• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wong Railgun or RA

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

RA OR WONG

• Total voters

Cobra88

Mar 31, 2005
I was lookin at a 120 wong railgun or RA just wondering which would be better because I never have actually seen one of the wong rail guns.

They are both good guns. The Wong (Aimrite) uses the same trigger mechanism used in their tuna guns, which is probably overkill, but the gun is warranted for life.

I can offer a rather extreme personal example of testing the warranty. I hang my guns on clip lines over the side of the boat so that I don't have to crawl over the swim step with a gun in my hand, then pull the gun in after I get into the boat. One time I forgot to pull a couple of guns in when we got under way to pull the anchor, and my Wong gun went through the props until the rubber wrapped up and stalled the engine. The muzzle was pulled off the gun and the shaft was yanked out of the mechanism, destroying it.

I told Daryl and Rick what happened and ordered a new mechanism, fully expecting to pay for it. I was told that it was warranted, period, and I got a new one free. They just asked me to mail the old one back so they could see how it failed.

My buddy's Riffe was damaged too, but it was not covered by the warranty.

I have a bias for Wong/Aimrite guns. I own four of them and just lost the fifth a month ago. I'll probably get one to replace it.

I'm not sure Wong/Aimrite has a 120cm gun. I think they go from a 110cm to 125cm, but I could be wrong.

I used a friends RA for over a year before deciding I should get my own. I liked it very much and was just looking for the best prices for RAs when Daryl (replying by email to another question) mentioned about their new alum. railguns.

Like Bill, I'm biased as well but at the time I only had one Wong gun. I got the 110cm Wong/Aimrite railgun for these reasons:

-Same trigger mech as their tuna guns
-Lifetime warranty
-shoots a sharkfin tap shaft
-cost less than a similar sized RA
-I got the cool "acid washed" pattern on the barrel (if I scratched it on a reef, it wouldn't show)

I've been very happy with it.

Nate in S.D

they will both kill. Just pick one and go hunting:)

Spinal Tap said:
I'm not sure Wong/Aimrite has a 120cm gun. I think they go from a 110cm to 125cm, but I could be wrong.

-Same trigger mech as their tuna guns
-Lifetime warranty
-shoots a sharkfin type shaft
-cost less than a similar sized RA
-I got the cool "acid washed" pattern on the barrel (if I scratched it on a reef, it wouldn't show)

I've been very happy with it.

Nate in S.D

It appears you are right about the lengths. I just tried to check the web site, but it seems to be screwed up. When I clicked on the rail gun link, the reef guns opened. However, I have a printout from the rail gun page, and in fact they do jump from 110 to 125.

Until I read your list, I had not thought about the shaft differences, but I concur. The shark fins are preferable to these slots in the shaft, and they permit the shooting line to be attached on a shark fin rather than a hole in the rear end of the shaft where it gets stuck back into the mechanism.

Hiya

The shark fins are preferable to these slots in the shaft, and they permit the shooting line to be attached on a shark fin rather than a hole in the rear end of the shaft where it gets stuck back into the mechanism.
I also prefer the line to be attached to the fin. The only gripe i have is that when you're shooting schooling fish, the removal of those spears are a NIGHTMARE!!!! What i normally do is shoot a fish, then pass the gun to the boat boy and then grab another gun. Where-as with a normal spear, with the line attached to the rear, i can QUICKLY remove the spear, throw fish into the boat AND reload, hopefully getting a second chance at the same school!!

Regards
miles

Miles,

I'm not sure I understand about removing the shaft. If you are trying to pull it back out, then its the barb or slip tip that is the problem, so I'm guessing that you are talking about pushing the shaft on through in the same direction in which it entered. That is the way I do it, and I haven't noticed any problem pushing the shark fins through.

But of course I'm usually doing it in the boat, and even if I'm doing it in the water, I'm in no big hurry because I'm still taking the fish back to the boat before I shoot another one. Maybe if I were trying to reload fast for schooling fish I would notice the difference.

Bill,

It could be that Miles can actually get so close to the fish where his shaft goes through the fish entirely (lining the fish), and he has to pull the shaft out backwards. Unfortunately, you and I haven't had that problem.

So if that were the case, I can see how difficult that would be with sharkfins. What I do in that situation is detach the shooting line from the reel or float line and pull the shaft and shooting line through the fish.

Nate in SD

Spinal Tap said:
Bill,

It could be that Miles can actually get so close to the fish where his shaft goes through the fish entirely (lining the fish), and he has to pull the shaft out backwards. Unfortunately, you and I haven't had that problem.

So if that were the case, I can see how difficult that would be with sharkfins. What I do in that situation is detach the shooting line from the reel or float line and pull the shaft and shooting line through the fish.

Nate in SD

Good point.

I also detach the shooting line and pull the shaft and line through, whether or not I strung the fish on the line. But that technique would seem to take more time than he wants to take with a school of fish.

Spinal Tap said:

Nate in SD

its fairly easy and quick to just remove the shaft through the fish, with the sharkfins and all. I do it all the time, and it doesnt do too much damage to the meat. when the the fish is on the shaft, its easier to control by pinning it against the shaft and dispatching it, rather than fighting it while on your shooting line.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT