• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

World spearfishing championships xxviii 2012 : Vigo, spain

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Des B

Oct 31, 2008
I received news that the African Team have been banned form the comp (World Spearfishing Championship 2012 in Vigo Spain)when they tried to register their athletes/spearos? Any news on that? It would be interesting to know what reason(s) is given?

Reactions: foxfish
Des, we normally have some one reporting for us but I am afraid I dont know any details myself, hopefully someone will tell us..?

It seems like there are plenty of crossbow for everyone, a bit of rain every now and then.most team fishing in the shallow foam a few trying their luck in the deep (30 m) looking for groupers. Not much fish as expected but it might be politic speaking. Getting these info from apnea magazine , Italian forum with a boat there but not much Internet connection.

Gospic and linares seems to have done well, not much info available at the port all team delivered their catch in a bag

A friend of mine is on the Norwegian team,acording to him theres lots of fish,then again its kind of depending on what youre used to innit?

As far as I understand its some sort of burocratic miss up that caused the discualification.The score after day one is Argentina,Brazil,Chile as top three,with Norway at 11th. Well done to Atle and Ørjan!

Bureaucratic fumble up?? Or perhaps just a technicality? If it is a serious incident, then yes there must be consequences. I hope it turns out to be something serious for the S African team to be "chased" home! In sports some tolerance is however allowed (or should be) and it would be a pity if it turns out to be a petty technicality!
I hope the front runners in the comp keep it up on this second and final day! They have always been strong and very competitive! Where are the Ukranians and the USA?
Hey guys (organisers) where is the news? We are living in the modern age with Internet and YouTube. Hope there is some news coming through on these media or is this a second hand rated competition? Or did the organisers not "think" of it? Gee guys, this is a WORLD event and there are many, many people interested. Or is it the language that is giving problems? The official documents in english is very very poor and this reflects badly on the organisers in my eyes!

Yeah I know,its close to impossible to get any info on the net.
This sport is a bit new to me,I dont know wich nations are the highest ranking and so on.The Norwegian divers association have put out a picture of the ranking board on their facebookpage,search "Norges Dykkeforbund" and youll find it.It looks as tough U.S.A is last with Ukraine secondlast. As I understand from my mate the contitions is abit challenging with murky,cold waters with a lot of swell.Most of the spearing happening in the shallows,some teams have focused on deeper waters for larger fish.Could be thats why some favorites are ranking low, due to bad luck in the hunt for the big ones?
As I just found some contradicting info about the ranking as I understood it,it might be that I have missread the picture due to stepping on my reading glasses the other day,go check it out for youreself...

Last edited:
Thanks Sjurba,
I took a look at the photos that the Norwegians posted on their site. Good. It looks amazing except that the weather conditions do not look so good!
I see on the photo of the board of participants that the names of the South Africans (SudAfrika) appear: 46. Jaco Blignaut 47. Niel Barnard 48. Fred Bester. Does this mean that at this late stage AFTER the lists had been drawn up and just before the entrants were about to register that the South Africans were expelled from participating? What a bungle! Inexcusable!
I hope the second day brings good fish! If the results turn out to be based mostly on luck then future competitions must be carefully planned to take place in more suitable "neutral" waters. Shallow murky waters are just not for real men spearos!
Please post more news from the comp because the organisers seem lacking!
Des Buthelezi

Well some say difficult conditions seperate the men from the boys There is some rumors in Norway that there might be a comp here in 2016,but the area is not the place I would have chosen,due to the big probabillity of bad wiz,it should be held on the northwest coast;clear waters big and plenty fish,and people used to organize large competitions ( Kristiansunds cup).Just my two cents....
Will post again if I hear more rumors later this evening....

Sjur

plenty of fish for everyone in shallow water (4 meter), Lot probable winner, gospic second and Settimi third. Great second day for the Italians . Btw all second/third hands info.

Thanks JKS & Thomas
Had a look at the vimeo clip. Great to see somebody wants to generate interest! Looks like 'n handsome lot of GB spearos! (All spearos are handsome aren't they?)
Hope the best spearos got the points! You have to be good AND have some luck!
Yes, deep and clear water with lots of fish is the ideal for the future worlds!
Tomorrow the comp is over with some feeling VERY good and lots of others quite disappointed.
But the day after tomorrow the world keeps on turning and all the spearos return to their enjoyment of fun and home waters spearfishing!
Des Buthelezi

Re. The SA team not allowed to compete, this posted by Chris Coates on his blog:

"
SA get Barred from World Spearfishing Champs

As the CMAS World Spearfishing gets under way the South African Spearfishing team is having to sit out. The SA team was barred due to some unpaid subs from last year.... funny they let the team go all the way to Spain to give them the middle finger!

This is the message from Iain Ewing from SAUFF who is over there with the boys and tried to sort the issue out.

Hi all.
We are out of the compo. No diving for the SA boys at all.
Despite all the issues of subs and payments being sorted out the decision was taken by CMAS not to allow us to dive. it's been a hectic few days trying to resolve what we thought was a fairly simple issue. We are very disappointed! Both with regards to not being allowed to compete and the way we have been treated. We have always understood that regulating authorities are there to help with the development and facilitation of sport not the dictation and preclusion of small federations.
This is*truly*a very sad day for the SA side who had giving up work and huge amounts of their own cash to be there. I know Jaco was in fine form and was hungry to show the world what he could do. Maybe the*Europeans*are just scared??

On a personal note I think it is high time that the rest of the world break from CMAS and the*Europeans
control of the sport. Thing change and spearfishing needs a change. Just like in surfing they moved the contests away from the traditional beaches with 2ft slop to the best spots in the world creating the 'Dream Tour'
Just think about that for a moment! Spearfishing competitions in the best spots with real fish not eels and palm sized Black Tail. How practical I*don't*know? But it will be a hell of a lot more interesting.

A big thumbs down for CMAS

Coatesman

"

Moving the Worlds away from CMAS is IMHO a near impossible task. Nations and politics play a too big role! As I mentioned before, even the translated english rules and regulations as well as other documents (also on the internet) do not favour any english speaking country! All are half baked attempts at professionalism! CMAS will threaten any union or federation and it's members with bans or lifetime bans if they ever even dare to think of quitting CMAS! Think about it - they have you by the.....!
From the world stage to the South African incident. Who is to blame? The truth will surely surface. If it is negligence on the part of the SA officials in their federation I think the sportsmen affected have a good chance of individually sueing or "class action" to retrieve damages/expenses. I know of a couple of good advocates that will take the case. Incompetence on every level, especially in senior government circles, is their meat! This should be a walkover with cost if the guilty even dared to contest.
But if CMAS are guilty of even the slightest bungle in the whole affair, it is the duty of the SA union/federation to retrieve all expenses by the athletes. We shall see how they (SAUFF) react. If not forthcoming with answers, all will know where to place the blame. Who is the individual that was soooo incompetent?
The comp should be over by now. Is there anyone that can supply the official results. Be happy, you had bad conditions and not really a good place to show off your abilities. If you have done good, go and have a feast, otherwise also have a feast - maybe 2016 things may be quite different. If only the people with their big mouths could....... you know what!
Des Buthelezi

Last edited:
South African Spearfishing team is having to sit out. The SA team was barred due to some unpaid subs from last year....

"

Just to get the whole picture, what kind of payment was missing? What was the amount? Did cmas asked since last year those money? Why it wasn't paid?

Sorry for the situation.

Deeper blue spearfishing worlds sounds good to me!:hmm

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…