• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Winter Spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jon

Dairyland diver
Supporter
Apr 7, 2001
Ted and I got out to do a little spearing in the middle of a snowstorm yesterday. We found a warm water discharge pipe for the local utility company to play in. :cool:

The water at the pipe was a balmy 57 degrees. As you moved away from the pipe, to the east, it dropped down to 37 degrees. We played back and forth between the cold clear water, 6-8' of vis, to the warm murky water, less than 3' of vis.

After three hours the snow let up and we made the mad dash back to the cars to change.:D

Here's what it looked like.

Last edited:
Reactions: Griff and loopy
My car ready for action.;)

Last edited:
Ted stalking the big one.:eek:

Last edited:
Mr. Musky looking for leftovers.
Sorry, but it's the closest thing we have to sharks in these parts.

Last edited:
Ted takes aim on a nice carp.
:p ;)

Last edited:
A day's catch.

We could have shot more, but there are only so many carp that you can smoke and eat. My Gandfather has some Great Depression era recipies that he wants us to try out. We'll see how well those work.

Last edited:
Reactions: icarus pacific
Holy crap that is cold. I cant even belive those pics. Mad props to you pal. I hope those carp were worth it.

Latr,

Aquiles

Cool post Jon! Better not let the life insurance folks see this ;) or "snorkeling" will need redefining. Check out the avatar. Pretty stylish eh :)?

Make no mistake about it Aquilles. If I didn't have Jon to crack the whip, I would never have had the initiative to jump in the water on a day like that. He's got a little girl due in less than a month, so when he allocates some precious time to jump in, it takes a heck of a lot more than a little snow (and painfully cold temps) to hold him back. I was so freaking cold changing out of my suit :blackeye. Jon has more than a decade of "changing experience" on me, so he's always ready for tea and crumpits before I even have my top off.

I have the luxury of working in a building that is built on the shore of Madison's best lake (hot showers and easy access). But since that lake still has 18 inches of ice, we have to make due with the powerplant outlet (on a different lake). Next time I go diving on a 25F - 4 inches of snow day, the suit goes on at home and comes off at home.

Finally.....I'd like to share the good news about my new, 5mm Commercial Termic. Spent 3+ hours in the water temps Jon mentioned (37-57F) and never got a shiver, and the latex parts should help keep the riprap from putting smiles in it. A great suit...or maybe it's just because this is the first time I finally got to wear a suit that wasn't two sizes too large or had a damn zipper. Very comfy too.

Last edited:
Cool Story. 100% harcore rating. I'll be looking out for it on Ripley's.

Cheers
Mark

*shiver*

Man I had to go get a jumper just while reading that story...

What utiltity was it? Not the local sewrage works?:D

You two are the coolest, pun intended.:cool:

The one picture that I didn't get was how much snow was on our cars when we got OUT of the water. The batteries in my digital camera died while I was in the water and I didn't have any extras with me.

When we got out we had a good 4 inches of snow covering everything. This one guy did come running out of his house to get a picture of Ted cleaning off his windshield in a wetsuit while standing on a snowbank. :cool:

It's -5(F) this morning, but they are calling for temps in the 60's by Saturday.:D

Jon

Reactions: rigdvr
HARDCORE!

You guys win my vote of the year's most HARDCORE spearos. I would rather fight off a bullshark any day in South Florida than freeze my 'nads off for carp in a discharge line. It reminds me of that Toyota ad where the guy jumps in the ice and throws out a bunch of salmon. The only difference is that you guys are for real. WOW!

Originally posted by unirdna
Jon has more than a decade of "changing experience" on me, so he's always ready for tea and crumpits before I even have my top off.

Hey there Urd.

I don't know if you want to come out of the closet on this forum but by all means, if you feel comfy.... Go ahead:girlie :thankyou :)

Cool story and Pics...

Aquiles

I dont' know how adventurous we are. We just are not blessed with warm ocean water to play in and make do with what we have.

We shot all of the carp that we wanted and then the batteries on my camera died so we decided to get out. That was also about the same time that the snow let up and we could safely drive home.:D

You'd think that people from Wisconsin could drive in a snowstorm without ending up in the ditch and taking someone else with them. That was the most adventuous part of the day.;)

Jon

Originally posted by Aquiles
I don't know if you want to come out of the closet on this forum but by all means, if you feel comfy.... Go ahead:girlie :thankyou :)

Aquiles

rofl

I could see how my words might be construed as effeminate. I'll be sure to post some photos from my warm, Mexican vacation. When you see what a staunch, virile buck I am :martial, all question will be put to rest.

(surprised Iya didn't take his shot too ;))

Ted,

"virile, young buck"???

If I wasn't married and hadn't seen your girlfriend in her swimsuit I would think that we're gay!:head

Nice way to represent those of us from the Middle Coast.

Jon

Et tu, Brute?

Thanks for the vote of confidence, comrade.

....and you never saw her in the string bikini. That suit would knock the gay right out of any man :ko.

Here's to ya DBers :t

Ted

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT