• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

WK-Pool 2005 Switserland Renens Lausanne

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks Kars - it's great that u've posted ur questions & answers...I guess we are all wondering the same thing! It's going to be pretty different to Vancouver last year (last comp I did) & it's defnitely nice to be prepared...Suzy

SanSan said:
About the 8 lanes i also don't think its a good idea. We organised a competition this year and we set up 3 lanes. The 3 was also as close to the edge as possible. We had only one BO on the comp. and of course it was in the 3. lane. I can tell U it was realy hard for the safetys without any fix object to hold to... just imagine someone BO in the middle of the pool. How will U bring oxygen to the man quick or what if he doesn't start breathing on his own again? U'd have to pool him at least 25m in one directon if there isn't a high edge on the start of the lanes or U would have to pull him over 4 lanes :rcard . No way.
I agree. I don't like the idea of doing dynamic training, or spotting someone who is doing it, anywhere except near the side of the pool. This is something I am not likely to change, even if hardly anyone else feels the same way. I just don't feel at all confident that I could rescue someone quickly from the middle of the pool, and I also don't feel confident that I can make a clean recovery after a long dynamic while treading water in the deep end with nothing to hold onto.

I would not agree to do something which is likely to put myself or my buddy at risk.

Lucia

8 lanes for dynamic... pfff I've seen the result in Paris this year, as long as everybody surfaces okay no problem, but as soon as there is a problem! And now I'm not even speaking about disturbing other competitors during the rescue procedure of an BO athlete.

Considering the 8 lane safety and judging problems:
I would like to propose that the best 8 duke it out, following the order qualification ranking, in a single lane and one after another. The camera's could be all centred arround these top athletes, and the audiance on a big tribune will likely see a progressing style and distance with every dive.
A commentator can educate the audiance about style, the athletes, the difficulties etc. The Athlete has to deal with the pressure of being in the spotlight as the silence drawns in the moments before Official Top, like in golf. Have some signs bidding for silence, like used in Golf too :)

I also strongly suggest that the UW Video to be directly projected on a big screen for audiences and press to view. This would make a very nice show in the evening / at night, and after 19:00 there could be more public because less people have to work.
Also allowing for local television to televise the final's live.

This way the final's would also extend longer and work the way upwards to a really nice climax, much more value to the audiance, and much better to cover by the press.

I see also a nice interview afterwards, press conference with the top 3 and the most remarkeble performances in a studio, with a small analyse of the dive, etc, etc.

Appart from all these benefits, it's much safer and more fair judgement.

- Does the Deeperblue audiance like the single lane final proposal?

When there is support I will inform the orgasation of it.

Love, Peace and Water!

Kars

Last edited:
I belive its the single line is better. It could go also with 2 lines on both sides. I just belive 8 lines is too dangerous.

So u got my support Kars.

I made a poll on this matter. It is under Safety.

[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=62635"]Middle lane vs side lane for dynamics[/ame]

Lucia

Last edited:
Two lanes is also an oppertunity, the camera crew can shift between the two outer lanes with an official top every 4 minutes. The final will than take only 4x8 (+ 5 Tom Sietas' 4' swimming plus one minute jury checking:) )= 37 minutes.

It may be to late to change plans, and it's unlikely that it will be changed because off this tread. I hope they have found a solid solution to the Safety and Jury dificulties pointed out here. <let us hear!>
Still, this idea may be an elegant solution nice for future high profile and large competitions.
In my current view it's a way of educating the public and showing the beauty of a competition part of our sport. Freediving can use some more and diverse media and public attention, there is more than 'no-limits'.

The silence after my proposal is striking, are people afraid to get burned over this thought-potato ?

Love Peace and Water!

Kars

the prob with your idea, atleast in dynamics is that the competitors will know what distance they need to run to overcome their competitors, the divers who go last will have a sort of advantage.

Jep they do have, and therefor their starting position order would be dependent on the qualification order. Won the previous round? your the last one on the starting list in the final.
Just like speed Icescating, the best start last.

I hope to see you in Switserland,

Love, peace and water!

Kars

Last edited:
no way I'll be in switzerland, I'm just starting to train seriously to freedive, I've only trained for one and a half months... maybe next year you'll see me in the competitions.

:)

I also train for about 4 months now, and that with almost a month of pause in between.. So what.. if im gonna be last than so be it but im colecting experience and meeting lots of nice friends there... U shouldn't miss out on that.

That's indeed for me the best thing for participating, meeting people from all over the world. It's the olympic idea, of world wide friendship and understanding.

Don't be put off by the big numbers, watch enjoy and share stories. may you can view your attempt as a great oppertunity to do a max in a secure enviroment :)

Love Peace and Water!

Kars

I also have no money to pay for my air ticket... and to top it off I am currently enrolled in college taking 2 intensive courses therefore it's impossible for me to go to switzerland... I would love to but it's just impossible for me.

:'( I shall follow the action very closely though

well thats too bad... will send U some pics :) :) .

I had a training session with the girl swimming team today. U can imagine I mostly did statics on my back on the bottom :p . What a view.

Thats a candy from my last pool training session for quite some time now. All the pools in my town are closing. Can u imagine. What should i do? Any ideas? How should i train without watter?

The sucks, why are all the pools closing? you pee in all of them? rofl just kidding...

you can always do static tables and apneic stair climbing, running and walking... but that is not as good as actually doing dynamic.

Sure I pee in all of them.. Don't U :) :) .

About the pools... we have 2 outdoor pools but they are all full and I am not aloved to train in them with fins. And we have one indoor pool thats new and I realy like it... but they closed it yesterday for the summer, saying something that the watter has to rest :duh :duh . aaaaaaaaaaa. Im going crazy. Then there are some other pools but they are just like with thermal watter and all funny shapes filled with grandmas. :waterwork

Thermal water is great for static apnea... not too hot though but where I train the water is very chilly and that is baaaad

Hi dear friends,

As the Championship is getting nearer and nearer, I've asked some more intresting questions to the organisation eleborating on the Q&A I started here.

Q - Are the 'Selection heats' also 8 lanes at the time?
A - Selection heats will be with 4 competitions lines (1+2+7+8), and 4 warm-up lines in the middle (3+4+5+6)

Q - For me it's important to feel safe while doing a maximum performance, can you eleborate a bit on how is the safety is done in your 8 lane heat-system?
A - Exactly as usual, safety freediver in each line

Q - How do you incorporate the 45 minutes warmup-time in which the athlete is entitled to according the AIDA international regulation?
A - As usual.

Q - What kind of seperation-lines do you plan to use? Is it enough to hang on and keep my mouth above the water?
A - Normal plastic swimning competition anti-waves line, strong, so no problem to hang on.

I hope you find these questions and answers helpful and if anyone has some more information please share it here to.

Love, Peace and water!

Kars

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT