• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Winter Action

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

AL Sanders

May 29, 2011
Out of interest, has anyone had any joy during the winter months between Dec -Feb? I'm contemplating a wetsuit upgrade!

Jan & Feb are generally rubbish as virtually all inshore fish have disappeared.
Most fish move offshore in the stormy months, either to breed or escape the ground swells.
Cod & flounder are caught by rod fishermen but suitable spearfishing days are few & far between!
Of course there will always be exceptions - good luck.
In Dec you can still get most fish if you can get out there, red mullet & sole are quite often here until late December.

Although Foxfish is of course quite right regarding the fishing; i very much enjoy getting in the water through the winter when the seas calm down enough. I have had some crystal clear dives - much clearer than in the summer. and the whole lack of weed makes it a very different environment too.
Depends whether you dive to fish or dive to dive...

I’m 100% with Jonny, some of the best dive’s I’ve had have been in the winter, best vis, no idiots on jetskis and not to many people whipping the best car parking spots. Of course not to many fish around but still the chance of finding a feed with the odd Scallop and flatfish.
Clear still winter days, sun shining and a flat sea with crystal vis, I can’t wait!

hmm, I'm liking the idea of winter diving. What water temps can I expect along the Sussex/Dorset coast? Glad I have my 7mm now.

hmm, I'm liking the idea of winter diving. What water temps can I expect along the Sussex/Dorset coast? Glad I have my 7mm now.

Last year at its coldest my D3 was giving 5 degrees, the year before we had one dive in 4 degrees. Gives you the old ice cream head ache for the first 5 mins but you soon numb up to it and after that it’s fine for an hour or so. Oh and i use a 5mm so in your 7mm you'll be fine.

Reactions: apneaboy

Blimey that is chilly!! Good job I have the fourth element thermocline farmer john (usualy for warm water diving) which can go underneath if necessary.

Sporasub have a Baltic camo suit in their new catalog it comes in 5, 7, & 9mm

Reactions: apneaboy
Thanks for that 9mm sunds very interesting. Will check them out.
N doubt would need some serious weight on the belt!

I like winter diving apart from the getting in and out bit.

I'm thinking of taking a small pop up tent and a heater this year for that bit

Smart idea that one but make sure the heater is propane type and has a knock-over cut off safety switch. Getting shrink wrapped in molten nylon would suck. :duh

Reactions: foxfish
I saw a lad once try and screw in one of those propane one use burners at the top and mess it up, he left a small hole and it didn't seat so tried again, leaving the correct sized hole in a different place.

I swear on my life he would have tried to light it if every single person who saw him do it didn't scream at him and stop him, scary.

I like winter diving apart from the getting in and out bit.

I'm thinking of taking a small pop up tent and a heater this year for that bit

Gert soft northern wuss, you can’t beat a bit of jogger’s nipple when you’re getting changed, that’s how you know its winter.

Smart idea that one but make sure the heater is propane type and has a knock-over cut off safety switch. Getting shrink wrapped in molten nylon would suck. :duh

Chef, I reckon Apboy would probably enjoy getting wrapped up in warm nylon….:girlieroflrofl

Erm.... I meant in winter I'm taking extra ice for down my duds.

And ice cream

Southern jessies!

;-)

I'm not sure you need a shortie too; you do get used to the colder water, seriously.

Here in Norway most of us use 7mm for winter, spring and autumn.Personally I only have a 5mm,will upgrade soon,but I have been diving all year with this suit.My coldest dive was last christmas; minus 4 degrees celcius in the air and minus 1 in the water! I usually use a 1mm vest under my suit and a 3mm shorty on the outside,a bit stiff and cumbersome,but it works.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…