• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

wood choice

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

doyenofcastle

Oct 30, 2012
I have work with different of woods building few guns ,I think if someone still new and want to start building conclusions without much details below as everyone said in other posts :
teak is best but gluing is a challenge
the African teak (Afrormosia) but smell is challenge (urine dirty smell when machining)
padauk is good choice challenge in dense and heavy
brazilian rosewood challenge in dense and heavy
south america mahogany challenge in high buoyancy
African mahogany challenge in high buoyancy
Black Cherry challenge in high buoyancy
iroko challenge in wrap easily if small thickness
oak challenge in smell , dense and tear out easily by hand tools

other woods either don't have good rot resistance , attack easily by insect or tea rout and blunt tools easily
If there a mistake above I 'l be happy to listen and learn from you guys
wood.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rock Shooter
Pine
Chips easy ( hard to machine delicate bits)
Takes in a lot of water
But smells nice :ROFLMAO:

I once tried making a very simple 'speargun' (I say that very lightly) using pine... It didn't work out so well..
make some research on:
Black Walnut
Merbau
Spanish Cedar
Cedar of Lebanon
Port Orford Cedar
Sapele

Last edited:
Hi there, very interesting stats. I made my first woody with Rhodesian teak, might be the same than Afrormosia.

It’s got a lot of SS components on it and just not buoyancy enough to flout without the spear.

And my lattés one even got more stainless parts, reel and all.

Thinking of installing aluminum square tubing in the next one, blocking the ends with plugs.

Got some Mahogany as well…thought of doing same, purely because of all the SS parts.

Wonder how many of all those nice looking guns actually do flout.

after all of my research I went to the market near me ,nothing of that there :cool:,only teak $$$ ,dabema ,mahogany african ,so your research should be connected to availability in your market but as a general rule choose the stable wood with durable character and medium density

Ok..Checked the specific gravity of the wood I used (Rhodesian Teak).

It is much higher than the average hard wood…..73.89, but very durable.

So I assume that must be the reason for the poor bouncy.

That makes me think twice about putting the aluminum blank in the Mahogany gun.

Will probably only install them in the Teak guns….it’s not the same wood than

Afrormosia.

I have built a few guns out of makore. It fits all the parameters needed for speargun stock. Plus it is readily available and very reasonably priced. This is the best web page for wood information.
http://www.wood-database.com/teak/
CAN YOU SHARE SOME PHOTOS FOR THE GUN YOU MADE ?HOW ABOUT BUOYANCY ?FOR ME I BUILT IN LAST YEAR MORE GUNS AND FOUND OUT BEST WOODS ARE TEAK,PADOUK,IROKO OTHER WOODS WON'T TAKE THE SEAWATER SERVICES AS THESE THREE .

The first picture is of a gun which has been in use for a year. The last photo in the series is of two guns; which the left one has be used for a year and the right one which as not been in the water.
As far as buoyancy, these guns which I have made required not ballast and that maybe just luck. On my first edition the stock was a 1.8 inches square and it needed some ballast so with these I shaped them a bit we wood is holding up. These guns have not seen 10 years of use but I am very pleased with the way the wood is holding up thus far.

COOL ,OIL ONLY? NOT LAMINATED ALSO !MAY I ASKED WHY NO ONE TALK ABOUT MAKORE? ITS THE BEST ALTERNATIVE TO TEAK !!

The guns have been oiled, ting oil. One or two coats, I can remember. I did laminate the stock. It was my first experiences with epoxy and I didn't apply pressures evenly with the clamps. The glue joints didn't come out evenly and the stick needed to be subsequently jointed or straightened.
It is a good question as to why it is not used for speargun stocks. The tree grow a five foot diameter trunk and produces a lot of good straight lumber. I happened to purchase a couple of slabs a bunch of years ago for a hobby. They sat around for many years. I finally found a good use for them.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT