• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wooden gun - design question

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

eshowe_boy

Dec 19, 2002
Does anyone have any design experience with anything other than teak? I have read that Mahogany works but you need to add more ballast, which can't be a bad thing. Any domestic (USA), none tropical hardwoods work by any chance. I am going to add a 20mm 3/4 inch Delrin rod with a machined enclosed track, which will help to dramatically reduce any chance of warping over time.

I have access to most hardwoods for next to nothing EXECPT teak.

Any thoughts.
:hmm

Reactions: icarus pacific
Yep, like I said. :king
There was a guy down your way that was making and selling his guns on ebay a while back and we were going back and forth on some things and he was using Koa which is a cousin of Teak as well as some stuff from down in So America that looked more like Ash than anything else.

I've seen and held barrels made of Koa and it's pretty stuff, but you're going to play Hell trying to find some with a straight and clear grain that won't twist all over Hell and breakfast once it gets wet. Looks good on the wall though... :duh

Mahogany is pretty easy to find with clear and straight grain, but the stuff absorbs water to the point that it relies too much on the epoxy coating for me to give it mad props. It looks nice and all, but no thanks. AB Biller and JBL Woodies are made of Mahogany.

Yes, teak is pricey. It's the primary reason that Jay came out with the MetalTech series of guns, the stuff just doesn't grow on trees, if ya get my meaning. But once you score some and do all the stuff involved with grading it, cutting aneasoning it, laminating and the machining, you'll understand that after all is said and done, the fish is on the coals and that bad thing is leaning in the corner, all other woods are teak's bitch. Nuff said.

sven

I have made a gun from Artic beech and it is working well for me
still straight and good neutral bouyancy with shaft in floats after firing

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…