• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Winter coalfish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Anders

Halibut hunter
Nov 13, 2008
In early December last year I had the fortune of being invited to spear big coalfish with a couple of my buddies that live further south.
The coalfish or saithe (Pollachius virens) is a very common, and usually small, species which are a very common prey for the most commonly speared fishes in Norway, such as cod or pollack. The coalfish congregate in giant schools all along the coast from early spring until late fall and prefer areas with lots of current. The predators are usually lurking just below the school, waiting for their chance to grab dinner. However, as the year draws to an end and the majority of the fish are leaving the Norwegian fjords for deeper and warmer waters off shore, some fish stay behind. Among those are schools of large coalfish, which have outgrown their congeners but still maintain their schooling behaviour. These fish are very sought after by anglers and spearos for their fighting capabilities and tasty flesh. They are also the only somewhat pelagic species that can be commonly found in Norwegian waters and is the closest thing to blue water hunting you can do in the Norwegian fjords.
In early December the water still has some of its summer warmth left while the air temp often drops below 0. The boat ride to the spot was therefore a bit cold, but the water still nice and warm at 9 degrees. As I jumped in and started my decent into the green (commonly known as the blue), dark shapes appeared everywhere and suddenly I was level with the school. What an amazing sight! Hundreds of coalfish, swimming about in their normal schooling way, were circling me as I met them eye to eye. The only difference from the norm was that these fish were not the bait; they were 10 times the normal size. All the fish in the school were somewhere between 5 and 15 kg and I was half expecting a 100 kg cod to come up from the abyss to grab dinner. Needless to say, we had a blast and got some really nice fish, my biggest being about 12.5 kg and the biggest between the three of us went about a kg more (~30 lbs).

Coalfish.jpg

My buddy even got some video of the action:
Spearfishing Storsei. - YouTube

All in all a very good trip that (almost) has me looking forward to the Norwegian winter again!

Reactions: podge and manalive!
Wow...fantastic story and great diving.... I thought you were sooooooooooooo deep cos ti was so dark, but then it showed the surface and boat and I didn't know?
So how deep were the coalfish... I'd love to shoot one!

Are you sure you didn't pull that straight from the freezer? It's got ice on it!

Good work, hats off.

Wow...fantastic story and great diving.... I thought you were sooooooooooooo deep cos ti was so dark, but then it showed the surface and boat and I didn't know?
So how deep were the coalfish... I'd love to shoot one!

They were down at 7-12 meters I think, so not very deep. It was quite tricky to tell depth since there was no bottom in sight.

The air temp was just below freezing I think, -1 or -2 degrees, so no need for a fish cooler ;)

Cracking fishing once again Anders, lovely fish, well done sir.:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT