• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wooden gun discussion kick off (and pneumatic too)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

portinfer

Aquatic shopper...
Jul 3, 2003
Hello everyone
Happy New Year and hope you catch many fish in 2005.

It's that time of year again when I start to dream of new gear and I thought it would be useful to start a discussion on the merits of certain spearguns.

So here goes:

I was wondering if anyone could write a review of the following guns:

1 - Totemsub Guizzo 80
2 - Totemsub Pelagos 90
3 - Giman Labrax 80 / 90
4 - Giman Dentex 90 / 100
5 - Dapiran Medijedi 90
6 - Dapiran Jedi 86 / 96
7 - Abellan Robalo 96

Basically I was trawling the net for info on wooden guns. I currently use a Totemsub Pelagos 100 and like it very much, but was thinking that it would be nice and a pure extravagance to buy some more guns - yes, I know I don't need another one but would like to try a smaller gun.

In particular from the list I would be grateful for anyone's impressions of the Guizzo, the Medijedi and the Dentex 90. These guns seem very nice.

My Italian is pretty poor but I am slowly wading through the information on Dapiran's site about the Medijedi - it looks very nice.

Also I was wondering if someone could write a small review on pneumatic gins such as the pros and cons of a Maorisub Mamba (the smaller size in particular - the 90). Is there much difference between the Mamba 90 and a normal Seac Asso 90 ?

Just very interested in starting such a discussion so if you use or have used any of these guns I would be really grateful in what you thought of them and how they handled and all the details to do with the best conditions for them or the species that they were designed to hunt.

Many thanks- Ed

i think guizzo 80 will be good company to your pelagos 100.

By the way if you want to buy something else instead pelagos, i can gladly take it from your hand for fair price :)

Hi Murat
I think that I will keep the Pelagos ! It is very very nice - good balance in the water and extremely accurate. The handling is superb - but as I have only tried aluminum ones before I couldn't compare it to other wooden guns. The range is impressive too - and like others have mentioned the shaft flies straight and true - no drop off. Combination of the 20mm bands and the rail design maybe ?

Murat - you use wooden ones too don't you ? What do you use and can you give a brief review of it/them ?

I think that the Pelagos 100 is good but I noticed that over the summer there were occasions when a shorter gun would have been good. The Pelagos is not so good to handle in the strong currents that we have here in Guernsey and I suspect that an 80cm would have been better.

I am almost tempted to say that with the currents and with the close range that you get with aspetto for bass you only need a short light gun.

I asked about the Guizzo a while back but Shane thought that no one would have bought it by then - this is about 6 months ago and I was wondering if anyone has it yet and what they think about it ?

Like I say I am swaying towards the "smallest-lightest" gun I can get away with - this makes sense when you consider that the fish are a max of 10 pounds and at most about 3m away and the currents negate the benefits of a longer/heavier gun. So maybe someone wants to donate a Guizzo to my testing fund so I can prove this little theory ?!

Cheers Ed (currently at work :( but it is good work :) )

i missed that one sorry :)

Well i am using wooden gun, good one hehee rofl

I posted about it somewhere dude, you may like to see my poor photographing technique rofl

10 pound fish, 3 meter away :hmm You may need little more that guizzo. For that circumstances i will gladly use my 110cm gun. Actually bigger gun is harder to swing but don't forget, they are more steady too :) How much you need to move the gun anyway??

I am planing to have few gun (one is definatelly Guizzo) from Fabrizio or from Dapiran but i am not able to keep STEADY contact with Fabrizio...

Murat,
Don't worry-I think Fabrizio is off hunting most of the time. I have been trying to get some shafts and another (3rd) gun for 3 months now. Called many times (not inexpensive from Qatar!) and countless emails. He was and is still having email problems though I think. We are/were still trying to get his new tuna gun here... We spoke to him just before Christmas and he was re-dong it. He wasn't quite satisfied with balance and weight stats... He expected to finish the new design a few weeks back but I am still trying contact.

...here we hunt everything with a 120 or larger even with the bad viz since there is mostly sandy bottom (nothing gets in the way) or no bottom. Of course if I was home, I would have to deal with the kelp forests!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT