• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

withdrawal syndrome - do you get one?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Andrew the fish

Oct 17, 2010
I was not spearfishing for almost a month due to work schedule and location. All I can do is wait for better times and shop online for speargun parts, knives, travel bags etc. Sometimes I also see vivid dreams, yellow sandy shores, sun lit clear water and big fishes. And I also find that I enjoy coming here, though most of the time I have nothing to say, but I enjoy reading and giving my silly opinions. Basically all signs of withdrawal. I had it last winter too, it is re-occurring and predictable.

Reactions: SubSub and Mr. X
Climbing writer Al Alvarez, who died last week, used to describe a similar need to climb experienced by climbers as "feeding the rat". You probably need to feed your Spearfishing rat!

Reactions: Leander
Yes, I experience it too. I obsess about gear during the winter - see my 2 new threads on spearguns - but once I start spearing again, I just get on with it - my current gear is more than adequate.

Btw The season is not necessarily over yet. I've speared successfully in warm weather in the UK in early November.

Another similarity to real addiction is that diving empties one's bank account the more and "bigger" you do it.

Reactions: Mr. X
No need for pool sessions, they are fun but I find no time for pool these days. Used to be fun when kids were little. This thread was created in a moment of weakness, induced by work-related withdraw from spearfishing. I spearfish year around, less in winter of course. Water gets noticeable colder. Wouldn't be a stopper, but fish changes its habits and I am far less productive in winter.

I wouldn't say it was a moment of weakness Andrew as I would say that we all get the same feeling come the winter months. I get it but not just from Spearfishing. I get withdrawal symptoms from Sea Kayaking, from not being on the farm as much through the winter and not seeing the young Otters playing and calling with each other. From not watching in wonder how the Gannets dive at 60mph high from the skies into the shimmering blue clear water for a fish that is moving and yet they calculate that movement as they hit the water head first. But I don't have withdrawal symptoms from the bloody midges though lol. My wife calls it cabin fever I call it being bored as the days are shorter and the weather is poorer. So I engulf myself in other pass times particularly in the making of all the Galley and Viking kit for Up Helly Aah knowing that once the light festival is celebrated the days will get longer again and my outdoor passions can be resumed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT