• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Woody or Alu gun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DANger-is

Apr 21, 2011
I'm about to start making a woody for my first gun. it'll have a 1 meter enclosed track with a 7mm 1.4 meter spear. I'm planning on loading it up with 2 x 18mm slings. Total cost will be about $250-$300.

Just wondering what people prefer - a gun like the Caymer or Cressi Mohawk or a custom homemade gun like the one I've described.

Keen to hear your thoughts.

This is not an easy question to answer, you can successfully shoot & cleanly kill fish with a pole spear that cost very little but requires a lot of skill to use.

Commercially made guns from reputable company's will do the same job but require less skill as you dont need to get so close to the fish.

However a custom made, high mass enclosed track gun is like a sniper tool - perfectly balanced, accurate, long range but slightly ungainly compared to a lightweight cylindrical alloy gun.

Hardly any spearos I know own one gun! most have at least two & many own 5 or more.

I build guns because I enjoy building them, I own stupid amounts of guns but for 90% of the time I use a 90cm dry barrel airgun because that is the gun that suits my style of hunting.

If you intend to do any blue water hunting for big pelagics then build a gun to match your targets, if you are going to hunt shallow water reef fish then a single band 100 will be fine if you want something in between then build it to suit.

You can build a woody for a lot less money if you really wanted too.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT