• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wilmington, NC area freedivers

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hey, I'm a Navy frog in an Army pond, here in Ft. Bragg , NC...I'm from San Diego and I am always looking to hook up with local spearos...safe and happy hollidays!

I finally found someone!! I'm looking for a group to go out to the water with..or even just another person. I need a dive buddy. I'm new to this, and I could stand to learn a few things from the seasoned pros out there... I hold you back.. just looking for a group that knows where to go.. and doesn't mind a cherry tagging along! Thanks..

OK sorry this has taken so long, but here is a little local info. We have two jetties at the south end of wrightsville beach. The north jetty is the most accessible and it is ~600m+ in length and the depths range from 3-34' and the vis can be highly variable and is tidally dependent. High tide can bring viz in excess of 15-20', though this hasn't happened often this year. It is accessible by shore and can be circumnavigated in about 1.5-2hrs. There are countless holes and caves to explore on both the inlet and ocean side. - PM me for more exact info- The majority of the gamefish are near the end of the jetty, minus a few hotspots that I will let everyone find on their own. Be aware though that Red Drum are not legal to take by spear, and there are a few Jewfish in the nooks and crannies that are protected also. However a few of the food fish that you may encounter are: Sheepshead, Spadefish, Black Drum, Flounder, Cobia, Spanish Mackerel, Bluefish, Striped Bass, Tautog, Jacks, etc. I have also seen Mola Mola (ocean sunfish) of several hundred pounds there, sea turtles, dolphin, etc...If you hang out at the end long enough there is no telling what you will see. We have seen Mahi, Sailfish, and king Mackerel within a quarter mile of the end of the jetty. Vis is most often in the 5-8' range, but a couple days of the week it can be 10'+ On the more rare days I have had top to bottom vis at the end 30'+. If you are in the area, give me a ring and we will hit the jetty and also head out to some of the nearshore wrecks...we have a 400' wreck ~2 miles out of the inlet that lies in 50' of water and there are countless other wrecks and ledges within a 45min ride. We are always looking to introduce other freedivers to our normal haunts. Just PM if you are going to be in the area and we will set something up. This is the time of year that the diving heats up!

Dive Safe-

matt

Matt, hi! I realize this is an ancient thread, so I wanted to see if you are still around on the forum. Moving to either Wilmington or possibly some neighboring suburb very soon-possibly August. Trying to figure out the ins and outs of local freediving and spearfishing and wondering if you can help:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT