• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wishbones

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pinniped72

May 18, 2013
Just interested in what most people do for wishbones. I have dyneema loops in the rubber and then double sheet bend dyneema 1.4mm kite line for the actual wishbone. For my pole spear I use single speargun rubber and use dyneema loops again and then double sheet bend dyneema to attach it to the pole spear at one end and the webbing loop at the other. For the loops I use 2mm dyneema with a polyester outer. I have tried different setups but find that this works for me, what have you tried and what have you ended up with?

I use 3 mm dyneema, but my shafts have shark fins rather than notches. I suppose the 3 mm wouldn't fit in most notches.

I don't see any need to tie replaceable wishbones since the rubber wears out before the wishbone. I could probably get three bands out of a wishbone.

Attachments

• wishbonecolor.JPG
    wishbonecolor.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 127
I used to taper the bands and use heat shrink over the knots as shown above, but I don't think it really serves any function other than making them look pretty. Now I take the easy way out.

Attachments

• magnumbands.JPG
    magnumbands.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 132
Many thanks for the replies ;) I have found that the notched spears vary with their size, I recently got a new one with notches that seemed a fair bit smaller than my previous Omer spear and the 2mm dyneema just didn't sit right, hence the downsize to 1.4mm dyneema on that gun. Thanks again.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT