• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

World championship Chile

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Wishbone said:
Mark, are you sure you not talking about Joseba Kerejeta? Cuz he's Spanish - but you're lucky if you had the chance to dive with him. I can only speculate about Bora's decision to leave Nicola Riolo home... Maybe the reason is that his quite unpredicatable performance. I guess MaxFox will give us the answer.

Cheers!
Hi Ivan, yes you're right I was confused thinking about the french in my last post. He spoke nothing but spanish :) Joseba was in Panama and stayed with two friends of mine that live there, one is Marcelo Cornejo whose pictures I've posted on this website before, and the other now lives in the States. Joseba left a copy of a Spanish hunting and fishing magazine he had written an article for and there was some awesome pictures of diving and fishing in Colombia. He speared a jewfish (now known as goliath grouper) that was so big that was incredible 700-900lbs and gave it to the Indios. The picture showed the fish hanging next to a bamboo hut with the indians surrounding it :) His stories about Colombia mesmerized me most, but this gringo has no place trying to go spearfishing in Colombia any time soon I'm afraid :ban He had a picture with a panga filled to the rim with pargo,wahoo and other fish he speared, one of those things you don't forget seeing. Anyhow poor guy got his Nikonos V stolen by an Indios. Marcelo taught him a bit about hunting wahoos and the guy was off the hook. Sorry to stray off the subject, diving and spearfishing in Panama with these guys left fond memories.

Yes you're right about Borra, he's left Nicola Riolo high and dry for participating in International events many times, mainly because the guy has a hot temper. He's all for himself too which isn't in the best interest for a Team win, none the less he's been winning Italian championships since I was a kid and still lived in Italy until 89'.

Murat, ideally you're right but realistically any sport today and athletic programs are largely influenced by their budgets, I think spearfishing the least of many others.

Portugal uh? Well - looks like it's back to Europe again. Not easy for the USA but since the European federations are the ones picking up the tabs whose to argue. Maybe in a few more years...

Mark

Wishbone,

A guy who was in Chile helping Team USA called me last night and said the next one will be in Portugal. I assume he heard it over there and knows what he’s talking about but maybe not.

Scott

I have also heard that the next Wold championship is going to be in Portugal.

Cheers,

Roberto

I guess it would be the same as the Euro - deep hunting and not too rich on catch... My prediction: Spain, Italy or Portugal (if they've learned their lesson from 2003 and the Captain manages to keep them off the hash this time. :D )
The French won't be a big factor - they still cannot put up a normal Nationals after the crisis. Other than that - Greece and Turkey may serve a surprise if they send the deep diving boys and not the ones who win locally by chacing mullets in the shallows.
Unfortunately, Bulgaria won't do well there, I think. We've never been good at deep spearfishing - or fish is at -20 - 25m max...
But it would be quite nice if the Champs are held around Madeira or the Azores, eh? :)

Too bad that my Northern Cypriot buddies can not competer coz of the poletical reasons...We have at least 10 of people who can hunt regularly 30+ meters and dozens of 20-25 meters...

portugal then it most be atlantic. Cold, bad viz and not so deep diving. Am I right on this one, By the way in portugal will merou and conger count? It would be nice with a mullet/bass/ and different kind of sargos comp :)
Johan denmark

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT