• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wisconsin Spearing Regulations

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Watch the regulations, some counties (mine...Winnebago) are closed for spearfishing from 3/16 - 4/1.

Don't want anyone to get pinched...

Gene

yea, i have no idea what the logic behind those dates is. one county is forbidden, the next one over is open all year round. weird.

I remember about 15 years ago there was controversy about Native American tribes' spearfishing-from-boats rights given to them in the 19th century treaties, where for a brief period in the spring in areas near their reservations they're allowed to spear however many fish they want to and no one from outside the tribe can. Perhaps it's related to that?

From the August 10th 2007 issue of Wisconsin Outdoor News -- Cuffs & Collars:

"Warden Stahl received a call of a subject fishing below the Stiles Dam with a spear gun. This area of Oconto County west of Hwy 141 is closed to spear fishing. Stahl watched the subject for some time trying to take fish with the spear gun. Stahl contacted the subject, who thought he could spear rough fish. One citation was issued".

I noticed it said that "Stahl watched the subject for some time trying to take fish with the spear gun." I assume that means it wasn't anyone on deeper blue :)

~Brian

Reactions: fleshy
The spearing regs say you cannot use spearing gear in a trout stream. Where is the list of streams located that are classified as trout streams. Second bullet under Use of Spears Restrictions
When I looked at the trout regs I see different colored streams for bag limits etc.. but never see any listing for the designation?
I know of some great places that hold both trout and rough fish but am unsure of how this works.

http://dnr.wi.gov/fish/regulations/2...aring06web.pdf

Last edited:
James,

I'm not sure on that one...TED, you know the answer there?...or anyone else?

Perhaps, all the trout streams are colored in the trout regs, others are not?

Gene

I'm pretty sure any stream on the trout map that is colored any color is a trout stream. Streams not colored aren't considered trout streams. When you get to an access point (even very remote access points) there is usually a sign there with the trout limit posted. If it isn't listed in the spearing regs as off limits, and it isn't in the trout regs, I personally would feel safe spearing there.
~Brian

In the 2007 2008 trout fishing regs under Waupaca Couty. Look at the Little Wolf River on the map. Some is colored, some is not. Turn to the county specific info and read: Little Wolf River-CTH J upstream to Ness road is category 5.(clearly a trout stream by your defenition.) Read on and find Little Wolf River- All (this "All" is not colored) except portion described above and south branch-Category 4. (This is the one I will comment on below)
Read on and find Little Wolf River (South Branch)-Category 3.( I would agree this is a trout stream.)

The Waupaca county specifics page is prefaced with all waters not listed category 2 yet they list the rest of the Little Wolf as Category 4(a more restrictive stream)

I would agree that it seems all indications are the colored streams are the ones that are restricted, but why then would they list a non colored stream with a category 4 listing? Seems like they would want to keep me out of this stream more than a category 2?

Thanks

Hey bgill, Thanks for your input. It's great to have people around that share the same interets that we can call on for help.

James Jay -

The WISCONSIN hunting/fishing/spearing & netting/boating regs. etc. are ALL confusing just a little bit. The DNR does'nt care if you are confused. They confiscate equipment and write sizable tickets to "confused" people everyday
If I was you - I would call your local warden & ask him. It's his JOB to know these things.
Agreed, this was more of an academic question/location. No serious spear fishing on my part is being done here.

But like I said before...I don't think you'll find many spearable species in MOST trout streams anyway...:duh
The stream/river I referenced in the examle isn't any hot spot for trout fishermen and is certainly not colored as such in the area that I was refering to. Like you said, mostly suckers. Not sure of the correct name for the sucker with all the camouflage. I've almost put my hand on them right before they scare the crap out of me. Lots of these. Also lots of sheepshead. First year out doing this so can't comment to much on blue gill quantities compared to other areas but most pan fish are here. Lots of ice fishermen set up close to this area.

I have seen some nice catfish, northerns, big & smallmouth bass too, but they are ALL ILLEGAL to spear anyways.:naughty
A friend that introduced me to spear fishing this year catches cray fish underwater by turning the rocks over slowly and trapping them under his hand. Then feeds the bass that he sees. I haven't quite got the hang of it like him but I'm picking it up.

I guess thats why they call'em TROUT STREAMS!
At least the yellow, green blue and red ones.:)
If you want people to get freaked out about spearing...Just run into a flyfishing "purest" on ANY stream while you have your speargun and gear on. You'll probably end up talking to the Sherrif, the DNR, Etc...Etc...And not get much spearing done besides.

We have LOTS of quality lakes that are perfectly legal to spearfish for certain species...I'd personally leave the "trout streams" to the fly-guys. Just my opinion though.
rofl My original thoughts before posting this question was how we talk about streams and rivers interchanging one for the other and wondering how the DNR classifies them. Just because a guy is fishing on a river/stream for trout doesn't make it a trout stream. I think you made that clear in your previous post.

P.S. The Waupaca area has ALOT of VERY clear lakes...Why are you looking at trout streams anyway? Like the Pickeral chain...Can't you spear there? Last time I was up there was last fall - I was fishing from a boat...The water was CRYSTAL clear! And we hammered 8-10" gills!!!! Yum!
Your not the first one who's wondered that. I like this particular river/stream (not a trout stream) not because it holds a bounty of fish to spear, as a matter of fact I rarly take my spear gun with me when I go here. I am so new at this that I like the 15 to 20 foot hole to practice in an observe the different species and there habits. No one seems to ever show up there so it's rather peacefull with just me and my son.

Find your way to S.E. Wisconsin in the spring with your spearing gear...I'll show you some local hotspots I spear at regularly. You'll soon forget all about those trout streams - If you have'nt already!!!

There are alot of restrictive laws regarding spearing in your county due to the STURGEON living in the areas waters. I don't make the laws..But I'm glad I live where I do!
Looking forward to it. I may not be able to keep up with you, as I said I am quite new at this.

I started out spearing spring staying under for only 30 seconds or so. Then I read about breathing techniques and increased my breath holds to close to 4 minuets. I found out soon that holdng my breath in my living room isn't anything like being in the water looking around for fish. Then I put a Scuba wet suit on last week and found it got even worse. Jon posted some info on open cell custom suits that are not at restrictive to holding your breath. Still haven't ordered one yet but need to. I'm practicing both disciplines but find that I need to just have fun and relax. Thanks for your generosity. Looking forward to spearing with you.

See ya

Just because they are not on the map doesnt mean there isnt any Trout in it. we are always seeking ways to increase better water quality which increases trout habitat.

btw as many of our British freinds here have already learned. A lot of our streams are limestone spring creeks. A very fragile resource. In the U.K. it is my understanding that even wading is "Extremely" limited As is the school of thought being to be pondered here as well.

Where are they back?:confused:

I took a run along the north shore on Monona today and it was green and wavy. I even stopped down by the outlet and there was nothing to see- neither vis or fish, and the pipe didn't seem to be on.

I had to drive all the way to Milwaukee last weekend to get any vis.

Ted has been planting some instruments in the bottom of local lakes for measurement purposes. He showed me the videos and there was no vis on the bottom of a few of them- just sucked the light from his flashlight right up. Devil's Lake was the worst below 30' and Fish lake seemed to be the best below that depth, but was still dark as hell. Mendota was pretty dark below 40', and smells like rotten eggs below 50'.

It will be another month before turnover, down here, and then we might be able to get in and spear something.

So where were you that you saw something Jim??

Jon

lol read on jon it was the post where i offered the idea of a salmon stamp for spearfishing :)

btw stopped by madison park yesterday the algea was floating 1\2" thick on top ewwwww!

Last edited:
Reactions: bgill
Hey!, I guess its been a long time since you heard from this string? :)
Any way I read the regs and am more confused then ever. I must admit I am potentially very excited about this area as I am land locked In Iowa, such a sad interesting hopefull story. Any way is there like a club for divers/speros?
Slimsteve
Poke it with a big stick

Reactions: bgill
There is a group of us that get together once a month and go spearfishing. I've kinda label'd us "Wisconsin Speargun Hunters" - We're open to who ever wants to go spearing. We also use this forum to post when and where someone is going out and is looking for a dive buddy for that day. The Regs are somewhat simple after translation. You can shoot Roughfish and Panfish. In most of the counties. The counties in Northern WI have stricter regulations- either no Spearfishing or something. But we mostly spearfising in Central and southEast Wisconsin.

We're not a Registered Club. Just a bunch of guys wanting to have fun Spearfishing. No one has to pay dues or anything.

If you ever feel up for the Drive- Just throw a post in here and I'm sure there would be someone that could meet up with you.

well thats sounds good and heck i would like to start up my own shop but you have to think if you get everyone and there dog involved with spearfishing in wisconsin then you will have to many and we would all be bumping heads while diving but i do like were you are coming from bgill it is something we would have to think about :friday

Well that is true now that you explaned it a better i see what your saying well i could do the whole shop thing yeah they might be spetton products :head but hey what can i say it all works the same even if i am the only one that likes it but i could start a shop if i had the place to do it and all my stuff would then come from spain or flordia. and the club would you do like per month dues or yearly dues? just some ??? i have

hey slim steve id love to have some1 close to me to go out once in a while with and nebraska is open to game fish from july1-dec31 only restriction is walleye have a bag limit of 2 rest is same as rod n' reel regs, and non gamefish yearround

hey there Aron
Well I'm glad to hear WI is progressive towards spearfishing. How do you do when you go out after dinner? Do you tend to have a lot of luck spearing for game fish? WI is still a long weekend trip and probably wouldn't happen this year as I still am working 2 more then part time jobs. Hoping to get a spearfishing/freedive club going through the local scuba shop as they do frequent quary dives but not able to hunt in them.
slimsteve

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT