• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

World Record Splake - 25.57 lbs

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
you can submit a record fish that is not on that list, thats how they get added :)

world record Burbot anyone? ;)

Burbot aren't any uglier than some of those ugly beasts coming out of the oceans, hell ya. Minimum of 5 lbs for freshwater is required.

Very nice fish.

Does anybody know if there is any time limit on submitting a catch for a world record, like from 1976??

Connor

shoot them an email Connor? never know... :p

(have your shirts ready to mail, but working 7am-7pm here, can;t get to the post office)

I wonder who shot the leopard and soupfin that wants their name withheld...that seems dumb, I'd love to hear Bob Ballews story of the blue shark..

No hurry Amphibious.

Para: several black grouper over 65, probably can't come up with witnesses and pics except for the 80 pounder. Even back when big fish were plentiful, that was a big one.
Also Nassau grouper, several 20-25 lbs, which is not all that large. They aren't even listed. Not that it matters, I did not see the 6 month requirement, a very reasonable rule. Still, I'm surprised the record isn't larger.

Connor

A little bit about that fish. That fish (and others shot at the same time) caused some stir on another board and a fishing board with some of the locals near that lake. Some very intolerant hook and line guys did not like spearos taking the big fish out of the lake. The hook and line guys made a lot of bogus assumptions about how it they were taken. Like saying the fish were just laying in the weeds and that guys used fish finders and jumped in on top of them. Both claims were denied, fish were free swimming and bottom finders were used to find structure (just like hook and line guys use) according to the spearos. They were all invited to give it a go, but none of the loudest protesters stepped up.

Nice fish though. Good for him, something to be proud of for sure.

All salmonids are extremely hard to get. Anglers know dick. Not counting waiting in a river while they swim upstream to spawn, which I hope is illegal everywhere.

Last edited:
Amen to that.

Trout are some of the best swimmers freshwater spearing has to offer. They are very fast and agile, giving me the most challenging experiences so far to date.

Hey IlDiver, can you send that link? Or do you have any info. on how/when/where etc. it was taken? Crappy thing about the ISA website is that all they show is a picture. The story behind the picture is often the best part of it.

The part I don't get is the idea that there can be a beer-swilling cigarette smoking idiot on the surface and just because he has a line in the water, that is somehow more reputable to some than people who train to dive down deep and get them using nothing more than the air in their lungs.

Thanks for all of the info.

Looks like that Fish Lake is the place to be. I have run across that lake a couple of times as the lake that some of the records are held at.

Doesn't matter though. Us Saskatchewan boys will eventually flood the record books with our monsters :) Lake Diefenbaker of Saskatchewan will eventually be the "Fish Lake" of Utah!

All a moot point now; looks like the record has already fallen...New record of 27.8 lbs...There's also now a "Mackinaw" record as well...Us in Sask here, just call those "lakers"...
IUSA World Records

Re: Burbot

Burbot – Some call them Poor Mans Lobster.
Come to Flaming Gorge Reservoir in Northeastern Utah/Wyoming and take all the Burbot you can handle. Best results are hunting at night with underwater lights. NO Limits and Spearfishing for Burbot 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, year around.

Check out UtahSpearfishing.com for some specific dates if you want to join our groups.
There are plenty of local accommodations for the traveling Spearo.

www.AtlantisDivers.com
www.UtahSpearfishing.com
2009 Utah fishing guidebook

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT