• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

winter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

pembroke

Apr 24, 2009
ok not far away, do's anyone go out at that time of year and is there a lot to find ie cod etc, i know it depends where you live

Tong and I were out diving all through last winter. I remember the 28th of December being stupidly cold. We didn't see any fish all winter, except the odd wrasse or tiny pollock. We went scalloping instead, and got a fair few. Just make sure you have a warm suit, and a big Thermos waiting for you back at the car. Oddly, I dived more last winter than I have during this summer.

Winter is also a good time to go and freedive on any local shipwrecks. The kelp will have died back and you can have a good poke around. If you're lucky, you might find a few nice bits and pieces.

Mmmm! Yeah, scallop'y goodness is my winter sunshine :). Totally agree with Trelawney, I probably got in more last winter than I have this summer. It is a different vibe, but often very rewarding as the water can be very clear here in Cornwall.

I got out a fair bit last winter but didn't have any joy, lots of low vis cold days and not a fish to be seen :/

Winter diving is the best for shellfish.

And some late monster flatties:)

Bloody el lads, your glass is half empty isn't it.

ITS STILL SUMMER YIPPPPPEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Get out and sunbath and enjoy the meditteranean conditions :)

Reactions: Lazuli
I suppose it depends a bit on when you think of as winter. November can still be good for summer fish. Bass and flatfish can still be around and on a good year November can be a top month. November, December and often January are my top night diving months. The early dusk makes for convenient dive times but mainly this is the time for red mullet and to some extent soles. Squid are also at their largest and some bass are still around. February and March are just a dead loss and I seldom bother. Mid April sees me looking for an early bass and checking if the increasingly rare Easter plaice run is going to happen this year.

Dave.

Reactions: colinox
Cliff......

After Nov there will be nothing...... no fish..... and if there are fish...... no vis..... sad but true! Make the most of summer!!!!!!!!

What do you mean Winters not far away!?!

Winter officially started on July 1st this year... well... it bloody well did in Wales anyway!

Bloody el lads, your glass is half empty isn't it.

ITS STILL SUMMER YIPPPPPEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Get out and sunbath and enjoy the meditteranean conditions :)
summer not down here in pembrokeshire constant rain and winds

Goddamm southern jessies :)

I'm in me speedos and t-shirt until December!!

I don't care what the forecast is i'm having a summer I tell you!!! :martial

Goddamm southern jessies :)

I'm in me speedos and t-shirt until December!!

I don't care what the forecast is i'm having a summer I tell you!!! :martial

When you've finished with your summer, can you send it down our way for a while?

Maybe us Northeners should start rethinking summer now global warming has turned the UK upside down. We can't look hard in t-shirts outside if its sunny all the time.....

I'm going to start wearing a jumper in the next heatwave rofl

A quote from Jamaica. Always a positive outlook on the weather :)

'Ders no sach ting as reeen in Jamaica, ony liquid san'

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT