perhaps because we uptight americans don't want to hear them either....:duh

(and just think of the endless hours of enjoyment you can have jtkW cursing aloud by yourself at your computer screen! rofl )

kp

I thought this post was closed? There certainly isnt more to add to it. I said my piece, everyone has had their say, no? Certainly nothing new has been added. I see the error of my ways. Sorry to all of you out there ,(especially the ladies and the brits), i'm sure some of you brit sailors curse as bad as i do in real life. Most of the ones i know in real life certainly do.
What can i say? i'm a colorful fellow. this is the only place in this world where i am required to "watch my mouth" so its gonna take some getting used to. At work i curse ( mostly at my own stupidity) At home i curse and i dont go to church.
The whole concept of it is rather new to me.

I will just pretend i am at my grandmothers dinner table.
That is the one place i dont use offensive language. Its hard to imagine my grandmother spearfishing, but i will pretend anyway, (she is a tenacious old gal though!)
I guess i'm not used to dealing with such a diverse crowd, but in the end , that is the thing i most like about this site= diversity. Its been a work in progress for me,(learning how to act on an international site), as its easy to think of everyone as an american man of my own age and experiences , especially since all the spearos i know ARE just that.

I'm actually a likable guy, most of the time, since i am very genuine,(what you see/ hear, is what you get)= no hidden agendas, etc..

If i like you, i tell you. If i don't like something you do, I tell you. If i dont like you generally= I just ignore you in the first place, so its easy to figure me out.
Most people appreciate that kind of honesty in a world full of hidden agendas and backstabbers. But the language on a forum such as this has no place.
pardon me once again.......jason

Reactions: Kars and Adrian
Your Ok buddy, takes a man to say those words. Dive safe mate.
Out.

Cheers, Don

well good on you jason .
up in my estimation
up tight brit non sailor profound cursor

What's wrong with just #$%^&*! when you feel the need--we can all fill the blanks. :t

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT