• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

WONG 42 & RIFFE REEL (NEW)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pocoshower

happy when diving
Nov 9, 2004
hi Guys

I just got a Wong Hybrid 42 (the Northeastern). It used to have a Riffe reel but It was sold before I buy the gun.

The guy who owned the gun made good job installing the reel, he make the tree holes in the wood and install stainless steel inserts.

So I think that it´s better to get the same reel cause the instalation is almost done, but have a couple of questions:

will the gun (without the shaft) still positive with the reel weigth?

is there another kind of reel that can be installed with the same system?

cheers

Last edited:
Que onda bato! Where is your location? May be we can hunt toghether sometime. I´m in La Paz.

About the reel thing, Call Daryl himself for advice. He Mounts a Delrin base for an Omer 80 or 100 depending of the gun. He is the one to tell you best what do you need to rig your gun.

Regards

Aloha Pocoshower,

Congratulations on your new gun. The northeaster will float with a reel on it. I don't know about the bigger Riffe reel. I would recommned a Omer 50 reel for the gun. It will also need a specially milled delrin bracket to avoid any screws going into the titanium tube in the stock. Here is a picture of the bracket. I don't know of any other manufacturer that has a bracket that enables you to mount the reel like this. If you have nay questions email me at www.wongspearguns.com

Aloha, Daryl

Last edited:
seaman said:
Que onda bato! Where is your location? May be we can hunt toghether sometime. I´m in La Paz.

About the reel thing, Call Daryl himself for advice. He Mounts a Delrin base for an Omer 80 or 100 depending of the gun. He is the one to tell you best what do you need to rig your gun.

Regards

Que onda, I'm in Cachana. I just PM you. Sure we can go for some pargos or so.

Salud

Daryl Wong said:
Aloha Pocoshower,

Congratulations on your new gun. The northeaster will float with a reel on it. I don't know about the bigger Riffe reel. I would recommned a Omer 50 reel for the

Aloha, Daryl
Thanks Daryl,

do you know the weigth of the Omer 50?

because the gun already has the holes and the inserts for a Riffe reel, I'll post a picture later.

Thanks again

Aloha Carlos,

I don't know the exact weight of the Omer 50 reel, but it is substanially less in weight than a Riffe reel. I have done Riffe reels on other gun and it is very heavy. I think the 42in Northeaster will be raght at the edge of bouyancy. It may just sink or just barely float.

Aloha, Daryl

Daryl Wong said:
Aloha Carlos,

Aloha, Daryl
Gracias Daryl

Thanks for the advice.

I saw at other thread that the Riffe reel is 8.5 oz vs 5.8 oz of the RA 50 reel.

Salud

seaman said:
Pocoshower I told you he is the man!! Awesome customer service!! you will be with that back up the rest or your fishing life for sure .. give me a p.m to make contact ok
I did send you a PM this morning. Saludos

Congrats on getting what is probably one of the best all round small guns out there.

The 42 will sink with a OMER Pelagic and as such will certainly sink with the Riffe reel. Send the centavos to Daryl or Rick for the delrin mount, fill the holes from the installed inserts you have with epoxy and mount the new nuts from Daryl and be on your happy way. Better yet, and sorry Daryl, but send Daryl the gun and get it done right.

Smooth. :cool:

icarus pacific said:
Congrats on getting what is probably one of the best all round small guns out there.

The 42 will sink with a OMER Pelagic and as such will certainly sink with the Riffe reel. Send the centavos to Daryl or Rick for the delrin mount, fill the holes from the installed inserts you have with epoxy and mount the new nuts from Daryl and be on your happy way. Better yet, and sorry Daryl, but send Daryl the gun and get it done right.

Smooth. :cool:
Thanks a lot Sven, and yes, the gun is just great.

I think I'll follow your advice. I'll look for the delrin mount with Daryl and fill the old holes with epoxy.

Thanks to all of you guys

Carlos... its me again.. dude where do u buy those huge and awesome guns? I only buy JBLs..

c ya
(plz, answer me!!)

Panadero, I know what you mean man, in La Paz you just can get Jbls, No Rob Allens, no nothing. Do no more guessin´and Call Daryl Wong, contact him at:

www.wongspearguns.com

And you will get undoubtely the right gun for you and a true friend.

You will end up with a ´wongderful´piece of equipment.

Seaman.. u and pocoshower live in baja!!! another HUGE deal I have is that all my friends are not that... skilled...

why dont we organize a trip to go spearfish?

Im a marine biology student, at UABCS (in La Paz)
lets go and catch some huge bastards!!!

=)
let me know, plz...
C ya!!!
:cool:

Panadero said:
Carlos... its me again.. dude where do u buy those huge and awesome guns? I only buy JBLs..

c ya
(plz, answer me!!)
Hey Pan

Don't worry. JBL are not bad. I have two that i can sell to you rofl rofl (That is for calling me wei, hahahaha.) They are great for pargos inside caves.

Here at the forums are a lot of info about guns. You can find more to read at other spearfishing sites.

I found my gun (second hand, used for one season) in a "for sale" thread at other forum, and my lovely wife buy it and give it to me for a Bday gift.

Send me a privite message and let start talking in cristiano,

Salud

What a coincidence my friend, I am with the academic staff of UABCS , in the AICSyH, i will send you a PM

Reactions: Alison
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT