• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wooden Guns and Railguns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JimmyB

Nov 1, 2004
Im quite new to the concept of spearfishing and here in Malta, although there are many that spearfish, its not a hobby/sport which a lot of people are growing into...Therefore there are not may places you can go for advice.

Since im only beginning im looking at reef diving for the time being but will have acceess to blue water also (althogh not as often). Im basically looking to make my own wooden gun...something not too long say 75cm or 90cm for the time being. But im having difficulty in designing anything...do plans for guns exist at all?? Also im eager to learn about ballasting...what are the best methods...i.e. and adjustable ballast like on the sporasub black viper or a fixed ballast? how do you know if you have too much or less than needed??

Also im thinking about railguns and whether it would be worth implementing a rail in the wooden gun...also with regards to Railguns like the RA variety, do they have an enclosed track over the whole shaft or just part of the shaft with a rail under the shaft??

Thanks in advance for all your help...I know i may be asking too much but im eager to learn and id much rather make something with my own hands and hunt with it.....something to do with the inner primal mentality of putting food on the table with your own tools hehehe

But seriously i think its a step in the right direction of getting a better understanding of how things work and improving your technique based on these new found knowledge.

In case there are people with the same or other ideas that wish to contact me by e-mail....please e-mail me at jbondin@crimsonwing.com

Thanks in advance
Regards
James B

James
If you do a search in this section (hunting) you will find lots and lots of discussion on making your own wooden gun.
You sound like you really need 2 guns, a 90cm woodie won't really be suitable for bluewater but would suit reef work fine.
RA railguns are basically an uprated Eurogun the barrel has a thin rail with a slightly concave section that the spears sits on.
Enclosed track wooden guns are different and require much more accurate machining to be effective.
Some of the good makers kitto etc put delrin tracks in to the gun which is another subject.
here is a link to a makers site which may help.http://spearguns.netfirms.com/
good luck

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT