• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Why do YOU love free-diving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Moving smoothly through the water without any gear (just fins and mask), feeling the sea caressing all my body ;-). Enjoying the silence, and all the beauty of the underwater world...

Reactions: Richard Bender
Moving smoothly through the water without any gear (just fins and mask), feeling the sea caressing all my body ;-). Enjoying the silence, and all the beauty of the underwater world...

This sounds a LOT like what i think i'm going to adore about it. I have never freedived (dove?) in the ocean to any extent. cannot wait to try it!!

I think I enjoy just hanging out with all the fish. A slow descent so as not to startle them , then settle down in the rocks and wait for their curiosity to bring them to you. I have had a Queen triggerfish swim up to me, stop two feet from my mask then turn it’s head so as to look at me from a different angle, much like a dog will sometimes do when you are speaking to it. Or getting swarmed by a bunch of big snappers. Each species has a typical predictable way they will relate to your presence. Plus the pure fun of neutral buoyancy, floating thru space.

Why don't you make a trip to a freediving school? either down south, florida or Caribbean, or within driving distance (your profile says new york) I know some really good instructors in/near Montreal and Toronto. You can make a week, or two) trip of it, take a course and get a good week or 2 of proper depth diving under your belt. If you like it so much to take it seriously then consider moving around for it, or if you decide its not for you at least you got the full and proper experience..

Hey Nathan -
Do you have any contact info for the Montreal freediving school? It seems to be as close to go there, or Boston
Thanks for the advice

Hey Nathan -
Do you have any contact info for the Montreal freediving school? It seems to be as close to go there, or Boston
Thanks for the advice

info@apneeaventure.com

or

apneacity@videotron.ca

The second one (apneacity) is the school that I did my courses with, but after sending a friend of mine (from boston) to train with them, the feedback was they they weren't as accommodating as apneeaventure. My opinion is that in the last few years their business model has changed slightly and they are more into a production-line style of teaching..

He actually trained with both clubs and preferred 'apneeaventure'. Their website is only in french but can and will teach english-only students.

info@apneeaventure.com

or

apneacity@videotron.ca

The second one (apneacity) is the school that I did my courses with, but after sending a friend of mine (from boston) to train with them, the feedback was they they weren't as accommodating as apneeaventure. My opinion is that in the last few years their business model has changed slightly and they are more into a production-line style of teaching..

He actually trained with both clubs and preferred 'apneeaventure'. Their website is only in french but can and will teach english-only students.

Thank you very much!!

During winter pool sessions are on the program...I like them as well as I concentrate on my body and fluid motion though the water. After them my lungs are wide and all tenions fall off..

I like being under water as it feels like the last place where I'm allowed to be free and wild. It connects with me in a way no other environment does. That is also why I react so badly when I find another pile of plastic, tires or even the back half of a motorcycle down there.

So never dive with inexperienced buddy?

How will inexperienced freedivers find a buddy then to gain experience?

Yeah, chicken... egg... The first freediver certainly didn't have any experience.

I'd say, from my own perspective, that diving with inexperienced buddies would be perfectly possible, as long as you know what each other's limits are and have a well working brain. Progress would still be possible, albeit slowly and probably on a different track than the organized world.

Also, what is experience? Is it having three levels of certification, is it so many years in the water, is it 'my father and my father's father and so on dived'?
I rockclimb as well, and I know some 'experienced' people who climb 14 years, where born on the Mt. Everest and what not, but when they encounter a situation that is deviates from what they learned they are nothing. I also know newcomers who I didn't even have to explain how to belay, they did it right naturally, as to them it's logic. So yes, one without certification and three hours of hands-on experience can beat the oldtimer that just copied what the book or teacher said.

Of course, diving and rock climbing aren't the same; it's hard to drown on a mountain or to fall to death under water. But for the rest they are quite similar.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT