• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Why do YOU love free-diving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Apr 11, 2018
Hi guys i saw this as an older forum topic & i loved the responses they gave. I have very recently discovered that i would love to freedive in the ocean. I was curious to see what the "draw" is for you folks who are "vets" at the sport!

I love freediving because of the the challenge and dsicipline. I's fun to try to extend my abilities, improve my stroke, longer dynamics, etc. Also, the relaxation from breath holding is kind of addictive. I'm not talking about personal best statics - but the first couple of minutes of a dive when you just let go, drifting slowly, very meditative, and the fullness in my chest feels good. After a good pool session I don't want to quit.

Reactions: Richard Bender
Thank you Mark! For me it's more the relaxation part of it. Almost like this is the thing i've been looking for my whole life, and just didn't know it was an actual "discipline." I've *always* struggled with anxiety etc, so i think this will "force" me to learn to relax. I would personally love to swim in the ocean and encounter fish and other sea life and explore! Thus in the next few years if I can plan it i would like to move closer to the ocean so i can experience it. Pools are great too, dont get me wrong. But I swam in the Atlantic and i loved it (not even diving, just swimming and bodysurfing).

Just being submerged is enough. I always loved being under water, swimming and diving always felt very natural to me. Obviously the more natural it gets you get used to deep. I don’t like to push myself, I like the natural gradual progression that comes with time.

I always liked being underwater and as a kid I would hold my breath and swim more under the water than above it. I guess depth diving is the next step from there, just being under and enjoying the sensations of it all. I'm naturally competitive with myself and like to improve what ever I'm doing, so that drives me to train and get better.. since the deeper you go the longer you get to enjoy the dive.

One of my favourite things to do while freediving, that I don't get/make the effort to do enough, is diving on large shipwrecks. Its really fun to interact with a "dry environment" while underwater. For example freefalling headfirst down a staircase is an interesting and playful way to approach a structure that we would normally walk on.

These are awesome reasons. I am trying to motivate myself to make a decision to move to FL or somewhere similar. I feel like if i am to pursue this and make the rest of my life more enjoyable i may have to make it a priority? I agree with Nathan i swam underwater a lot as a younger man once i figured out the water wouldn't hurt me :) Sub Sub thanks for your reply, too. Cool stuff !

Reactions: SubSub
I always liked being underwater and as a kid I would hold my breath and swim more under the water than above it. I guess depth diving is the next step from there, just being under and enjoying the sensations of it all. I'm naturally competitive with myself and like to improve what ever I'm doing, so that drives me to train and get better.. since the deeper you go the longer you get to enjoy the dive.

One of my favourite things to do while freediving, that I don't get/make the effort to do enough, is diving on large shipwrecks. Its really fun to interact with a "dry environment" while underwater. For example freefalling headfirst down a staircase is an interesting and playful way to approach a structure that we would normally walk on.
I'd like to do that in the springs we have near here, if i can get certified soon enough. If not it will have to be next year after our very long winter :(

I love freediving because of the the challenge and dsicipline. I's fun to try to extend my abilities, improve my stroke, longer dynamics, etc. Also, the relaxation from breath holding is kind of addictive. I'm not talking about personal best statics - but the first couple of minutes of a dive when you just let go, drifting slowly, very meditative, and the fullness in my chest feels good. After a good pool session I don't want to quit.

How do you mitigate the risks? That thought keeps scaring me away in the sense that I can be impulsive and have some issues w/ anxiety generally

How do I mitigate risk? When I push myself I have a buddy to spot me.

I guess that's the overwhelming mantra i keep hearing - and i would add a caveat to this - never dive alone and never dive w/ an inexperienced buddy? Myself for example I do not consider myself capable at this point of doing anything other than watching another person dive. I fear without proper training I would not act in time, nor know what to do. I feel i need to go through a couple of courses first then practice a LOT!

These are awesome reasons. I am trying to motivate myself to make a decision to move to FL or somewhere similar. I feel like if i am to pursue this and make the rest of my life more enjoyable i may have to make it a priority? I agree with Nathan i swam underwater a lot as a younger man once i figured out the water wouldn't hurt me :) Sub Sub thanks for your reply, too. Cool stuff !
Why don't you make a trip to a freediving school? either down south, florida or Caribbean, or within driving distance (your profile says new york) I know some really good instructors in/near Montreal and Toronto. You can make a week, or two) trip of it, take a course and get a good week or 2 of proper depth diving under your belt. If you like it so much to take it seriously then consider moving around for it, or if you decide its not for you at least you got the full and proper experience..

Why don't you make a trip to a freediving school? either down south, florida or Caribbean, or within driving distance (your profile says new york) I know some really good instructors in/near Montreal and Toronto. You can make a week, or two) trip of it, take a course and get a good week or 2 of proper depth diving under your belt. If you like it so much to take it seriously then consider moving around for it, or if you decide its not for you at least you got the full and proper experience..

if i had a *real* job i could. But i did not know about Montreal / Toronto. That's another option. I simply may have to put this off for the year until I am financially prepared (i dont even have gear yet). I really appreciate the advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nathan Vinski
It's fun on a bun. It's a sport that's easy on the wallet and easy on my joints.

if i had a *real* job i could. But i did not know about Montreal / Toronto. That's another option. I simply may have to put this off for the year until I am financially prepared (i dont even have gear yet). I really appreciate the advice.

A lot of sales start happenin at the end of the summer/season, when stores wana move old inventory. Don't miss out.

I do agree with you. Once you have "gear" i guess i have been told you are set for a while until things start to wear out or break...I have no interest in killing fish, just swimming with them :ROFLMAO: No offense to the "spearo's" out there... I mainly need to figure out masks / snorkels/ wetsuits / fins...

Reactions: DerekB
Are you talking about gear?

Yep. For example, a sea-doo shop will practically give their wetsuits away at the end of the season, just to get ready for snow-mobile season.

I suggest trying on your mask/fins/suit before buying. You need them to fit your body. But if money is really tight, you can buy a cheap combo set (fins+mask+snorkle) at a general sports-store. It probably wont fit perfectly, but will get you in the water until you can find better gear.

Thanks for all the good info. I live in the Northeast, so i'll probably be putting off doing this till next summer. But that gives me time to look things over and plan :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT