• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

World Record Black Drum*

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

defofthecrown

Morone saxatilis
Mar 8, 2003
(*pending submisson to/approval from IUSA)
Hey guys, here is an 83.5lb black drum taken in southern New Jersey last sunday.

I still need to finish the application process for the record, and I'd write more info, but I might try and write an article for puplication.

This girl was taken w/ a stock rabitech stealth 120 that arrived the day before I left on my trip (whew, good timing huh?). Didn't even have time to customize anything :D

The current IUSA world record is a 46lb fish taken by Karl Manner in 1965.

Attachments

• chris black drum 1[1].jpg
    chris black drum 1[1].jpg
    86 KB · Views: 192
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Oldsarge and Alun
Well Done Mate!!!!!!

Give us more details:

Depth, length of shot, where you caught it etc

Again well done!!!

Holy smokes, it's a monster!!! Good work!
If I may ask, tell about the species a bit, please. Never heard of a Black Drum! --Are they good to eat? [sorry if this is a dumb question]
Again, amazing! Congrats!

Pogonias cromis, or Black Drum, range from Maine to Argentina but are rare here North of New Jersey. There a popular game fish in the spring when large pre-spawn fish are caught. They purportetly attain weights up to 150lb, but most state records are between 80-110.

They are a member of the croaker or drum family, so there related to red fish and your white sea bass. They eat crustaceans and shell fish and are most abundand where estuaries drain into larger bodies of water.

As far as table fare goes it can be an esoteric food. A lot of people in NJ think it's great and tastes like veal. Others won't go near it. In the summer the larger fish also have parasities in the tail portions of the muscle. The best eating fish are said to be smaller (as always).

My friends have been catching them up tp ~25lbs of late.

After this catch I found one report on the internet of a 73lb fish speared in New York and a few large fish also from NJ.

Pogonias cromis, or Black Drum, range from Maine to Argentina but are rare here North of New Jersey.

Now Extinct? :waterwork Just kidding Def. Good catch!!! Congratulations!!!:D

Last edited:
Just recieved word that the record was certified by the board from Larry Carter (get rid of that asterix). Haven't seen it on their website yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon
Hiya

Congratulations!!!! Great stuff!!!!

Regards
miles

holly cow!!!
congratulations defofthecrown
have you any pics outside the water?
cheers
David

...now you see why I didn't put this up earlier...listen it was still early in the AM.

Attachments

• weigh in 83_5.jpg
    weigh in 83_5.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 902
I have been wondering what you have been up to lately. I look foward to seeing you and stretch post, and pics of fish shot.That
pic of you and the fish at the jetties looks identical to the jetties I
dive here(minus the fish).Is that you standing with the fish?I've been meaning to give you a call but i'm busy here with the house,
I haven't been in the water for a while but next week Im going to
take a day off and see what happens. Anyway congratulations!!
Albert

FROM BLADERUNNER:

Dude is that at the Jetties At Wrightesville beach?

Hey I'm planning on going down to Jetties for a weeks worth of spearing and diving probly the last week of October or first week of November you guys game for some diving and spearing?

Maybe we can get Matt to come down with his new boat he told me he was shopping for to take us out the Lib ship for some big fish!

Oh when are you guys coming up to Lake Jocassee?

Did the fish put up a fight? the shot looks like ideal one for big fish..
How deep did you nail this one?

Pekka

Blade: This is the a jetty in Southern New Jersey. Just got back from a trip there this week and we were shooting stripers up to 28lbs and flounder up to two feet. It's a long drive but if your diving for a a week you shoot consider it. It's very accesable and always, always lots of big fish.

Pekka: I've got a three page story typed-up which I'm going to send two the two US spearfishing mags. If it gets rejected Deeperblue gets the exclusive! But yeah, he pulled me under three or four times but it was only 25-30 feet and I had a 55' floatline so I just took my time. These guys also have really soft flesh so you need a gill plate shot or the flopper to catch bone on the inside.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT