• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wooden spearguns?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kiwi_fish

Apr 11, 2006
Hi all,
I'm just looking at upgrading to a bigger gun and was wondering peoples thoughts on Woodies. Havent used one yet myself so any comments would be great.

Cheers in advance.

Kiwifish

Wood is used in larger guns mainly because you need more mass. Larger guns with more and thicker bands cause heavy recoil. To counteract this you need a gun with more mass (Newtons law). Wood also is easy to shape although not to mass produce. Hence wood guns are either home made or expensive. They tend to look nice but remember they are really only a tool. Some people are obsessed by them to the extent that they are a clique but it is true that for big/multi band guns wood is the main material in use.

For mid powered guns your other option is to join the dark side. Maori mamba pneumatics, but thats a whole other ball game.

Some reading on my involvement with wooden guns.

[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=66796"]Euro-Hybrid R&D Project[/ame]

[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=63452"]Teak 80 - Part one: The stock[/ame]

Dave

Last edited:
For distance shots wood is great!
Get a 110-120 woodie and those dentexes or groupers that stay 4-5m away will be coming with you on the surface. :D
+:
great mass but not heavy in the water, so less recoil and greater accuracy for long shots
you can load it with lots of bands without needing a orthopedian after fishing ;)
some of them have great shape which allows easy horizontal movement

-:
price
you have to be very carfull with it, cause its a "living" thing.....it can bend, get scratched et. so carefull with sun, salt, rocks.

I ve tried various wooden SGs, my choice right now is a Dapiran SuperJedi 106:

http://shop.dapiran.it/Article.aspx?cid=ARB&id=SUPER

i would also suggest the Abellan Denton 106,
Cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT