• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

World record breaker.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Wow! That is a big pargo. I saw some bigger, once, but never took a shoot at them because I didn't have a powerful enough speargun at the time, visibility was poor and the pargos were moving very fast, never giving me more than one or two seconds to aim. With the gun I had, I needed a very good shot, and never got the chance. On top of that there were big waves, close to a big wall of rocks and I couldn't count on the boat to come closer to help me pull out the fish. That day I learned why they are called "snappers": every time those pargos snapped their tails the sound was like a rifle shot: BANG! Anyway, thats my story to add to the never ending chapter of "the one that got away". Ah, but I will be back with enough firepower someday!

Last edited:
Nice Fish......congrats
I see you didn't stone it, those things look like they put up a good fight.

virgili where in NB are you? hows the diving there, i might visit some time next year thats why im asking..is there good diving/fishing around st. john area..
cheers

I'm living in the North West of New Brunswick at about 1 h from St Laurent Gulf and 3h from Atlantic Ocean.
I use to go several times in Summer kayaking/freediving in St Laurent: especialy at "Les Escoumins", one of the best world place to observe whales: bluewhales, beluga, sperm whales,dolphins... but water is about 5/8 F. all the summer.
I did some dives in NB but I prefer to travel to the "South" .It's worth to go to Nova Scotia.(wrecks, sharks,tuna..).
If you plan to do a trip to NB email me.
www.spearfishingmotion.com will organize in Sept 07 a "tuna trip" in N.S., more info in Jan.07.

Attachments

• corner_en.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 151
Just an average sized pargo, not too big. Those are my fishing grounds don`t you hate me?

Pargos are nice and big around here, but they are homicidal, way more dangerous than sharks, they are deep and fight nasty, you don`t want to know the local stories about drowned spearos trying to land a holed up huge pargo.

Absoluty right, cubera deserves to be described as "nasty". I have a bad memory about a very big Atlantic cubera (Cuba). I shot it with a 120 Picasso+ Rob allen 140 shaft in the gills. In a few second the fish took off the shaft like magic and rushed towards me when I was swimming to the surface.. I never forget its opened big toothed mouth looking horrible!

I love this woman.. luv luv luv!!!

Oh ya.. the pargo... thats a bug one..

Attachments

• watermark.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 180
josedesure - erm, i realize that is a Pargo, but there seems to be a differance of opinion as to what is a "BIG" Pargo, hence my request.
Seaman - 70 pounds, oh man that is a nice size, any pics of pargos you shot??

A bad shot with a disposable camera taken in Yucatan (2003)... I guess about 80lb Atlantic Cubera.

Attachments

• Cubera mexico.2003.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 168
Craig Thailand said:
josedesure - erm, i realize that is a Pargo, but there seems to be a differance of opinion as to what is a "BIG" Pargo, hence my request.
Seaman - 70 pounds, oh man that is a nice size, any pics of pargos you shot??

Craig, i'm such a whimp, just not have the guts to shoot one that big, cause you must to be in shape, not that easy, I am a deadly killer of shallower water smaller fishes though ..

Virgili,

Congratulations, nice fish.

Which is the record for Atlantic Cuberas?

Ivan

Virgili - Nice fish, llok at the head on that thing, if they are as tough as they look then i'm with seaman (smaller+shallower)

Seaman - I have never shot one of these, they look like they would be a handfull, at 70lb and that much muscle would need a kill shot!! How deep do they hang out. (We don't get them in Thailand)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…