• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

World championship Chile

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hey Murat:
Alberto March wasn't in the spanish team cause he didn't classified for the team....Cesar Quevedo was out too.

Cheers

Roberto

I've been to Chile for the championship. I didn't compete (reserve) but I did dive all the days for scouting. Water was very murky, max visibility 3-3,5 meters, usually 2.
Temeprature 13-17C. Lots of (giant) jellyfish, big waves, big seaweed, lots of fish. Unfortunately most fish were less than one kilo...

Our team got 10th place. I got to meet lots of people, the denmark and us teams among them. I exchanged t-shirts with a us team guy named Glen. The shirt was very nice, although it depicted a spearo holding a pejeperro (not valid in the competition!!).

Kostas Giannoulis
Patras, Greece

Kostas,

Team USA made up those shirts before Chile decided to pull CA Sheepshead off the list of eligible fish.

Scott

Sturgeon,
The women's team still has plenty of shirts for sale from the World Championships with a pretty cool design. We will be awaiting your order.
Chauggie

Attachments

• t shirt design 2004 002 (2).jpg
    t shirt design 2004 002 (2).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 142
Chauggie,

Kim said she'll take one so please send down a medium. I have way too many spearfishing related shirts myself though so I'll pass on one but I'd participate in the raffle if it's not too late.

I almost forgot, I've seen how Team USA men did but how did the ladies make out?

Scott

Last edited:
Hey! that's a hot t-shirt! We bought some and strangely enough only my guy friends liked the design ;)

Chauggie, Johan and Kostas. Thanks for filling us in - nice to have real participants who went to Chile mixed in with all our specualtion and gossip from the sidelines :)

These conditions obviously favored our team since all three of them are great "brown water hunters". They're from Northern California where big swells and less than ideal conditions are fairly normal. I think it was as good of a US team as we could have put together for this meet and it didn't hurt having Rene Rojas originally from Chile as the captain.

Ivan, enjoyed reading your summary. The French were defintely missing two of their big guns, one of which is Oliver Bourdeaux (Cressi) whose an ace and their biggest asset for years. It obviously hurt them not having them. I once got a chance to dive with one of the top ten French team divers, Joseba Carretera when I was visiting my buddy in Panama. He wasn't even one of the top three of the team, he was sponsored by Spora at the time and then went to Cressi where is now I think. Well to make a long story short this guy was in Panama on a sebatical from the fire department spearing around the world selling his fish to pay his way. Let's just say he made me look bad when he went down into a cave at 40 meters with a little 90cm Sporasub viper and a 6.5mm shaft and simultanouely inserting light/gun and body into the cave would come out of their with a stoned 60lb cerna (grouper). Never seen anything quite like it, the Panamanian Indians are amazing spearos in their own right and he would out dive them too.

Ivan the word in Italy is that Bellani deserved the win. After a 20+ year career in competitive spearfishing he went from being on top through a bad lull several years ago and in recent years he won the last European championship, The Italian National Championship and finally this year he took the worlds. This was obviously no fluke and the world title or top three in a world meet has always eluded him. DeSilvestri was really strong but I always question why the Italian team Captain, who for the first time in many years the fans like now, would always leave Nicola Riolo sitting on the bench at home when he obviously has the necessary qualifications with mutliple Italian National wins through the years. Lastly, some might find it interesting to know that Stefano Bellani's nickname in Italy is "Signore degl'Abissi" for his amazing talent of stalking dentex and other open water fish in very deep water.

Scott-you got your work cut out for you! I would be curious to know what the rumors are of venue location for the next world meet?

Clear waters, Mark

Mark,
The only rumor I heard about the venue was your post, mentioning Florida in a conversation with Bill Ernst. That would get Scott studying Carp pretty quick.
I must have heard 20 times from Chileans and others that the next women's Championships should be in the USA.
Chauggie

Attachments

• Iquique - Chile 2004 001.jpg
    Iquique - Chile 2004 001.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 145
Hi Chauggie, nice to hear from a lady member of the USA team. By process of elimination I know you are not Brandi Easter or Bonnie Row therefore you are either Anne Dougherty or Granis Stewart?

Yes, Bill is intent on having the women's worlds’ debut in Rhode Island two years from now. I hope you get lots of foreign ladies teams to come. If it turns out to be successful it might set a good precedent for hosting the men’s worlds here in the US one day. I agree with you wholeheartedly, Scott you're going to know carp better than you ever wanted to by this time next year rofl Maybe that's why Nationals in odd venues never appealed to my senses, Table Rock Missouri...hmm... Have a good weekend guys and gals.

Wishbone said:
As far as I know, there was a WC held in Peru just few miles from Iquique where the conditions are more or less identical. Here's a fact: This particular championship in Peru was one of the most controversial and was shadowed by political issues. Several teams (Bulgaria included, btw) boycotted the event because of the decision of the organizers to allow South Arfrica to participate. The reason for the boycott was the Apatheid.
What year did this occur? Must have been awhile back, since apartheid is long dead.

Hi Roan... It's the one in 1975, and not the recent one in 94, of course.
One way or another, the Peruvians have only one medal from World Championships - the bronze one won by Barchi during the WC in Chile in 1971, so their performance was more or less predictable...

Mark, are you sure you not talking about Joseba Kerejeta? Cuz he's Spanish - but you're lucky if you had the chance to dive with him. He's one of the top there.
As for Bellani - man he does desreve that title! And it's obvious now that the Master of the abyss can kick arse in the shallows too... I hear noone in Chile went for the deep...
I can only speculate about Bora's decision to leave Nicola Riolo home... Maybe the reason is that his quite unpredicatable performance. I guess MaxFox will give us the answer.

Cheers!

Hey Whisbone:
I wouldn't say that the peruvian performance was predictable, cause if we talk about predictions, the spanish team would be the champs, or Vina or Carbonell, the big favourites. It simply happened that they had a bad champ, and they were pissed off cause the first day there was a delay of more than 2 hours to start the competition, cause 5 teams (among the peruvian team) couldn't board the boats....there were not enough boats commisaries (refferees). So even if the whole comp started with a delay, they had frictions on the deck with the organizers.

That's fishing, one day is yours, another one is mine!

Cheers,

Roberto

Hey Roberto,

You're absolutely right and I stand corrected. When I said predictable, I ment it only from a statistical point of view. As I said in one of my previous posts, I am actually surprised by the poor performance of the Peruvians. And you gave me some actual reasons for that.
Sorry if I wasn't absolutely clear. I wouldn't underestimate the performance of any of the teams!

Does any of you know how much time the top teams devoted to scouting? When did the Spaniards and the Italians arrive in Chile? It's interresting, because one of the main issues for me is that the general case is that the local Federations cannot afford to send the national team on location a month before the start. Our federation is one of those. The usual case is - our guys arrive and have not more than 1-2 days for scouting. You can't even learn how to distinguish the valid from the non-valid species for that time...
The "rich" federations spend a lot in order to get the advantage of knowing the zone like their own living room. This includes use of GPS for pinpointing spots and stuff like that...

Cheers!

what you say is not fair ivan, i hope they make some rules against the this situation. I also think that competions should held in waters of not competing countries....

It's ok Wishbone, we all are spearos and know that winning or loosing and fishing or not fishing is part of the game.
From what I know, the italians spent 2 months in Iquique and Carbonell 1 month. It is true that the organized/wealthy federations plan the champioships very well, and once again in this case it was rewarding for the italians!

Cheers,

Roberto

italians where there one month last year, one in sep and one up to the comp. They had hired the local camp from Iquique and had three zodiacs shipped for the scouting from italia... Thay where good but they would not have done so well with three days... Again we where there 3 weeks and did not do so well. We even did not know that there where sargos in the 1 kilo range. Quite a surprise, hmm no fish in the white water and then comp.... Loooots of white water fish

A good wc would be in norway, no cave fishing only pelagic and freeswimming fishes

johan denmark

Hey Johan:
The sargos are always in the white waters, you just have to find the right places where they are, and that fishing is very nice...dangerous but nice! Its all about technique to see and hunt them....the rest is having at least a good gap between series of waves to go to the white waters.
Saludos,

Roberto

Murat,

I think it's impossible to have such rules for few very imple reasons:
1. The organization of such event is very expensive - there were 96 boats for the competitors in Chile, you muct also arrange food and lodging, pay for the actual organizational items (hall, cups, judges' fees, stuards and stuff). Now imagine what amount we're talking about. Since Spearfishing is not a very popular sport (no TV rights, tickets and stuff to sell), there is no return for the spendings. Only relatively wealthy Federations can apply to be organizers. Usually, these Federations also send the best teams. In such cases the "home turf" advantage is the bonus they receive for spending so much money.
2. You cannot ban the scouting to the competitors except for 1-2 days before the competition cause this would even increase the home advantage of the hosting federation's team.

Now I totally agree with the ideas given for the US and Norway to host the next championship. Both Federations have the financial capabilities to organize a great championship. I don't know whether in the US such competition won't create problems with the enviromentalists. As for Norway, the Kristiansund Cup proves to be a great event with LOTS of catch. But it's not really unfamiliar for the big federations. France participate in the event often, I know. I think Sylvain Pioch and Didier Desprat (I think he's retired now, but will be a great captain) have both won the evnt. And this year it was all Spain and Finland. The abovementioned Joseba Kerejeta got the individual and the spaniards also won the teams cup. This means that the local conditions (including the relatively cold water even in the summer) will be a problem for all American teams, and also for the ones from Africa and Asia.

Cheers!

than money talks not skills :hmm Not a very good way to determine world champs...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT