• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wisconsin Spearo Equipment List

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Bigthreeforlife was wondering how you like that 3mil riffe cryptic camo open cell suit, and what size do you wear?

Its a super warm suit, but like all open cell suits it is fragile. I've never been cold in it, including a 4hr+ dive in ~50 degree lake michigan water. I wear the largest size they sell (not every store caries it). I don't have it in front of me. I'll be on the IL Wisc border every weekend from now until beginning of june, then random weekend days if you want to try it on.

Is that suit to warm when water temps are around 60 to 65?

Nope, its awesome for temps like that. It was a little warm when water temps were 70/80 in hawaii.

You should always error on the side of over lubing (when putting on a wetsuit)

Banks Board

A couple weeks ago I got a new piece of kit which has been a really nice improvement. It is the Banks Board. Till recently I used an inexpensive torpedo float on the inland lakes but after I went in Lake Michigan for the first time I thought an upgrade might be nice. Looked at the various floats out there and read a bunch of forums/reviews. Decided the Banks Board would be nice since it has been designed by spearfisherman and would allow me to keep my gear out of the water (less drag) and provide a stable swim platform.

IN THE WATER:
I've used it a few times on an inland lake and yesterday took it out to Lake Michigan. So far I would have to say it tows easier than my torpedo float (torpedo float had counterweight, dive bag, and stringer dragging in the water). The Banks board is shaped on the bottom with an almost fin like bulge up front which seems to allow it to track well in the water and allow for a low tow hook.
I got it to use for spearfishing but could probably work as a freediving float/line...one of the eyes on the bottom is in the center of the float and may work well for a down-line. For spearfishing, it has molded impressions on either side for securing spearguns. Works very well to put the gun in the impression and secure it with the attached bungee and hook. Also has a self-bailing compartment/detention which works well to keep large fish out of the water.
I have found the float to work well as a swim platform but even better as a rest (water break) platform. On Lake Michigan I had some long surface swims so I tried doing it a few different ways. I think the easiest/fastest is to secure your speargun on the float and pull it behind you. Using the float as a swim platform works very well with the internal shaping but seems to be slow and take more effort. A lot of the float becomes submerged when I swim on top but is very useful to do for navigation and to be seen by near boats.
Looks like the board is roto molded similar to a plastic kayak. As such is provides for an open space in the middle which was turned into a dry locker with an o-ring sealed cap. Stays almost completely dry inside...when I put my cell phone inside I also used a small dry bag and had some water on the outside of the dry bag.

ON LAND:
It is very easy for me to attach all my gear to the float for the walk to the water. Fins and mask get secured under the bungees very easily. And I simply use the built-in handle to carry it. There is an option to buy backpack style webbing or harness...I opted to make my own in case I ever have a long land hike. Used a long bungee and cheap carabiner...seems to work well.

DIVE FLAG:
Originally bought the dive flag and rod that is an accessory from freedivestore.com but the flag is small (not meeting WI legal limits) and the rod is simply a piece of fiberglass rod with a rubber tube on one end...not the best rod to attache a flag to. I ditched those two and made a new rod out of a fishing rod I found in the bottom of Big Cedar and used my large 16"x20" flag I had on my other float. Now very visible and could not be lighter weight.

Only other modification I have made is to add two small pieces of reflective tape to the front. Not sure if it will stay attached, as their is a significant texture to the outside of the board and it took a heat gun to get it to adhere well. If it stays, I'll add more on the sides...probably don't need to, as I have no plans to use it at night but sometimes plans do change.

Below are some pictures I took of my setup and a short video I took while on the water:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZpyPnUOvYI

Attachments

• BB BckPack Strap.jpg
    BB BckPack Strap.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 298
  • BB Bottom.jpg
    BB Bottom.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 283
  • BB Dry Comp.jpg
    BB Dry Comp.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 279
  • BB Top.jpg
    BB Top.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 294
  • BB Top2.jpg
    BB Top2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 270
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT